Project CMS

toayoztan

I still would keep the fluid in the lines.

Then, at each caliper in correct order, just keep pulling fluid through until it's clean/clear.

Bryan

CMS-GT4

I'll give that a try. I think I am going to buy a press. For the cost of paying a shop here to do press my new bearings, I could do it myself. I just need to read up on doing it, so I do it right. I might get a drill press as well, for making extra brackets as well. I don't trust my hand drill enough to drill out my tierod hole for using my flip kit.

toayoztan

I used my 20 ton press to do all my bearings, bushings, wheel studs, etc.

The hardest thing is getting the knuckle level enough to press them in and out.

If you have any questions on doing them, just lemme know.

Bryan

toayoztan

Yeah, I ordered mine from Toyota and it came as an entire kit with the new wheel bearing, inner and outer seals, and dust ring (the rears won't have the dust ring).

It doesn't come with a new c clip, so be sure to not mess that up.

Bryan

CMS-GT4

I started on the rear brakes tonight. Having a time trying to remove the rear wheel spacers. I hit them with some pb blast and will pick back up in the morning.

CMS-GT4

So it sat all night in some PB blaster. I put an old wheel on then tried to pull it off. I can not get it to budge. I even tried a chisel but I did not want to do any damage. I wonder if a hub puller would be a solution to this.

toayoztan

You're saying the flat mating surface of the spacer is "stuck" to the hub?

Have you just tried heating up the wheel spacer?, then spraying some PB blaster in there to help get it in there? That' what I always do (careful with the fumes/smoke).

Bryan

celigts

I've had this happen. A winter of salty roads will do it. I took a piece of 2x4 and layer it across the rim and hammered it all over to break the seal it had. Spacers where good tho. No problem with them.

CMS-GT4

I tired that, but I just used my body weight to pull on the rim. Still stuck. I am going to go grab a hub puller tonight and mess with it.

CMS-GT4

So the hub puller plus the socket I use for axle nuts was a solution for freeing this wheel spacer. I will put some anti seize on it next time, so they are easier to take off when I sell them. I was going to get the 5x114 adapters, but I am going to hold off until I get my next set of wheels so I know exactly what I need. At least one side of rear brakes goes on tonight. I will try and take the other side apart while I am in there.

EDIT: Based on Rene's site, .46mm thick strips are needed to fill the gap for the rotor and hub. He used .5mm. http://www.turbocelica.nl/541vs550mm.htm

From this we see that 26 gauge is .46mm, just for reference for those looking for metal.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http ... _guide.pdf

I had already bought some .41mm strips, so we wil see if they work or not.

CMS-GT4

Today's progress. One corner is done. Toyota crash bolts installed, braided brake line and st205 rears with new pads and center bore shim. Tonight I need to take apart the other side so I can put it together tomorrow.

This is the brass I got at lowes for shims. about 2.70 for 4. I used a whole piece and I cut a small bit off another to make a full circle. There were four strips and I will end up uses 2 1/3 for this project.
photo1bsb.jpg

Before:
photo5vd.jpg

After:
photo2htb.jpg

back to work.

EDIT: The other side came apart in no time now that I had a game plan. I will put it all back together tomorrow. Then the rear will be done.

Landon

Hey Josh, looking really good. I'm excited for you to get the fronts done as well. Hey might be too late, but if you really want to check your front ball joints the best thing to do is lift the wheels off the ground and try to squeeze the ball joint together with a pair of channel locks. If there is any movement it's bad. This it's specific to ball joints whereas moving the wheel is looking for bearing failure.

CMS-GT4

And so now the rear is done. Honestly, converting the whole rear brakes etc... was a decent bit of work. Getting the first corner was the hardest since I had to hunt for tools in the right size, and read up on things to make sure I do not damage anything. I am sure the fronts will take me much longer since there is a hub change involved as well as possibly making a caliper bracket. I gave myself a couple weeks to do it. I may start today though.

BTW Here is the weight difference for 185 and 205.

185: rotor 10lb, caliper 6lb 14oz

205:rotor 13lb 5oz, caliper 6lb 7oz

CMS-GT4

Any tricks for using a hub puller on a spindle that is out of a car? I have a spare axle, but I have no idea how to make it stick.