New proud owner of a 1993 Alltrac

Soup84

I just bought a 1993 Alltrac and am considering performance upgrades but I'm worried about degrading the value of it. See... it's been garage kept for 6 years with the original paint job and has only had 2 owners. It is in amazing condition. I was also thinking about just putting on bolt on upgrades and leaving it at that.
If I were to do serious upgrades, I'd like any and all advice. I do all my own work and am familiar with the celica (it is my 4th one) but I know there are plenty of things I don't know especially considering it's an All trac. Thank you.

tjdouble07

Soup84":35q98v5u said:
I just bought a 1993 Alltrac and am considering performance upgrades but I'm worried about degrading the value of it. See... it's been garage kept for 6 years with the original paint job and has only had 2 owners. It is in amazing condition. I was also thinking about just putting on bolt on upgrades and leaving it at that.
If I were to do serious upgrades, I'd like any and all advice. I do all my own work and am familiar with the celica (it is my 4th one) but I know there are plenty of things I don't know especially considering it's an All trac. Thank you.

Congrats on the new 'Trac!

Got any pics?

Trevor

Sifu

My advice?

- Get lots of money.
- Fix that car so it's in showroom condition.
- Take nice showroom car and hide it in a temperature controlled time capsule.
- Set date to like... 2142. That seems to be a popular date.
- Take leftover money and buy another Alltrac to mod...

Toxygene

The only way to do this right which seems to be the way the vintage Muscle Cars do it is to make sure to keep the original OEM parts and try not to modify anything that couldn't be switched back to stock easily. I would say though to have the car thoroughly gone over first to make sure everything is in tip top shape. Maybe replace all gaskets and filters even if it's superfluous.

If the carpets were worn or if the the seats had even the mildest of tear and wear. I'd have it replaced or repaired. If there are dents, I'd have a dent master pull them out. If there are scratches in the paint, then have someone either buff it out or have the paint touched up. Have the car checked for rust and have it taken care of immediately.

I would put mods as the last thing on the list for a 93 and I would keep them strictly bolt on if you do decide to go ahead. Or at the very least I'd keep them as OEM looking as possible.

Remember that there were about 80 of the '93s sold in the US. Who knows how many remain on the road so that makes the car even more rare. If people mistreat or over modify the cars it will simply make a pristine example that much more valuable.

thebish5thgen

lol it seems there are many more alltrac guys in va than I ever thought.

hrm......looks like I'll be knowin who to call for help HAHAHA

btw any va peoples who need parts let me know.

I was actually wondering something along the lines of the first question.

what kinds of mods ADD to the value of your car?

Letze

Ones that prolong the life of the car :p

Some people actually value the stock more than a heavily modded car, because there has been limited tooling around that could damage the engine.

Suspension/coil overs and breaks would be a good one.

I'm currently keeping handling as my main focus until I have the money to do a full power upgrade to the car

Hotrodhendrix

Yep I would put some really rare stuff that was an option for them some where in the world. I have some stuff for sale... :wink:

Toxygene

Hotrodhendrix":1m6kclgz said:
Yep I would put some really rare stuff that was an option for them some where in the world. I have some stuff for sale... :wink:

Whatcha got mang??? :smokes:

The cell phone option in the US sounds awesome. You'll need the special side window with the antenna built in though. I think someone on here has that in their Alltrac. I also heard about the two radio antenna feeds that come to the back of the stereo. Some people have removed their masts to use the one built into the back window. I saw somewhere that there was an option for a ShortWave type radio on some of the Toyota cars. So maybe that was what the other antenna was for? Either way, rare stuff and of course since it's Toyota factory options, very likely to add value to the car.

ToyotaCDCassnew.jpg

2of81

Suspension: I would do Tein Coilovers or a setup that can be swapped back to stock.

Exhaust: I would do a exhaust setup, since the factory midpipe always seems to bust of corse save your old stuff.

Exterior: I would go with wheels, spacers, and a RC conversion including front fenders.....just so you can keep the pristine OEM serial numbered parts safe somewhere. Tint always works too.

Stereo: my '93 had an aftermarket alarm hacked in....so I felt it would be ok to install in a total aftermarket stereo setup.

Engine: I would do an aftermarket clutch, and flywheel reseal the whole engine, CT27, 550's and ATS rom tune, small battery with an intake, just try to make it where it can easily turned back to stock. All in all just how far you want to go. Maybe an RC intercooler or FMIC that requires no hacking.

I think the most important thing kinda like you see on old 60's muscle cars is numbers matching stuff....just keep the orignal block and trans around for the future.

Toxygene

2of81":26odmfli said:
Suspension: I would do Tein Coilovers or a setup that can be swapped back to stock.

Exhaust: I would do a exhaust setup, since the factory midpipe always seems to bust of corse save your old stuff.

Exterior: I would go with wheels, spacers, and a RC conversion including front fenders.....just so you can keep the pristine OEM serial numbered parts safe somewhere. Tint always works too.

Stereo: my '93 had an aftermarket alarm hacked in....so I felt it would be ok to install in a total aftermarket stereo setup.

Engine: I would do an aftermarket clutch, and flywheel reseal the whole engine, CT27, 550's and ATS rom tune, small battery with an intake, just try to make it where it can easily turned back to stock. All in all just how far you want to go. Maybe an RC intercooler or FMIC that requires no hacking.

I think the most important thing kinda like you see on old 60's muscle cars is numbers matching stuff....just keep the orignal block and trans around for the future.

Suspension: Do TRD. Easily returned to stock and they are rare parts that would add value. White line is a more complete system of components but then you'll be changing a lot more. Also on the Teins I heard that there was some modificatioin needed when using the Whiteline swaybar in the rear. I'm not sure what it was but I do know that there was something that had to fixed.

Exhaust: Save your stock exhaust and either go with the HKS sport exhaust which happens to look a lot like the stock exhaust or with the Aussie dual tip which again looks a lot like the stock exhaust. As for the down pipe and mid pipe, you should propaply save those, have them cleaned up and make sure not to loose them. It would be fine going with the Aussie Exhaust down pipe and mid pipe as well. Good quality products from everything I've heard and easily returned to stock if the need arises.

Exterior: If you really need to go with Rims then get ones that don't need spacers. Either 30 offset all around or 30 up front and 15 offset in the rear for a super flush look. 30offset all around will look fine though and won't need a spacer. Ideal would be keeping the stock rims and putting 225/50/15 for the widest available tire on the stock rim. You could also get either TRD, TTE or even the OZ factory option rims which are super rare and would add value. Don't change the fenders, hood or anything else. That would be considered a hybrid Alltrac and hybrids are not as valued as originals. Not to mention that unless you store your original fenders someplace safe, they are going to get scuffed or scratched. Also, paint fades and if it's kept in a dark place, your car's paint will fade. Even if it's a little bit the fenders and car won't match if you ever put them back on. It will suck and you will feel stupid.

Stereo: This depends on how anal you want to be about originality. If your stock system works and even if it doesn't, you could always keep it or have it repaired. Otherwise, this is kind of a creature comfort and well I wouldn't blame you for putting in an aftermarket system. Finding a rare Toyota option like the cellphone option would add kudos but it's really about what you can live with. As a footnote though, there are other options out there that would allow you to keep the stock stereo and still fine tune the sound and give you more control over how good it will sound. I'd check out some of AudioControl's products if you want to go this route.

Engine: I would really stress maintenance and replacing stock parts before you do any sort of power adders. Clutch is a disposable item and unless you're planning on going with insane gobs of power, I'd suggest getting an aftermarket clutch that is more geared towards driveability. As for a flywheel, some people believe that the stock flywheel is better for autocross and twisty roads. A lighter flywheel will help you spool faster but it will also loose it's inertia faster which some believe is not as beneficial in twisty roads. You can come to your own conclusion on this based on what you plan on doing with the car however. A CT27 is not a bad option as it still uses the stock turbo housing. Just make sure you have all the supporting power modifications to take advantage of the turbo. I'm not big on straight intakes as you end up sucking in hot air from the engine bay. I'd rather put an HKS stock replacement foam filter, or a TRD stock replacement filter. Also, if you start moving things around in the engine bay you might end up with shorts and other electrical issues. As for an intercooler upgrade, I would rather keep the stock hood and updgrade the top mount intercooler. I would read this before you do anything: http://www.mrcontrols.com/primers/power.htm

Just remember that this car is a rare car and the more you customize it the more you might end up devaluing it.

2of81

2of81":22rvbkml said:

Toxygene":22rvbkml said:
Suspension: Do TRD. Easily returned to stock and they are rare parts that would add value. White line is a more complete system of components but then you'll be changing a lot more. Also on the Teins I heard that there was some modificatioin needed when using the Whiteline swaybar in the rear. I'm not sure what it was but I do know that there was something that had to fixed.
Well um, the brake line holders on the Teins need to be bent to avoid a whiteline swaybar. When you hear something pay full attention, like the revisions on the new Teins were for the EDFC on the regular All-Trac hoods, nothing to do with the sway bar issue.
I wouldn't do the whiteline kit because you need to hack apart the stock struts...I would only do a setup thats eaisly swapped back to stock, unless you buy another set of struts and mounts to just swap out the whole assembly....kinda like the Teins are. Plus when you compare price on a Whiteline strut/spring combo vs. Tein, the Whiteline seems overpriced for the lack of adjustments.

Exhaust: Save your stock exhaust and either go with the HKS sport exhaust which happens to look a lot like the stock exhaust or with the Aussie dual tip which again looks a lot like the stock exhaust. As for the down pipe and mid pipe, you should propaply save those, have them cleaned up and make sure not to loose them. It would be fine going with the Aussie Exhaust down pipe and mid pipe as well. Good quality products from everything I've heard and easily returned to stock if the need arises.

Basically what I was getting at, but my reasoning was to get the midpipe off there before it busts. All exhaust systems out there are the easily returnable to stock kind, not only Aussie. I would only do exhaust if you are set on performance mods....me I like a quiet car with stock exhaust.

Exterior: If you really need to go with Rims then get ones that don't need spacers. Either 30 offset all around or 30 up front and 15 offset in the rear for a super flush look. 30offset all around will look fine though and won't need a spacer. Ideal would be keeping the stock rims and putting 225/50/15 for the widest available tire on the stock rim. You could also get either TRD, TTE or even the OZ factory option rims which are super rare and would add value.

Spacers are OK...and if "Ideal" would be the stock rims sucked in, I don't want to hear about your ideal women. Plus 30 offset up front and 15 in the rear makes a real bitch for rotating tires....TRD, TTE and or OZ never made factory option rims for the ST185. My JDM ST185 catalog has some 15" BBS mesh gold wheels of that era....but why? Wheels are like shoes...they can be swapped out and if your like me you have several sets of aftermarket wheels....so big deal on nitpicking wheels.

Don't change the fenders, hood or anything else. That would be considered a hybrid Alltrac and hybrids are not as valued as originals.Not to mention that unless you store your original fenders someplace safe, they are going to get scuffed or scratched. Also, paint fades and if it's kept in a dark place, your car's paint will fade. Even if it's a little bit the fenders and car won't match if you ever put them back on. It will suck and you will feel stupid.

So if I turn my All-Trac to a hybrid and back to USM spec is it still devalued. If you want to get that nitpicky on devaluement an entire frontend without VIN numbers is devalued to some. If the car is 100% orignal and never wrecked or ever sprayed YES leave it alone. If your worried about paint fade from the car being out and the fenders in I would say they won't match because you can't polish and wax that stupid feeling look...what do you do peeling off that 14 year old dealership sticker and getting it to match? Yea the fenders should be stored safe to keep from being scratched but what keeps them from getting scratched in the parking lot on the car?

Stereo: This depends on how anal you want to be about originality. If your stock system works and even if it doesn't, you could always keep it or have it repaired. Otherwise, this is kind of a creature comfort and well I wouldn't blame you for putting in an aftermarket system. Finding a rare Toyota option like the cellphone option would add kudos but it's really about what you can live with. As a footnote though, there are other options out there that would allow you to keep the stock stereo and still fine tune the sound and give you more control over how good it will sound. I'd check out some of AudioControl's products if you want to go this route.

I was just getting at to not cut any wiring, mine already had a butchered harness from an alarm install, so I was like why not install some badass replacements and a Fosgate amp.

Engine: I would really stress maintenance and replacing stock parts before you do any sort of power adders. Clutch is a disposable item and unless you're planning on going with insane gobs of power, I'd suggest getting an aftermarket clutch that is more geared towards driveability. As for a flywheel, some people believe that the stock flywheel is better for autocross and twisty roads. A lighter flywheel will help you spool faster but it will also loose it's inertia faster which some believe is not as beneficial in twisty roads. You can come to your own conclusion on this based on what you plan on doing with the car however. A CT27 is not a bad option as it still uses the stock turbo housing. Just make sure you have all the supporting power modifications to take advantage of the turbo. I'm not big on straight intakes as you end up sucking in hot air from the engine bay. I'd rather put an HKS stock replacement foam filter, or a TRD stock replacement filter. Also, if you start moving things around in the engine bay you might end up with shorts and other electrical issues. As for an intercooler upgrade, I would rather keep the stock hood and updgrade the top mount intercooler. I would read this before you do anything: http://www.mrcontrols.com/primers/power.htm

Basically what I meant, I just did a hurried up version of the basics, YES do reserch before pumping up the boost. Resealing an engine to me means pulling it out and doing all the gaskets and maintence. Cold air or stock box, I am pretty sure the air will be hot, I was just getting at opening up the flow. If your recomending the lil green HKS mushroom filter that bolts to where the AFM sits at stock, I would bum on the filter being used because it doesn't filter that great from what I have read.

Just remember that this car is a rare car and the more you customize it the more you might end up devaluing it.

If your in it just for the "value factor of a rare '93" I would just leave it alone, park it, and store it for Barrett Jackson 2043 (Don't forget that TRD licence plate surround for max $$$). There will always be a moron out there to mess something up, if it's a wreck, breaking into your car or acts of nature like tree limbs or hail.

Well it looks like you made the same point as before my post as to make it returnable to stock, which is basically what my post was about. I'll tell ya that putting on TRD parts will not add more value to the car than the part did cost, nor will some stereo out of a Previa Minivan or another Toyota.

If you want another way to devalue the car put lots of lots of mile on it.