My GT42R st185 project

tjdouble07

Well, I got my beast of a new turbo in the mail at 7:30 PM Friday night... This thing is HUGE! Pictures do it no justice. Just think 37 lbs with the compressor housing being nearly a foot across in length. Just got back home and decided I'd take a few pics (sorry, couldn't find my nice camera this very second, so had to use the Wal-Mart special, so the pics kinda suck). I'll try to take a few more with a better camera when I get a chance. Basically wanted to give you a comparison of size... The first pic is showing the turbo in comparison to my spare .82 A/R turbine housing for my GT35r which has a 3" outlet. And the Coke can comparison is pretty much self explanatory... :p

imag0024ba6.jpg

imag0028yo6.jpg

ST185pinjo

That is truely a BFT! 8)

I have seen NoShoe's setup on the mr2oc. Will yours be similar?
Are you going to run more rpm's?

good luck on the build.

hacker_720

a million

( I saw another post with a guy running 42 psi, I think it was the same turbo, can't really remember though)

Olli

That is massive! What is actually the goal ur aiming at with this setup? :) Any link to a project this turbo has been used on a 3sgte?

tjdouble07

Olli":tmphhwtl said:
That is massive! What is actually the goal ur aiming at with this setup? :) Any link to a project this turbo has been used on a 3sgte?

What's my goal? I'm not totally sure yet. Just know I would like to be able to run mid 10's on a full interior, full weight All-Trac. The only thing being ditched so far will be the AC. As far as links to setups of people running the GT42r, here are a few MR2's running GT42r's, but as stated above, the only alltrac that's pubicly stated running one is that drag car in Russia. I know No Shoes will be running one in his MR2 with a custom kit Kris at KO is doing for him, and you can see pics on koracing.net here: http://koracing.net/gallery.php?folder=46 . As far as other MR2's, you can go to mr2oc and go to the MR2 Dyno Registry and see the dyno video of Jeffrey Burke's 808 WHP MR2 on a 42r.

BTW, I'll be ordering a manifold tomorrow for this beast, and should have first pics of it bolted up under my hood in 8-10 weeks... :p

More updates to come. :)

Olli

Some sick numbers ur aiming at! I have to say I like the idea of keeping it kind of a street car. :) This really is a nice project to follow.

Keep up the good work!

Olli

Hmm, started to wonder that are u also going to use the std ARP bolts like Alex in his project?

Dunno where I read it from but I thought there was some kind of limit of boost(?) that the ARP bolts can hold and it wasn't that high really. If u are using them, how far u think u can go with them?

-Olli

tjdouble07

Olli":v6a7soqe said:
Hmm, started to wonder that are u also going to use the std ARP bolts like Alex in his project?

Dunno where I read it from but I thought there was some kind of limit of boost(?) that the ARP bolts can hold and it wasn't that high really. If u are using them, how far u think u can go with them?

-Olli

No, I'm gonna be running L19 head studs and a new Cometic Phuzion headgasket. I'm not as crazy as that Russian guy. :p

RedCelicaTRD":v6a7soqe said:
Which manifold?

Well first I was gonna have Kris at KO build me one, but he said he was too busy at the moment and it would be a month+ before he could start it, and closer to 2-3 months until it would be done, and at the moment it was just something he wasn't sure if he had the time to tackle (still needs to finish No Shoe's setup). Then I talked with Full-Race, and they said they could make me one, but then they said they couldn't guarantee fitment of the 42r. And I don't mean whether it would hit the hood or radiator, I'm talkin they couldn't guarantee that it would clear the engine or slave cylinder/cylinder line. Then after I told them I wasn't willing to spend the $1300 plus shipping for something they couldn't guarantee fitment on, they told me that if I paid in full right now, they could tell me in a month or so if it would fit after they finished one of their customer's MR2 manifold who's putting on some other t4 flanged turbo, and if it did clear everything would take another 8 or so weeks to build mine.

I'm just pretty impatient when it comes to this kinda stuff... So as of yesterday, my buddy with that GT42 powered STI and I decided we are gonna tackle the manifold design ourselves. He's built a few manifolds, and we will be having one of our mutual friends who's got experience with inline 4 manifold design help also. Both are pretty good tig welders, and I feel have the experience to help me build a quality manifold. Maybe not KO or Full-Race quality, but it should turn out well, and I'll get tons of experience in the process. I plan on taking pics along the way if anyone is interested.

bloodMoney

tjdouble07":2kztfjwa said:
I plan on taking pics along the way if anyone is interested.

Like anyone would want to miss seeing those build pics Trevor...

Good luck with it anyway :) I personally would like to see some vids afterwards. You know...... for comparison....:twisted:

~bloodMoney