Project shelly 91 st185 *Restarted/Power Steering 5-30-10*

etantshi

Project/car name: 'shelly'
Car type: 1991 St185
Current status: non-running (spun bearing)

Current mods:
1993 JDM 3s
Whiteline works suspension
Apexi Mech boost gauge
Various Powdercoated parts.
SSQV BOV
HKS sport exhaust
Aussie Down pipe.
Custom Midpipe
MR2OC mbc (set to 10psi)
Apexi power intake
Removed TVIS
Custom short shifter
speed source engine mounts
speed source slave cyl extension rod
speed source ss clutch line
ss brake lines
Blackened stock wheels

Estimated HP 250HP Max

Projected mods:
Undecided but needed in order to acheve 450HP.

etantshi

Full shot.

shelly.jpg

Engine shot

engine_bay.jpg

Another engine shot

engine_bay2.jpg

Bringing up the rear

rear_pic.jpg

etantshi

Parts waiting to go in:

ST185RC IC
ST205 Heat exchanger
New swaybar end links
Rear JDM Tail vents
Cusco roll cage
JDM RC/CS momo steering wheel
hood trim pieces
torsen LSD
JDM fenders
Mario's subframe bushings
Mario's rear diff cushion
93 tails
3" midpipe
New water pump
New oil pump
ST205 calipers
JIC coilovers
JDM refreshed long block
HKS cam gears
CF drive shaft
CS front bumper
Ballah wheels
SS shifter base bushings
New rear suspension bushings
Custom PS tank
Grex oil cooler
Calsonic PS cooler
Greddy Tranny cooler
And lots of PC goodies.
TRD gauges

Parts needed:

CS hood
Paint
vairous seals/gaskets

Parts ordered:

Defi parts

Parts installed:

none

smog7

wow i really like the look of the car with the blacked out stock rims,and IC cover. what did you use to paint them? any more pics?

etantshi

On the wheels, I just used a regular flat black rattle can. It was supposed to be temporary, but ended up being permanent when my new wheels didn't come in when I wanted them to (just wanted something a little different from the stock wheel color). The IC cover I just used a black gloss. It doesn't get too hot so you don't really need a high temp. It lasted pretty long. If I had to do it over again I would have had it powdercoated like the intake manifold, CC cover, and exhaust heat shield.

etantshi

The st205 heat exchanger is larger than the st185 heat exchanger and it's easier to find.

The intercooler uses coolant to cool the intake charge, the heat exchanger uses ambient air to cool the coolant.

etantshi

Intercooler: A device installed on the delivery side of a supercharger/turbo charger to cool either the compressed air or the fuel mixture as it passes to the cylinders

Heat exchanger : A device used to transfer heat from one substance to another. Heat exchangers can be air to air, air to liquid, or almost any combination.

An intercooler can be called a heat exchanger, but not all heat exchangers are intercoolers.

etantshi

I got that at least 3 years ago. You see them on yahoo japan auction every now and again. Gotta keep your eyes peeled.

etantshi

Well I've been milling around here and there and decided to take a few pics of my progress and what I've got.

As some of you know I've purchsed a whole motor set from a local importer. I for one will not just drop in and go when it comes to JDM motors of unknown mileage or condition. The Comp test was good, but that's not good enough for me. So I'm in the process of tearing it down and redoing most of the major gaskets seals ect. So as of yesterday I was at this point:

bareblock.jpg

Block has been fully stripped of everything on the outside. Pistons rods and crank all look good. However the coolant passages are horribly rusty. Rust coolant passages is a sign that the motor has been sitting a long while or someone didn't use proper coolant. Soooo... time to break out some proper means to handle this problem.

rustremover-1.jpg

steamer.jpg

(the steam cleaner is probably the most worthwile 30 dollars I've spent)

Now it's time to get to work.

dirtypasseges.jpg

After a bit it's coming along nicely but still could use a bit more elbow grease.

semicleanblock.jpg

When that's said and done, I go from having 100% rust to about 1-2% or so. Most of it is loose and will be flushed out later.

cleanblock.jpg

So for the short block everything is done. Still need to redo the pan (little paint won't hurt), and button up the fr/r mains oil pan ect.

I have many many new gaskets and whatnot ready to go in.

newgaskets.jpg

As of now, it's time to start on the head. After seaming that away with purple steam (coutesy of 25% purple power and 75% water in the steamer) it's time to tackle the valve seals.

headwork.jpg

That's where I left it. Still unsure of if I'm going to go with gen III cams and shimless buckets. We'll see.

Here are some more teaser pics of what's ready to go in.

newfenders.jpg

New fenders compliments of jhot

Coilovers, ect ect.

That is all for now. More updates to come.

darthripley

what kind of paint did you use on the block?
i've got some engine ceramic 1200 degree paint, but i'm unsure how it might hold up to the heat on the block.

our 4agze is undergoing the same process replacing gaskets, cleaning up etc. also trying to get rid of as much rust as i can.

etantshi

I don't think your block will get to be 1200 degrees. That's extremely hot. I've used 500 in the past with no problems.