Project tw2: next stage

tw2

I wasn't planning on it. What would you do? I'm not really sure what I could do with it.

tw2

I don't think I will do anything with it right now. This certainly isn't a show car by any means. After I graduate and actually get a job I will get the whole car repainted and probably go through and detail the engine bay a little better. I might make a stainless heat shield though which will probably hide most of it.

phattyduck

You should consider running a 3s-fe/5s-fe Camry/Celica upper radiator hose to give it some flex. They have slight bend in them that allows the motor to rock back and forth under power. A straight hose might rip off or put extra pressure on the radiator.

Looks good otherwise!

-Charlie

tw2

Thanks. That hose is very flexible, its just like the stock stuff. I have been running it for the last year with 2 smaller sections (for the ct26 water line in between) with no problems. I might leave 5mm extra hose in there and use proper hose clamps. I actually have no idea whether my engine can rock backwards and forwards at all. I solid filled both mounts with a very hard polyurethane. You certainly cannot budge it with all your weight on it.

tw2

Nothing much new. I ordered some 12AN teflon braided stainless for my oil drain. It should be a nice tight fit on the fittings I made and I will put some hose clamps on to ensure it can't possibly come off.

tw2

10AN arrived instead of 12 so I had to send it back again so nothing new there. I took the cap off the water pipe. I took some tight fitting hose, screwed in a M10 bolt with some silicon high temp sealant and fitted it on with some high temp stuff and hose clamped both pieces. I think it should work forever.

Also pressure tested the whole system which was fine. I had the engine at TDC and some air was still coming out the exhaust from the intake where I was testing which is wierd. Maybe I didn't have it exactly TDC. I did rebuild the head 10,000 km ago. I put the intercooler piping back together, took the valve cover off, checked everything looked ok and sealed the 6 spots the BGB recommends so hopefully it wont leak oil anymore. Charged the battery a bit and selected the pipe I will transform into a downpipe. So when that drain section actually arrives I should actually be able to start the car.

tw2

Well the idiots say they did send 12AN; just it doesn't have a 19mm internal diameter like they said it did so I bought some non braided oil hose locally. It fits perfectly well so I can theoretically start the car now. I am still a bit worried about where I will get my downpipe welded up since the local exhaust shops don't touch stainless for some reason. Ill have some more pics up after the whole thing is finished and I can actually drive it.

tw2

Started the car today with no exhaust at all. It was loudish but nothing like I thought it would be. It was very tollerable walking around the garage (before I died of carbon monoxide poisoning). It was very clattery like a V8 hot rod with 8 open exhaust tubes. The revs were a bit up and down which might have been due to my flat battery and subsequent ecu reset or the PCV hose which I forgot to put back on my intake again.

It tried to stall a couple of times but I also didn't have my O2 sensor in the exhaust flow but it was hooked up electrically so that may have been causing it dump heaps of fuel??

Anyway it was quieter than the local idiots in honda's who must be illegal so I think I should get to the exhaust shop without attracting too much attention. Going on Monday so will post photos etc

tw2

Dropped the car off at the exhaust shop. Wasn't really that loud at all. Most people didn't even give me a second glance. No problems with any of the kit so far either. Hopefully I will have the downpipe done today and I will go and see if we can get the wastegate routed back into it tomorrow. They seem to think I don't need a flexy in the wastegate pipe and that it shouldn't have thermal expansion issues.

tw2

Got the car back from the exhaust shop. They did a really good job. So now I have a nice stainless downpipe with the wastegate routed into it to keep the warrant inspectors happy.

All I need to do now is make a bracket to prevent it cracking. I have some 4mm alluminium which I cut out today. Tomorrow I will need to grind it to shape, bend it and bolt it up.

I did an oil flush and change today and inspected everything. I will be running 12psi which seems to be at the upper limit of safe on stock ecu/fuel. I might heat wrap my rubber oil drain even though it doesn't really come within 40mm of anything really really hot.

I kinda wanna see and hear about the final product also because my upgrade right now is a little bigger but yours is at least running and mine still has a week or so.

tw2

I have been driving around a little. It is all still holding together fine. Its hard to tell where the boost threshold is as everything happens so fast about 4500. I really need someone else to watch the revs and boost gauge so I can see where everything is happening. No pics sorry. I usually steal my gf's camera. I will have some up by sunday night at the very latest.

Its funny, it really is like a NA until 3500 except like with most big turbo's I can still get 1-2psi from 2000 onwards which adds quite a bit of "off boost" drivability. More like a 2.5-3.0L NA. Today I might venture out onto the open road :D

you will love it. Because you are'nt boosting a lot under 3000 RPM, this is an excellent daily driver because of the increased MPG.

I'm pretty confident that if you do not boost it and you are'nt running it more than 3000 RPM, you will increase your MPG.

Good work, I'm waiting for pics and dyno (if you planned it).

tw2

If you asked me earlier today I would have said this turbo sucks. I was getting full boost at 4500 or later but I just went on an open road trash and I think it is starting to "wear in" or something. I can get full boost by 4000 and it seems to be getting much more responsive lower in the revs. I can pull up to 4psi in low gears.

Whats really awsome is that I thought I was going to have to start changing down on hills etc due to being way outside the new torque band but I can pull 4-5psi in 5th at 2000rpm and still accelerate slowly up a hill (not that I plan to do that ever again)

I am not sure about the MPG thing. I definitely see where you are coming from, I thought the exact same thing until the last drive I did where I am sure even though the boost is lower, I am still flowing at least as much as the ct26 at the same revs in the same gear. It has impressive pull down low.

Anyway so yeah this thing is great! It gets better with every drive. My kit seems to be holding up perfectly fine. I made an exhaust support from 4mm alluminium today for the bottom of the downpipe similar to the ats and ko kits to stop the stainless DP cracking.

Also I get a really foul smell every time I boost hard, possibly crap still steaming off the new turbo + I spilt oil all down the head and below the filter when doing my oil change.

I find it hard to feel how much faster the new turbo is but my gf assures me that it is way faster than the old one and she actually screamed at the top of 2nd and 3rd which has never happened before :D

tw2

Well I drove 400km yesterday. Everything seemed perfectly fine except when I boosted hard I still got a horrible smell in the cabin. It seemed to stop doing it halfway through the trip so hopefully it was just crap burning off from the manufacturing process. The exhaust housing turned blue for a while and the adaptor turned gold and blue but I'm sure when they are heated enough they will go back to normal.

Performance wise it must be heaps faster. When it stick it in 3rd and 100km/h it only takes a fraction of the time it used to to hit 6500. I almost need a shift light its so quick. Then 4th gear has a heap of pull. It only takes a few seconds to add 40-50km/h. I try to be quite conservative with passing but you really don't need very much time at all, you can pass anyone in 3-4 seconds. Boost hits kind of slow when you accelerate from low rpm rather than hit fast, I'm not sure if this is due to my boost controller settings or whether the turbo still needs some time to get used to its new role in life. I have read that journal bearing turbos sometimes need up to 300-600 miles to fully break them in.

Anyway its going really well and I have a camera at my disposal so maybe later today I will snap some pics.