Switch to full style
Talk about your project car here
Post a reply

Thu May 10, 2007 8:53 pm

So I found a big vac leak. The 185 hose was a bit larger than the 205 fitting. I fixed it. The car runs better and does not pull timing as bad at the boost limit. I ordered a new boost gauge today as well. Once I get my vac reference I am going to go back through all the lines and see if vac is my entire issue.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now

Sun May 13, 2007 12:01 am

Got the new boost gauge in today. Turns out, I run 15-17psi. It pulls timing at 17psi, kicks it back down to 15 psi and hold it down to 10psi after running it hard for a bit. After fixing the one leak it does not pull timing as hard, but still does.

I think the 15psi explains why the car is so damn quick. Would have been nicer if it was that quick at 5psi though. :P

My vac is low though. So I suspect a leak is my issue.

Fri May 18, 2007 12:58 am

i just fixed a vacuum leak on mine. it was the power steering booster valve. i had major idle problems. the hoses were swollen pretty bad and popped off around 15 psi. my car wouldnt hold idle and would stall and the boost gauge read 5 in mh where it normaly reads 19 or 20.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:14 am

Have not had time to touch the car. Been working a lot and trying to get my business off the ground. Plus I have had not luck trying to get 3rd gen vac resources.

Anyhow. I found this on my computer.

A vid of when I first got my alltrac.
As I said... it was perfect. Such a shame.
http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p136 ... racvi2.flv

And a vid of when I first instlled the Teins, new wheels and my paint still looked good.
Notice how the sard exhaust sounds on a stock 2nd gn 3sgte vs the 3rd gen.

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p136 ... I_0570.flv

Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:57 pm

yay for understeer

Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:00 pm

You should hear it now. Not a peep from my new setup.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:58 pm

that was an enjoyable read... :) thanks for the story...

setting goals is a good idea, else the project becomes a bottomless money pit... as much as i'd like to make my car something crazy, i know it makes sense for my time and budget and what i want out of the car to keep it pretty much stock and just do a restoration/recondition on it... i don't want to say "here was my car back then, what a shame..." i have other toys that i can hack up, luckily... ;)

anyway, there are some interesting threads here in this subforum! maybe i'll start one myself...

OH, btw-- i ran across this thread b/c i was doing a search on LSD. you put in a TRD torsen? i'm gonna have to "check" mine and see what my options are. continuing on to my forum search results....

Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:39 pm

Have not had much time to fool with the car lately. Lot of work on the biz, family, sick dog, work etc...

I keep getting the wrong size cap at Home Depot. I am taking an intake pipe with me this time. I plan on testing for vac leaks very soon.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:32 pm

So I went to a plubing shop and purchased a plastic cap w/ 3" inner dia. Then I instaled a fitting that will connet it to my air compressor. I then ran ~20-25psi into the straight intake.

I found 2 things leaking air. My a/c ice vsv, which I already knew about. So I replaced it.

Then I found my oem oil catch can has a massive crack in it that is spewing out air. Which explains my vac/boost issues. At least I think so.

So if anyone knows where I can get a oem catch can cheap sent to me in the State, I would appreicate it.

Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:28 am

CMS-GT4 wrote:So if anyone knows where I can get a oem catch can cheap sent to me in the State, I would appreicate it.

Does it need to be OE?

Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:03 am

I got a guy from the UK sending me an oem one for the cost of shipping. So, I am set now.

I just put some silicone on the crack of the old one. I want to stop the leaking enough to do more leak testing to make sure thats my last leak.

That way I don't have to wait for something else, after the new one comes.

Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:16 pm

So I siliconed and taped up the cracks on the catch can so I could test for more leaks. I found another big one right on the turbo. The clamp on the hose that connects the turbo to intercooler is broke. So I replaced it and went for a test drive.

Idle was better, however after letting off the gas I still get a dip in idle.

Vac is around 17 at idle and goes to ~25 while coasting.

THe car drives good. It only boosts 15psi now instead of 17.

The timing also does not pull near as hard, if at all.

I think I sitll have vac gremlins somewhere but I think I got all the leaks covered. Just a matter of figuring out what hose is hooked up wrong.

Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:22 pm

Good to hear things are going better for your project. :)

Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:14 pm

I think I just need a 3rd gen vac reference then I can double check everything and finish my issues.

Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:23 pm

Time will tell if the LSD vs non LSD will be as dramatic a difference as you have experienced. I hope it is. Thanks for the LSD josh, good luck on your vac problems.
Post a reply