Project Most Wanted

ZTrac

Yeah, goofy name, a total rip on Need For Speed: Most Wanted. But I've had my fair share of running from the 5-0, so it works.

I've had my Alltrac for just about 11 years now. Been gone for the last 5 overseas, and I just started driving it again when I got back a few months ago.

Well, it's got all sorts of leaks right now, and it looks like all sorts of crap managed to gather up inside the combustion chamber, so I'm pulling the engine out and taking it apart, and I figured, why not go all the way?

I don't have anything major planned yet, other than a straight intake, an RC bumper conversion and fitting a intercooler behind it instead of the top-mount, and some engine work.

So far I'm not ordering much, since it's going to be a while before I've got the engine completely apart. But I've got an oil catch tank, new radiator and hoses, intercooler, and bypass valve in the mail so far.

Oh, and yeah, almost forgot. Gasket kits for the block.

EDITED: ADDED SOME PICS

All the thumbnails below are clickable links to larger pics.

alltracshoak

nice clean alltrac there..we should meet up sometimes. i live in stockton so that shouldnt be too far away!...i hardly know anyone with an alltrac that lives near by, especially a st185. you're the only one that i know of now. what year is your st185, it looks amazing and i can see that it's a hardtop :shock:

ZTrac

Yeah, that would be cool. Mine's a 91. I've had it since 1996 when I bought it on a lien sale for only 3 grand. But I've been gone for a long time and I guess it decided to let itself go since no one was around to appreciate it. :-/

As for meeting up, I'm down for that. PM me with contact info, and we'll figure something out. I don't know anyone with an Alltrac around here either, although there is a guy around here who has a regular GT with a 3S-GTE in it with the alltrac hood.

theUNYTEDone

1990CelicaGT-S":2bh1ihg1 said:
I really couldn't think of anything else to call myself. Matt kind of sucks.

:lol: dont be ashamed of your name! our smartest user uses just his name for his username. 8)

ZTrac

So, this is an update on my project, and all I have to say is...

DAMN I HATE WIRING HARNESS CONNECTORS!

ZTrac

Hmm...

I'm pretty sure that to see any sort of significant gain I'll have to take the cat out and run a straight downpipe. Just a thought, but am I crazy to be thinking I can get horsepower gains while still keeping it smogable emissions-wise? I read in a number of places that emissions is more in the tune than it is whether or not you have a cat.

ZTrac

So, just posting an update to my project. As Alltracshoak knows, I've been working on my ST185 on and off for a few months now. I haven't had anything else requiring my attention today, so I've been on the Celica all day long so far. So let's see what I've managed to get done so far.

Radiator: out

Harness: out

Center pipe: out

Front wheels: off

Left spindle nut: off

Right spindle nut: 2 hours and counting, and STILL NOT OFF!!

I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong. I checked the threads to make sure I'm loosening it the right way, and sure that's correct. I've got a 24" breaker bar and a 30mm spindle nut socket. The left one took a little muscle but loosened up like expected. But this right one...boy, that sucker's really torqued on there!

Seriously, I've tried even jumping up and down on the breaker bar and it still won't come loose. I even got a cheater bar for the breaker bar.

Thinking I might have to step up to a 1" drive breaker bar, somewhere around maybe 40" long.

But hopefully I'll have the CV shafts out by tonight, and the propeller shaft overnight...

And then the only thing standing between me and the block coming out should be the engine mounts, unless I'm forgetting something from the book.

Post pics soon.

alltracshoak

sucks alot. im always busy so i wont be able to come by and help out.hope everything goes well with that axle nut and everything else

ZTrac

Finally got the axle nut off about 10 minutes ago. Had a friend come over with his 4' breaker bar and He-Man it.

And now I find that both of the tie rod ends are torn...time for new ones.