Project CMS

CMS-GT4

Yes it is, especially when you don't understand why it feels so good.

I think my boost issues might be fuel related. I am sorting out my fuel pump and octane to verify.

Kyoto

This is prolly a dumb question, but are the TEINs on the softest setting? I can tell you from experience that the HA's are MUCH harder than the SS's. I know what the bouncing around feels like, you get airborne over little bumps at speed!

Only other thing i can think of is tyre pressure - lower it.

Sounds like a fair weapon. Cant wait to see it finished so you can finally enjoy it! :)

CMS-GT4

Yeah, the teins are on the hardest setting. They were set that way to help improve the handling vs the alignment. When I get the alignment next week I will play around with some softer settings on the road to get better response on normal roads.

The mechanic has been put behind. He had to order new C clips for the lsd. He is trying to finish his work on the car by friday. Then its just a matter of having it ready for the dragon.

Kyoto

You're going to love the LSD. If it makes as much difference as mine did, your corner exit ability will be vastly improved. I noticed less (overall) understeer too.

I can't wait to put in my 185 transmission, currently i don't even have a VC diff!

CMS-GT4

So the car is still stuck in the shop. We found out the hard way ht the ouput shafts for the lsd will not work. So when those get here we can put it all back together. Still have things to do before the meet this saturday.

CMS-GT4

I need torsen halfshafts asap if anyone can help. Toyota has them on backorder from japan. Need them this week so I can get the car finished for the meet.

CMS-GT4

So I could not wait. I drove down to Jarco in GA today. I am sick as a dog but I needed the parts. Got the entire st205 rearend including brakes.

We are about to install the lsd, might do the brakes as well. Then the car is ready for alignment. Almost ready for the meet this weekend.

CMS-GT4

Got the car back tonight. Been a long day. The lsd makes a big difference. Turn in seems improved. Now I need to resolve my boost issue. I am going to upgrade the octane in the morning, maybe that will help.

CMS-GT4

Is there a way that one could install this pump wrong? The new walboro pump is quiet, (I think theold one was loud due to going out)

But my car suddenly hits a wall whne it reaches any boost. Its holding backfor some reason.

illGT4

CMS-GT4":j43so3ix said:
Is there a way that one could install this pump wrong? The new walboro pump is quiet, (I think theold one was loud due to going out)

But my car suddenly hits a wall whne it reaches any boost. Its holding backfor some reason.

Check your plugs.
Check your A/F ratio.
Check for boost leak.

CMS-GT4

I think I have a boost leak somewhere.

Never got the car to the dragon. Did not want to risk damaging it.

Had some people look at it today and yesterday.

Boost guage is messed up. Its not reading right. Think I have something really wrong on the vac system. So I am going to sort that out.

Its pulling timing ~10psi. It drives great and normal.

After seeing John's car at the meet, I really want to restore my car. I think I can make it look brand new again. Just going to take my time and do it right.

I am really impressed with the handling. I think it would be even faster in a turn if it had the full power to help add to its exit speed. I have driven this thing at some crazy speeds on some turns that feel more confident than the Z. I can no longer tell if the car has understeer cause I can't seem to drive it fast enough to feel those limits.

When I get things running better I am going to writeup the improvements of different parts. I will say the strut bars help the car a lot. At least on a good road. The lsd is amazing. Single best handling modification I have made. Right there with the whiteline sway bar.

I took a couple of turns, at the same speed I can take them in the z, but this time I felt like I still had a lot more grip. I am going to start reseaching my brake project more cause I feel this thing is going to become far too fast for the stock brakes.

I think I need to change the name of my project. I have a new passion for my car. I am no longer in a hurry, and now I have a proper goal.

Let the revival begin!

illGT4

CMS-GT4":3c6x2jd4 said:
I can no longer tell if the car has understeer cause I can't seem to drive it fast enough to feel those limits.

When I get things running better I am going to writeup the improvements of different parts. I will say the strut bars help the car a lot. At least on a good road. The lsd is amazing. Single best handling modification I have made. Right there with the whiteline sway bar.

I took a couple of turns, at the same speed I can take them in the z, but this time I felt like I still had a lot more grip. I am going to start reseaching my brake project more cause I feel this thing is going to become far too fast for the stock brakes.

I think I need to change the name of my project. I have a new passion for my car. I am no longer in a hurry, and now I have a proper goal.

Let the revival begin!

LSD make the world of difference in most cars. This being less harsh than the mechanical types creates an incredible road/track performance. I have the OEM Torsen LSD in the back of the RC and it's night and day just as you report. Open diffs just don't offer the same traction at turn in. I'm installing a ST205 rear subframe in my other 185 for just this very reason.

IMO, the rear strut tower bar is a much greater addition to the front bar. The whiteline rear tower bar made instant improvement. It's one of the few parts I'm leaving on the car in the recent build.

As far as your Z - Perhaps you can make it down to our meet this May. Only 3 more weeks. I'll give you a ride in mine. You are comparing a modified alltrac to a stock Z. ;) But, that does indeed say something about your alltrac. It's too bad you are so far away or I'd have you up for some lapping days.

Hope you figure out your problems. GL!

CMS-GT4

Remind me about Z days. I would like to check out your Z.

And yes. Stock for stock. The alltrac has nothing on the Z. When I got to really test the car out at first I was dissapointed.

I remembered it being so much better, but in current contrast to the Z it just did not have the steering response of the Z.

The last improvements did push it over the edge though. And I still have not gotten an alignment.

I think the car is great right now, very balanced. Its a different breed than the Z.

I think this car will shine its best on a smooth course on a very well paved road. Where the Z can hold the road about as well, and absorb the harsher road conditions.

So now, my Z is a better rally car than my alltrac...

Anyhow, I know the Z's limits are higher, especailly once there suspension is setup right, however the alltrac is becoming a force to recon with for most cars.

illGT4

CMS-GT4":fukqktvl said:
Anyhow, I know the Z's limits are higher, especailly once there suspension is setup right, however the alltrac is becoming a force to recon with for most cars.

The All-Trac is one of a kind. I will never take any credit away from it.

Of all the cars I've driven and the few I've owned- I still go back the to Celica. It's very tough to beat.

Hope all goes well- let me know if you need help.

8)

Kyoto

I remember feeling like this, the LSD is a great addition.

Good to hear your back on track. I've been a bit unmotivated myself in the last year. My crappy suspension and lack of decent sized wheels/rubber/brakes really bluntens the capacity of the car. In the interim i bottomed out a few times with passengers in the car which caused a few dings in my front pipe, plus my cat melted, possibly due to an aging O2 sensor. The clutch is also totally cactus so thats sapping power too.

So the car has suffeed some setbacks, however i just made the phone call get the ORC clutch put in, dump pipe back on, 185 VC tranny in, plus braided brake lines on.

Despite being poor for a while the car should be good. Hopefully i'll be feeling like you in a week or so.

CMS-GT4

Found a major vac leak. The hard part is finding an adapter for the hose size. Might have to rig something up.

Took it for a run to go find adapters.

In the right light, she looks good.

img4867zp6.jpg

img4872bl7.jpg

img4881oc4.jpg

img4884kz9.jpg