20v All-trac Corolla

warmachine

i have a corolla all-trac wagon that im probably going to put a 20v in.
does anybody have any experience with swapping a 4afe with a 4age? (i know this might not be the best place to ask, but it worth a shot) the only thing like that i have ever seen is on turbocorolla.com,
http://www.turbocorolla.com/cars/larsc.htm
but that guy is in australia, and i dont even know if he still has the car or if he even did it himself.

maybe a turbo in the future if the swap is succesful, a 20v would take it alot better than my 211,xxx mi 4afe!

tw2

Everyone here plays with 3sgte's so I am not sure too many people will happen to have experience with 4a's but it can't be too hard. If the block, driveshafts and mounts are the same then it should be pretty straightforward.

darthripley

you might want to go with a 4agze which is factory supercharged.
the low end torque might benefit the weight of the corolla wagon vs. the high revving 20v 4age.
a good place to also look for info on swapping 4afe to 4age would be celicatech.com as 5th gen Celica ST models had 4afe's.

20v 4age's are not the best option to turbocharge due to the high compression of the motor itself...they are best suited for N/A tuning.
while the 4agze can easily be turbo'd due to low compression & forged pistons stock :)

check out club4ag.com for more info on 4age's .. the many different versions & their specs.

EasternBandit

Do the 20v just so you can hear those ITB's... mmm.....

There was one at toyotafest couple weeks ago. Sounded amazing. and loud as hell... haha

I remember seeing a yellow celica gt?gts? for sale on here that had a 20v swap in it. Very clean car. If you can dig up his for-sale thread he may be of some help to you.

4agze and convert it to turbo would also be a fun project...

warmachine

im for sure going 20v only because i already have it sitting in my shed!

i agree, turbo 4agze would be ideal, but this car is far from perfect (damn wisconsin winter rust) and i have most of the parts needed for the swap already (i think).

i just got an email today from Lars, the guy with the green turbo wagon above, and he said the 4ag slipped right in. the only thing he had to do was shave the transfercase a little to clear the bellhousing. so it sounds like this project is a go!

not sure if im going to try to do this before winter or wait untill spring, but ill keep it you posted.