Project CMS

Landon

Wow Josh, I didn't realize you've had yours for thirteen years. That's impressive. you have any thoughts on the keyless entry thing? Mine has never unlocked the doors, just disables the alarm. I would be beyond stoked if I could make it work. Any ideas?

CMS-GT4

What a crap week, between pain, root canals and the parts not being here last week, the week sucked. My bearings came in today, so tomorrow I will have my 5x114 conversion by tomorrow.

CMS-GT4

Bolt pattern of my front hubs is now 5x114. Now I need to decide if I am going to buy a drill press for drilling out the tie rod flip kit and extra bracket or pay a machinist. I just stopped at a machinist who builds high end stuff for the local track racers but he wanted 50 bucks for 2 holes. I figured if I could find a decent drill press under $150 that runs true, that I will just do it myself.

CMS-GT4

So last time toyota did my wheel bearings, they did not install the dust shields, and my extra 185 spindle does not have them either. Is there any good reason to run without them?

I am now looking into drill presses so I can finish this car. The tie rod flip kit came wit a shank bit, but I may want to get a reamer instead so that it has a tighter tolerance.

CMS-GT4

Today, 13 years ago I got my alltrac. I flew to Michigan and bought a showroom quality alltrac with about 68k on the clock. While I like my car, I would trade everything I had done to have it the way it was when I got it. Of course that could never happen, so we just keep trekking down our path of fine tuning.

I am ordering a drill press today so I can do my tie rod flip kit, and then my caliper brackets. I have brackets, but they are for a taller rotor. I am using them as a template to make my new ones. Hopefully next week I have my new brakes fitted. Other than that, been busy with work. Had to get the most painful root canal of my life, and been taking classes for child birth. My baby is coming soon, so I have lots to do. I have a design I am working on, and once its done I am going to start printing alltrac shirts.

CMS-GT4

I just got my drill press. Sears gave me a pain about getting it online, but the local place gave it to me for the same price. I just need to get a tap for my brackets and a reamer for my flip kit. The flip kit comes with a bit, but the machine shop I went to measured it and said there will be some slack. I assume that is why it comes with locktite. It may not be an issue, but I think if I can find a reamer, I might be better off in the tightness department.

Edit: the flip kit came with permatex bearing mount not loctite. From what I read that stuff seems to work on gaps so I may just use the bit that came with it

CMS-GT4

So my tie rod flip kit is now installed. It was harder than expected. I am keeping my dust shield and that prevented me from using my vice. I had to rig up a solution for mounting the spindles and drilling them. Drilling went quick, coming up with a solution to use them with my drill press was the time consumer. Here you can see the bottom and top of the kit installed. That stuff oozing out is epoxy. The one I did first was already cured and it feels solid.

photojzb.jpg

My wife is getting sick of the time this brake project is taking me. The baby will be here soon, and I need this car done so the Z can leave. I drew up my possible caliper brackets. I am waiting on the quote from the steel place to see what it would take to cut the outline, then I will just drill my on holes once they get here.
screen20120827at82304pm.png

MWP

Epoxy??? :shock:

I dont care how strong they say it is, or it appears to be, epoxy will NEVER go anywhere near any of my steering gear.
Steering is too important.

Landon

Oh that makes sense. I haven't noticed much bump steer, but I plan to go a little lower so that might be something I'll be interested in. I'd agree with MWP, however if it is fastened through to the other side and the epoxy isn't the only bond between steering and losing steering, I wouldn't be concerned. but I should just let Josh answer, just my two bits. :p

CMS-GT4

Its this stuff. I am not sure if epoxy is the correct term for it.
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-20297-6P ... B001REV6EW
Its meant to fill any gaps in metal. From what I have read, the stuff is pretty solid.
I assume its there to prevent any movement from the inserts, but I am not sure if its even needed considering the tie rods turns anyhow. Besides, they are bolted down, so the only movement they could provide is rotational.

CMS-GT4

Updated caliper bracket design. Waiting for quote to get it cut out, then I am going to drill my holes once it gets here.

screen20120828at41401pm.png

bozo-merlin

CMS-GT4":20tl0zos said:
It's to alleviate bump steer on our lowered cars.
After a lot of try, i found that with my 4" lower car the best position is still on the upside, but i don't mod the lower ball join point (and suppose you don't too).

I think you will experience a strange feeling and go back to original tie rod end position or start to work on lower ball join.

CMS-GT4

I plan on doing the adjustable roll center someday, but for now I am going to see how I like the flipped tierod end. I'll report back once my new brackets get here and I am back on the road.

CMS-GT4

Plexiglass jig is done. I used the drawings wilwood provides of their calipers to make a techinal drawing of my bracket. Then I printed it, double sided taped it and drilled some tiny pilot holes with a dremel bit, which I followed with the bit I am using to drill the actual brackets. I am going to hook it up tomorrow so I can figure out what size spacers I have to use. Hopefully this can all be put back together this week.

56770d9cf64011e192a022000a1d0114_7.jpg