Project Elephant: DeeCee's GT4A

underscore

Photobucket reversed their decision so now everyone's pictures are back to working as before. Which is a huge relief because threads like these are a wealth of great information.

deecee

Ah ha - that would explain it. Still, I will move to a hosting solution which I control vs 3rd party. Ideally I want to move everything to a blog and consolidate the information into one place instead of trying to manage it across multiple forums, social channels :)

deecee

You know... I was thinking the same thing the other day. I was browsing the forum, which I rarely do any more and thought that I better get my A into G and update my project.
But to be fair, I really haven't done that much in recent years as I have been working on the RC, Pearl (which is nearly finished btw).

I actually took this photo to upload last week, and you've provided a great reminder to post something
20190114_194624_resize.jpg

So no, nothing has been done for over 4 years with my attention on my career, Pearl and buying my first home.

BUT...

I will be looking to get back into the Elephant project this year in a different format though - YouTube!

Forums are great but for me trying to write a lot of detailed info is time consuming and it takes a lot of up keep. I remember taking anywhere up to 4-6 hours to detail what I had done and why I had done it. So with that in mind, my aim is to do a video series and revisit all the things I have done to the car and what I need to do to get the car finished as well as provide guidance and tutorials for those who are just starting on car projects and would like to learn about parts selection, budgeting, decision making, - essentially the how and the why of these projects which I think is missing for a lot of YouTube content.

So that is the deal with me at the mo - haven't vocalised my plans to anyone but close friends, but now you know what I want to do and how I want to do it :)

Any q's? What would you want to see out of a car project series (always good to canvas the demographic lol)?

Cheers Dave :)

mike325ci

Looking forward to the YouTube series, let us know! Josh (Coldiron) is the only person I know that does regular YouTube on the Alltrac.

I, too, have not touched my car is over 3 years, but at least we still have them! :)

deecee

Glad you still got the car Mike! And yes I will notify the forum when I start. Currently working with a couple of friends to start this up. We have a broad range of cars which I think people would be interested in, so we'll be working out how to make and deliver quality content consistently with our various other commitments.

I've also been debating on getting a ST205 for nostalgia feels and prices are going up in NZ, but I'm not sure I want to spend money trying to get a car to a decent working condition. Better to spend the money on the project cars me thinks.

underscore

More attention brought to these cars is always a good thing in my mind, video vs text always has pros and cons depending on what you're trying to document. If you're going for more generalized information video is probably the best way to do it and get it to a wider audience (rather than trying to post it on a bunch of generalized forums).

deecee

I'll probably end up doing a mix of general progress and detailed tutorials / walk throughs.

Bruce - shhhh for now ;) I'm planning a 'garage' tour series and you are on my list :D

UtahSleeper

Good luck when you do the series. I would watch any reasonable car channel as long as the content is about cars and not just vlogging.

Forums have been dying, so thats why I also went the video path. I spend almost the same time editing a video versus resizing photos and uploading lol.

Good luck in whatever you do.

deecee

Okay, so I wanted to direct some people to information I had posted in the past and realised that Photobucket were basically being assholes and not showing photos unless you buy a subscription.
Subsequently I am now uploading 3000-4000+ photos to my website file hosting so that people can get the information they want/need.

And I may do an update over the last 5 years of non-activity.

Hope everyone is doing well.. yes this is old school in the way that this is happening, but hey, gotta make sure the information is helpful for people

Catch up soon, Cheers Dave

file_upload_191108.JPG

underscore

If it works, it works. I've gotten loads of useful information from here and the personal sites that people here manage. I really should find a way to grab an offline copy for when they inevitably disappear.

deecee

Oh joy, now to rip out all the post information and update the image links. Good thing I'm used to using Find and Replace for my analysis work..
Might be a weekend job - don't expect photo refresh too soon ;)

3610 files, 278MB... and it only goes to 2012 :O
So much to sort out.. Sigh

deecee

underscore":3dmkkl1z said:
If it works, it works. I've gotten loads of useful information from here and the personal sites that people here manage. I really should find a way to grab an offline copy for when they inevitably disappear.
I have backups on backups of my car project photos and info. Too much time spend documenting the progress over the years to lose it all
And I used a Chrome add in to pull down the photos from PhotoBucket just in case I didn't have a copy in my backups