Phattyduck's SV25/ST205 hybrid

phattyduck

Got the battery tray all painted up. Where the battery actually touches has some rubberized undercoating to hopefully keep it from wearing through the paint. Its all made from beefy angle iron, and weighs like half the battery.

5Uz422L.jpg

rK8IAp6.jpg

AW7vijX.jpg

-Charlie

phattyduck

94 MR2 Turbo":1fbpijut said:
I better see this at toyotafest this year!!
That's the plan!

My short term to-do list is a reasonable length, though we'll see how the oil leak fixing goes. I knew I should have done the cam seals when the engine was out originally... :doh:

In other news, my wife is very happy to have her side of the garage back. :twisted:

-Charlie

phattyduck

So, it was completely dry under the timing covers... I replaced the lines to/from the power steering reservoir (and cleaned the reservoir - that thing was dirty inside!) as those were leaking on the fender. The steering rack and high pressure lines were totally dry. As far as I can tell, I must have forgotten seals on the stub axles to outer axles, and hopefully putting those in will kill the last of the leaks.

I also re-plumbed the oil filter relocation kit. I got a bit more clearance for the intercooler pipes and more clearance for changing oil filter. It also looks a lot nice than the old mounting method:

xPiRabT.jpg

tBhBWfz.jpg

-Charlie

phattyduck

I shortened the throttle cable between the cruise control actuator and the throttle body. No more loop around the PS reservoir! (see above for comparison)

9DN5vYr.jpg

I don't have much work left before the car is back on the road again. Gotta just find a bit more time out in the garage.

-Charlie

phattyduck

94 MR2 Turbo":75cwj9il said:
I'm officially signed up now. w00t!

I've been a few times as a spectator. I'm looking forward to showing the car. Now here's hoping there aren't any other good Camrys there so I can win an award. :twisted:

-Charlie

Awesome-Trac

phattyduck":2326mihb said:
94 MR2 Turbo":2326mihb said:
I'm officially signed up now. w00t!

I've been a few times as a spectator. I'm looking forward to showing the car. Now here's hoping there aren't any other good Camrys there so I can win an award. :twisted:

-Charlie

I think you have a great chance of winning, first off you have a 4WD camry, second it's turbocharged and third it's clean a hell! Nobody wants to see a Hellaflushed car anymore we are going for unique

phattyduck

Awesome-Trac":3ryvmcdy said:
I think you have a great chance of winning, first off you have a 4WD camry, second it's turbocharged and third it's clean a hell! Nobody wants to see a Hellaflushed car anymore we are going for unique
I hope that's the case. They don't often have many Camrys show, so I might get stuck in the 'other' category, which could be a good or a bad thing.

I drove the Alltrac to work today. No more obvious oil leaks, but I'll have to get under the car and verify 100% soon. I do have a bit of a coolant leak on one of the heater hoses (clamp on the engine side looks like its too weak). At least that one is easy.

-Charlie

phattyduck

Got an alignment done today at lunch. Pretty good, though I'd like some more front camber. I can't do that without getting bolts though...

BIOEM6T.jpg

Looks like the right rear camber was thrown out somewhere along the way in the last couple years. Front toe was way out since the steering rack is new. So, pretty close to 0 toe and a little negative camber - good for highway mileage and decent for performance.

In other news, my starter is acting up. Its no fun to push-start the car by yourself when its 85*F outside (and your AC isn't working). I'll be putting on an extra relay to see if that fixes it. The next step after that would be new starter contacts.

-Charlie

phattyduck

phattyduck":14zjnjat said:
In other news, my starter is acting up. Its no fun to push-start the car by yourself when its 85*F outside (and your AC isn't working). I'll be putting on an extra relay to see if that fixes it. The next step after that would be new starter contacts.

-Charlie
I pulled the starter and checked the contacts. Turns out the power input contact was a little bent and out of alignment... Probably from previous over-torqueing of the nut on the power input. I reassembled it after a little bending and it seems to start fine - The contacts didn't look significantly worn yet. I probably won't be experiencing any really cold starts for a while, so we shall see how it lasts.

-Charlie

phattyduck

I was still having starting problems after fixing/messing with the starter contacts... so I put in the extra relay and all the problems are gone. It starts with all the electrical loads on that I can think of now. :D

In other news, I got pulled over for no front plate (and mis-matched body panels, and three white guys in an old car in the right/wrong part of town, etc.). I had been procrastinating on mounting it, as there isn't a good spot to put it on the bumper, but I was able to figure something out. Even better, my wife was following me with some of her friends on the way to a hike early Sunday morning. The girls just wanted to know if the cop was cute. :doh: At least I 'got away' with a warning... So, lesson learned, plate mounted - gotta keep the reasons to get pulled over to a minimum.

-Charlie

phattyduck

Passed a nice milestone recently:

U87EE2E.jpg

Oh, and I got the A/C recharged with R12 last night. Ice cold, A/C, baby! Everything was already working in the system before, I just popped one of the lines when I was bending it for downpipe clearance. I even drove home with the A/C on (in ~60*F weather) with a jacket on, just for fun.

-Charlie

Awesome-Trac

phattyduck":2wv3hdyr said:
I was still having starting problems after fixing/messing with the starter contacts... so I put in the extra relay and all the problems are gone. It starts with all the electrical loads on that I can think of now. :D

In other news, I got pulled over for no front plate (and mis-matched body panels, and three white guys in an old car in the right/wrong part of town, etc.). I had been procrastinating on mounting it, as there isn't a good spot to put it on the bumper, but I was able to figure something out. Even better, my wife was following me with some of her friends on the way to a hike early Sunday morning. The girls just wanted to know if the cop was cute. :doh: At least I 'got away' with a warning... So, lesson learned, plate mounted - gotta keep the reasons to get pulled over to a minimum.

-Charlie

What they gave you a warning only? They gave me a non-fix it ticket priced at $205.00 :cry:

phattyduck

Awesome-Trac":1qwjol3g said:
phattyduck":1qwjol3g said:

-Charlie
What they gave you a warning only? They gave me a non-fix it ticket priced at $205.00 :cry:
I live within 1/2 mile of where I got pulled over... I think it would be a bad plan for them to hassle a local from one of the nicer neighborhoods.

Whenever I get pulled over close to wherever I live, I've always gotten a warning. (even 70-ish in a 45 through a speed trap by a training officer and trainee)

-Charlie

phattyduck

I put together a little video of some driving over the weekend:

http://youtu.be/2uGOMBzCrxg

We had the waterproof cover on the camera, so most of the engine noise was muffled or non existent. Oh, and none of the interior shots came out. :doh: But, I hope it is decent for my first try, both editing and filming.

-Charlie

phattyduck

I spent a bunch of time detailing the car over the weekend... and I'm still not finished! New pics though:

wHsQYz1.jpg

isJFo3f.jpg

dvfS5nS.jpg

0FmYnjO.jpg

In these pics, the car is completely washed (including removing the wheels and scrubbing the wheel wells) and clayed. The engine bay is cleaned and has the first pass of protectant on it. Waxing will happen during the week, as well as all the final touch-ups. It was a bit to dark to get decent interior pictures... Toyotafest is Saturday and the car will be there for those of you in SoCal (Queen Mary, 9am to 3pm).

-Charlie

phattyduck

I didn't take any photos myself during Toyotafest... luckily, my friend Ryan did:

qsuTS4d.jpg

qEuu4Ey.jpg

rcFTJvu.jpg

ChtKGQ0.jpg

I got 2nd place in the Camry/Solara division behind a JDM imported Soarer. (which isn't really close to a Camry, but whatever...) Pretty cool!

-Charlie

darthripley

you've done a great job, looks very nice Charlie.

i don't get how a Soarer was included in the camry/solara group when they are FR with an inline 6. :crazy:
they should have been over in the SC300/SC400 group or at the very least with the Aristo/GS300 crowd.

with any luck we're hoping to make it out one year with the MR2. i'd love to get truck restored & bring him but i know we'd lose out to a restored FJ.