97JZA80's ST165..minor update

ChrisD

I like the look of those wheels! What size tires you running? Also curious if you have any rubbing issues at all or needed to install spacers?

97JZA80

Tire size is 215/45/17, just a slight rub in front on hard maneuvers. The car is lowered with the eibach spring kit from a gts. Site says lowers 1.0"F 1.0"R, but thats on the gts, the trac is heavier so it went lower IMO. part number for springs 8212.140. Spacer was installed in the rear, if not the tires hit the shocks. Spacer used was Mr. Lugnut spacer part number C7105. says its 5x100mm or 1/4 inch thick. Local places did not have it, had to order online. And like I said Prius center caps look great, snap right in and give you your toyota logo. Hope that helps man, the only difference is your Intrax spring setup. So if you have a rough idea what that dropped your car that might help.

97JZA80

Havent been doing much lately the cars really just been sitting waiting for me to find time/gather parts for the big upcoming project. But in the meantime some small changes...

Short Shifter installed with new oe boot

Before

t7y0dl.jpg

After

2dqrhv8.jpg

29z1xnd.jpg

JDM Tail Vents Added

2nrja02.jpg

JDM corners, brand new thanks to my bro...

k9w11w.jpg

2pza3xk.jpg

4g2mxd.jpg

14o9glt.jpg

edit...Just realized you can totally see my tundra in the reflection of this pic, looks cool

Hope to be getting my brothers car running shortly, actually 2nite. Then at the end of the month mine goes under the knife...On deck:

Rebuilt Head
Rebuilt upgraded turbo
Cometic Gasket with ARP studs
Powdercoated items
replacement manifold
misc custom fittings/new gaskets
fix ps leak
EGR removal
Finally install splashguards.
New midpipe...still debating the full exhaust I have..not sure if I want single or twin tip..twin tip is on the car now, full SSauto single tip kit is in the basement brand new. Midpipe is fkd though so thats def going in.

Gonna be a good project but the wifeys away all wknd with my son so it works out well...anyway until later...

Kcman91gts

Thats really neat , where did you happen to come across to the turn signals and jdm corners , ive been looking high and low for those for months now ... and its silver ... sigh.

97JZA80

Kcman91gts":2046h7be said:
Thats really neat , where did you happen to come across to the turn signals and jdm corners , ive been looking high and low for those for months now ... and its silver ... sigh.

The rears came from AUS, check on st162.net guys name is stig that hooked me up. The fronts my brother made a contact in the UK and got them shipped over for us.

JDM/ADM/USDM....Who cares...PIMP orange vented tails...lets go with that.

SleepingTurbo

^LMAO
awesome thread, nice project. my trac was the same color, but i painted it white instead. i think you should just get a respray in that color, think its looks fantastic on that body style. just my opinion tho. good luck with any future plans

97JZA80

SleepingTurbo":3vladovt said:
^LMAO
awesome thread, nice project. my trac was the same color, but i painted it white instead. i think you should just get a respray in that color, think its looks fantastic on that body style. just my opinion tho. good luck with any future plans

Thanks, not sure right now...have a plan for a respray but that wont be for another year at best...

97JZA80

Massive Update....

Its been a while since I updated this thread. I guess in July I decommissioned the car because of oil leaks, ps leaks and I think the turbo finally gave way because it was smoking a lot more. Around the same time we put my brothers car together and got him running. So timing was a little delayed, I don’t even really remember when we started my car my goal was to have it running by inspection which was 11/30. I missed that and Im still battling some issues but here is an account of this little project. Various things seemed to slow us down as Im sure you guys are well used to.

Project Goals:
Repair PS leak
Rebuild Head
New Head Gasket-Cometic
ARP studs
Misc new gaskets
Reconditioned 54 trim turbo
Revised oil line fittings
Replace incorrect midpipe with correct one
Replace cold start injector line
EGR Mod....props to mafix
Clean up 4th gen starter mod
New injector o-rings
Replace crack exhaust manifold…mafix again.
Install turbo and aftermarket downpipe bracket since the car came with neither.

Now because timing took a while waiting on parts some things were added:

Powdercoat-Tower bar, pressure tank, valve cover
Ceramic coat-Silencer for exhaust, manifold, and downpipe
Chrome-Pressure tank(You'll see…), intercooler plate, and new turbo housing
Intercooler Paint/Refurb/Clean
Wire car for future stereo
New Kenwood Head Unit
Catch Can
Battery replacement/movement
Custom Intake
Bypass Valve
Fuse box move
New OE wheel locks
TRD oil cap
Smoked Bumper Lights to match JDM corners
Nicer Battery Terminals
Removal of various rusted parts to paint black
Removal of tow hook over exhaust

Im sure im forgetting something…..but here goes the pix…..

Project Kickoff:

2mz08zk.jpg

Torn Down:

4sb829.jpg

2dkluhc.jpg

New Gasket and Studs installed:

ixgjzc.jpg

Head torqued down to lets just call it the Mafix/Esracing spec

14wtvyu.jpg

Shot of new turbo:

fbkyzt.jpg

Pix comparing the old to the new, I had to take the new one apart to clock it. Fun Fun....

2agvus.jpg

2ykc8du.jpg

Powdercoated parts: I wanted a different color than what you normally see and I have future plans to integrate this color better, stay tuned.

28kr2hd.jpg

Failed Powdercoating attempt: to say we had issues with our coating guy would be an understatement..I will just leave it at that.

wkka2t.jpg

Around this time I got retarded with coatings….

Ceramic coating: I coated the exhaust manifold and downpipe. Then coated the silencer for the exhaust since I hate the way they look.

2urvwbo.jpg

Chroming…not happy with the chrome guy either but it looks ok.

Since the previous pressure tank was destroyed another was sourced and sent out:

34hxgdk.jpg

Turbo take 2…

2i9td0z.jpg

The intercooler and intercooler name plate were also refurbed and cleaned. The inside of the intercooler was insane, if you haven’t cleaned it, Id suggest doing so. I soaked it in a bucket and the solution was black. The intercooler was then high-temp painted a gunmetal color and the nameplate was chromed for a different look. The one I sent out had significant pitting so I probably need to do this again since some of that is still visible. I also added stainless steel fasteners because I wasn’t putting the rusty crap back on. But even that was a challenge because the intercooler mount that’s attached to the head was stripped. I had to drill it out and rethread it and get a different size fastener.

116mix5.jpg

Now for a few misc things:

New Head unit: this was solely purchased for the AT meet that went down, I knew I had some time in the car and wanted a better setup. Car never made the meet, oh well next time.

24pcbxw.jpg

I had some down time at various points and one thing that bother me was the bumper lights up front and how bright they were compared to the new JDM corners my bro hooked me up with. So I sent them to have them smoked to match better.

For Comparison:

sbo6jm.jpg

And together: blury but you get the idea.

amees0.jpg

New Midpipe to go on. Not on yet due to inspection considerations, but I need to get back under there and tackle it since the original is leaking.

2lmarnm.jpg

I have the full SS auto exhaust but Im really just holding it for now, I needed the midpipe above and wanted to buy the SS since it seems to not always be available.

This is whats on the car now, looks like a 2.5 inch, anyone know what exhaust this is? Tow hook was cut off and por15 the cut portions…

24o7g9z.jpg

Hopefully my last revision to my oil lines.
KO racing oil pan adapter with an earls adapter to go to my SS lines.

9ie3qg.jpg

Custom KO made pressure side banjo.

2vl4fq0.jpg

5$ Bypass valve mod, this is still undergoing testing:

15dmosj.jpg

This pic shows the slight modification I had done to the head, since this area cracks. When he repaired the head, I had them add a brace to help prevent future failure.

dxic9f.jpg

Not exciting but my 4th gen starter mod cleaned up:

2zscyzq.jpg

TRD oil cap: still has the protective plastic wrap on it…I know Im lame..

o5120m.jpg

EGR mod:

9hukia.jpg

Custom Intake, Catch Can, Fuse Box and battery movements, terminals…this was fun fabbed up some small brackets to brace and mount things. Took time but worked out clean and retained my goal of having everything under the hood.

13z641s.jpg

29z5t20.jpg

Everything being quality checked by my new quality guy. He has some tough standards but lets me slide on safety (no shoes):

33z7lvk.jpg

And Finally the entire engine bay: except for that nasty radiator it looks pretty good…its on the list for replacement….

263ae06.jpg

30cvtl0.jpg

Close up of turbo area:

1f42e.jpg

I think it came out pretty good. Big props to my bro for all his help throughout the project. My big F up was I mixed up a coolant and vac hose and pumped coolant into the intake on the first start attempt. :doh: My brother figured that one out for me. Status as of right now. Bad exhaust leak soon hopefully to be rectified by the midpipe above. Idle is a little off.

And my major issue is that the acceleration is not good right now. It seems to make good boost but doesn’t go anywhere. Sometimes it catches and goes pretty well but most of the time it doesn’t. So that’s my issue to figure out right now. I am going to get the exhaust fixed, do a boost leak test, remove the aftermarket FPR that was installed and check my new Bypass valve setup. Hopefully one of those things is it, if not Im not sure. Open to any and all suggestions.

Then from there its on to get her tagged again and hopefully a return to active daily duty, my truck was recently rear ended and I kind of need this puppy up and running.

Well that’s it for now….any questions let me know….sorry I know it was a novel.

LegacyofDan

holy awesoneness! love all the pics....i just had a hell of day cursing my alltracs...and swearing that they are fated for ebay, but i think you have seeded hope back into me :) thank you! :notworthy:

i really liked that head mod to prevent future cracking, your bro was telling me about that, i like it! good idea!

97JZA80

RedCelica...she goes under the knife in a few months once I get some other projects off my plate...will definetely need a quality guy then!

Dan...its funny how tey do that to you...you hate them....then you see them sitting there innocently begging for more man hours to be pumped into them... :bangshead:

Yeah that mod to the head wasnt our first idea, we were/are trying to retrofit the 185 brace but in the meantime this is an alternative....we'll see how it holds up. Stay positive!

Sifu

Looking good!

BTW if you wanted a good handling car to compliment the supra I suggest an MR2 (AW11)... Other than that keep it up!