My "Nothing Crazy" Project (Picture Dump Page 14)

Talk about your project car here

Postby 91GT4RCboy » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:36 pm

Bulletproof house? :shoots:
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
91GT4RCboy
Club Member

Postby TheNubkins » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 am

Cam at Lightspeed e-mailed me back regarding the issues with the car. He tried e-mailing a few other people and didn't have any luck with ideas on what it could be that's robbing me of power. He also said that when he tried to push the car harder he would get detonation so he had to back off. I'm going to jump ahead and put up a thread in the Power/Performance section seen as how I'm stuck in camp with nothing better to do. Hopefully some more good ideas get shot around and I can try and get to the bottom of this.
The Nubkins

-1990 Toyota Celica All-Trac Turbo
-2001 VW Golf TDI
TheNubkins
Club Member

Postby TheNubkins » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:12 am

Checked the cam location/timing today. Everything was completely bang on and in spec with what the BGB says. When Toyota did the timing belt when I first imported the car and had it inspected they apparently did it right. lol. Did a compression test as well and everything was nice and even across the board as it was back when I first had it inspected. After this we decided to hook up this weird tool the guys in the truck shop next door use to determine the effectiveness of an air intake system. Apparently the stock intake system is really buggering me a lot more than we guessed. We thought perhaps it was mostly the AFM that was the bottleneck, so we removed it and I welded up a new flange and 3inch pipe that we mounted to the stock airbox in place of the AFM. The car runs even better now without the AFM in place, but it's still not flowing as great as we were hoping. At this point I've decided to swap to a smaller battery and shift the battery/fuse box thingy rearwards to make room for a straight 3" intake. I'll probably fab this up in two weeks from now when I come back from work again.

I made a small list of things I want to accomplish in the next while.
-Finish air intake(Straight Intake, shift Battery rearward)
-Small battery install
-Clock turbo for better intercooler alignment
-Tidy Up Loose Wires With Wire Loom
-Replace/Fabricate a cover for ABS block
-A/C repair
-Sandblast/Powdercoat rear diff
-Fix Cupholder
-Fix Radio Antenna
-Fix Faulty ABS Sensor(Driver's Front)
-Redo front seats
-Repaint Black
-Retune on dyno

If the retune on the dyno still has issues getting me around 275awhp I'll call her quits and say she's fast enough and spend my time keeping it maintained. Even at the current 225awhp it's a decently quick summer toy and it'll be nice to spend my time enjoying it instead of stressing.
Last edited by TheNubkins on Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Nubkins

-2001 VW Golf TDI
TheNubkins
Club Member

Postby TheNubkins » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:46 am

I'll be speaking with Cam from Lightspeed in the next day or so(once I get ahold of the work cell...haha) and hopefully this whole thing will be solved. In the mean time here's some random pics of my workplace seen as how I don't have anything new to post on the car.

If you're a welder in Canada and are looking for work let me know. We're currently looking for Journeyman welders.
Last edited by TheNubkins on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Nubkins

-2001 VW Golf TDI
TheNubkins
Club Member

Postby itsoktosmokev8s » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:20 am

what are these parts to? a coal shovel?
'01 Tacoma PreRunner
itsoktosmokev8s
Club Member

Postby TheNubkins » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:30 am

I guess it could be used for that. Up here it's used to load trucks with oilsand/tarsand. In the second pic you can see the "door" being brought into the shop. Just down the bay the clam is sitting there. We tore off all the old wear material, fixed all the cracks, and installed replacement wear plates.
The Nubkins

-2001 VW Golf TDI
TheNubkins
Club Member

Postby pg » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:47 am

Teach me how to be a welder and ill come help, i'm looking for a new career anyways.
90 ST185 SB46 powered
[img]http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8274/gtfour.jpg[/img]
pg
Club Member

Postby TheNubkins » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:30 pm

lol. I don't have enough pull for them to hire on apprentices as of yet. Believe me...I've been trying. For 2.5years my brother worked at the Edmonton shop with me and they sorta screwed him over and didn't sign him up as a welding apprentice, yet he did all the shit welders do anyways. Hopefully he can get hired on up north and work with me as he's currently unemployed(and has been for the last 6 months I think).

Anyways, back to talk about cars. I spoke with Cam at Lightspeed Innovations in Red Deer. He still sticks to the story of the car being tuned well. I don't doubt him, but I think he may have tuned it a WEE bit on the safe side. He didn't mention what AFR it was tuned at, but mentioned he could gain another 20-30awhp as he tuned it on the rich side. He didn't want to tune it any different as he wanted it to be a safe tune. Cam also mentioned the timing/fuel maps can be obtained from the ViPEC, so I need to get a connection cable and software(for some reason I wasn't given these things) so I can check this out with my laptop.

There is a good thing to this issue...the car hasn't been getting any miles put on her. HAHA. I went from putting perhaps 60miles a month on it to around 5miles a month. Maybe one day she'll start gaining value? LOL.

Oh, the air filter showed up so I can finish off the intake. It's a little larger than I had expected but I'll make it fit.
Last edited by TheNubkins on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Nubkins

-2001 VW Golf TDI
TheNubkins
Club Member

Postby pg » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:04 am

I thought he said that he knew what the problem was, so now there is no problem?
90 ST185 SB46 powered
[img]http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8274/gtfour.jpg[/img]
pg
Club Member

Postby TheNubkins » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:17 pm

I think he misunderstood what I was asking about. According to him he thought I was only interested in getting my AFR/Timing info and wanted to tell me it's easily accessed and stored on the ViPEC. How is your car doing? Get it on a dyno yet?
The Nubkins

-2001 VW Golf TDI
TheNubkins
Club Member

Postby ChrisD » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Had a chance to test the TVIS yet? Here's a dyno of a car with TVIS closed to redline:

http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=345548&highlight=tvis

Comparing your dyno:

Might be worth some investigating?
1988 ST165
1994 ST205 WRC
ChrisD
Established Member

Postby MWP » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:22 pm

Ignition is as important as AFR's.
You need to look at the maps for both... get that laptop hooked up :)

Lots of tuners dont tune ignition properly and pull too much timing.
It can have a big effect on power.

If you think you intake might have been an issue, easy test would have been doing a dyno run with it off completely.
Ie, nothing attached to the intake of the turbo.

Having the AFM still there when its not doing anything is quite odd.
Did they tell you it could be removed earlier when you had the vipec installed?
If not, i would be looking for a new guy to do my tuning...
My collection of GT4 documentation: http://gt4.mwp.id.au
Daily: Celica GT4 ST185 (~170kw/atw)
Project: Toyota RA28 '77 Celica (1UZ-FE powered)
Chairman of the SA Classic Celica Club.
MWP
Established Member

Postby TheNubkins » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:25 pm

Hrm...I will have to look into my TVIS then. Cam at Lightspeed reconfirmed that he set the TVIS up properly as I had mentioned I thought perhaps it was the reason for the poor dyno numbers. Maybe he thought he set it correctly but didn't? Worth investigating. Thanks for that dyno plot. The torque curve looks very similar to what mine is doing.

EDIT: MWP was posting when I was so I missed your comment. Hopefully I can get my laptop hooked up next week I'm back home...I fly back to work tomorrow morning so it'll be a while.
The Nubkins

-2001 VW Golf TDI
TheNubkins
Club Member

Postby ChrisD » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:37 pm

Yeah worth a shot - it might be set properly but the wires may be swapped backwards, causing it to be open when it should be closed, and closing when it should be open.

Too bad you're not a bit closer. I bet with a day of troubleshooting we could figure it out.
1988 ST165
1994 ST205 WRC
ChrisD
Established Member

Postby TheNubkins » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:27 pm

ChrisD wrote:Yeah worth a shot - it might be set properly but the wires may be swapped backwards, causing it to be open when it should be closed, and closing when it should be open.

Too bad you're not a bit closer. I bet with a day of troubleshooting we could figure it out.

Haha, you shouldn't mention that, I might just take you up on it. I have family/friends in Calgary so I could justify the trip easily. Plus my one buddy has a 400whp mustang that's still in the works and I'm yet to see it.
The Nubkins

-2001 VW Golf TDI
TheNubkins
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to My Project