Phattyduck's SV25/ST205 hybrid

phattyduck

darthripley":8xouuuru said:
nice license plate 8)

the 7th gen Celi seats fit in nicely, great upgrade from the old stock seats i bet.
they would look really sharp with navy suede inserts. :)
The seats fit great - they are about 1" narrower than the stock seats, which allowed me to center the driver's seat to the steering wheel a bit better and clear the rear mounting bolts. Fitting them in this car was pretty similar to what others have done fitting them in an ST185 or ST165.

I'll get to try out long term comfort this coming weekend - its vacation/road trip time across California. :)

-Charlie

phattyduck

I've finally started (slowly) the mechanical work for the motor swap.

I pulled out the fuel pump from the FWD 3s-gte Camry that was supposed to be a Supra TT pump - it wasn't. It was probably an older single turbo supra pump. Ugh. So, that's on order and should be here next week. At least the motor was happy on that fuel pump...

I'm hoping to finish up the back end of the car (fuel pump, cat-back exhaust) before starting the real fun at the front.

Pictures will come as there is interesting stuff happening.

-Charlie

phattyduck

Got the gas tank dropped, fixed the rust issues (pretty minor - just surface rust) and put in the Supra TT pump... then had to it back to running condition before starting the motor swap 'cause my WRX just developed rod knock. Ugh.

So, the Alltrac project is on hold for a bit while I build the 2.2L forged stroker for the WRX. Its getting the whole nine yards - STi crank, forged rods, forged pistons, headwork+272 cams, etc. I wanted to do that in 2011, but hey, plans change, right? The WRX should be fun once I get a big turbo for it (you know, 400+whp fun!). We'll see how long the 5-speed lasts at that point... :twisted:

-Charlie

GMan

I notice it is automatic ?
Plan on a manual swap too with the ST205 motor,
or are you going to a Caldina auto & ECU ?

Regards;

phattyduck

GMan":1578ij0g said:
I notice it is automatic ?
Plan on a manual swap too with the ST205 motor,
or are you going to a Caldina auto & ECU ?

Regards;
I'm swapping over to the manual. I already have the motor running in my other (FWD) Camry with an E153, and I purchased an ST205 trans to go in place of the FWD trans. Almost all of the wiring is the same between the two cars (motor-wise) so it should be a straightforward swap when I can finally start. The FWD Camry will get scrapped after the swap.

-Charlie

mike325ci

a nice enjoyable read... i love sleepers!!!
it's really interesting that the rear of the car is basically the same as the celica ATs...!!

question: how are you going to compensate for the 2" difference in the driveshaft length? the exhaust, you have to go custom anyways, but the driveshaft...?

looking forward to following your project till the end...~

phattyduck

mike325ci":238a7c0q said:
a nice enjoyable read... i love sleepers!!!
it's really interesting that the rear of the car is basically the same as the celica ATs...!!

question: how are you going to compensate for the 2" difference in the driveshaft length? the exhaust, you have to go custom anyways, but the driveshaft...?

looking forward to following your project till the end...~
I'll start with the easy one first... I actually have tried to fit on an HKS ST185 cat-back on the car. It *almost* fits. The three hangers at the back are very very close, so I will modify those with a buddy after the swap. I'll be doing a full custom 3" mid-pipe. Generally, the routing is the same.

As for the driveshaft... based on my research, the part number for the manual and automatic drive shafts on the Alltrac Camry are the same. The manual Alltrac Camry uses the same trans as the early JDM ST165's (with the push-button locking transfer case). Because of this, I'm 99% sure the stock driveshaft will just work. If that doesn't work as planned, I have the front section of an ST205 driveshaft that I will custom fit on the Alltrac driveshaft. :)

-Charlie

LegacyofDan

phattyduck":1j6bdheq said:
Also, a little teaser for my plans with the ST205 brakes:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/phattyduck/Alltrac/IMG_00431.jpg[img]
Stock Camry / Stock ST205 / Chrysler 300C R/T

I'll be using larger diameter disks with a relocation bracket instead of machining the stock disks down... The 300C R/T disks have the right back-spacing to clear Celica ball joints and they are 345mm diameter x 28mm thick (oh, and a pair of disks was $107 at Kragen!). Once I have it all figured out, I'll do a write-up on it. I already have the disks re-drilled and a centering spacer fit-up to the disk. I will have to machine the disk diameter down too - I don't know how much yet though.

-Charlie[/quote]

Hey charlie,

i got a question for you. :)
those Chrysler discs, are they 5 X 100 bolt pattern? i would assume yes...but just need to be sure
also the brake hat( if thats what it is called on the portion of the disc),how much does it offset compared to the stock toyota discs?
i know i worded that funny, i cant think of the right way to explain exactly what i mean, but if i confused ya, i can try to word it better...lol.

thank you!
-Dan

phattyduck

LegacyofDan":35m0z4wt said:
Hey charlie,

i got a question for you. :)
those Chrysler discs, are they 5 X 100 bolt pattern? i would assume yes...but just need to be sure
also the brake hat( if thats what it is called on the portion of the disc),how much does it offset compared to the stock toyota discs?
i know i worded that funny, i cant think of the right way to explain exactly what i mean, but if i confused ya, i can try to word it better...lol.

thank you!
-Dan
Oh, I know what you are getting at. :)

The disks are actually 5x114.3. I drilled them for 5x100. They also use a 73mm center bore, but that works out well. There are plenty of hubcentric rings you can get that will center the disk perfectly (73mm is a popular aftermarket wheel center bore). You just have to shave the centering ring down to the correct thickness of the disk.

As for the total height, it is slightly less overall than the ST205 disks. The Camry has a different hub/ball joint/control arm setup with more room than the Celica, but it should still clear the Celica ball joint just fine. I don't remember how it compares to the stock disk - I don't think I ever measured that.

Make sure you get the standard V8 disks, not the SRT-8 disks, unless you want HUGE rotors.

-Charlie

phattyduck

Still waiting on my WRX to get done (the pain of waiting for custom parts)... So, just a few pics to keep thing interesting.

ZqKrSZW.jpg

MHvPFtf.jpg

On the trip where I took that second picture, I had 6 snowboards, 2 pairs of skiis, 3 people, all our luggage, food and some extra gear from another car on/in there. Oh, and its up to 137k miles (put on about 45k since I bought it).

Wow, yeah, I still love this car. :D

-Charlie

Georonimo

phattyduck":348flj1l said:
Wow, yeah, I still love this car. :D

-Charlie

You and everyone else. It's one of those "what would be the ultimate daily driver" mental masturbation sessions becoming a reality. Subscribing!

phattyduck

Georonimo":2ke3gz4s said:
You and everyone else. It's one of those "what would be the ultimate daily driver" mental masturbation sessions becoming a reality. Subscribing!
That's exactly what I'm hoping to build. 300-ish HP, daily driveability and total anonimity except to those "in the know." You'd actually be surprised at how often people comment/ask about the car around town.

Pistons for my WRX come in in less than two weeks (supposedly the 24th). I'll need a couple weeks to put that together and start the break-in process on that motor, then the real work starts on the Alltrac again.

-Charlie

SleepingTurbo

amazing build. definitely keeping a keen on this one.

two things though, that just caught my.
would the ST205 rear subframe space the rear wheels like that on a 165?

and what are the specs on those rims? they look good, relatively flush. could use a little more IMHO, but thats your choice.

i think its looks great, and will be the ultimate sleeper. good job so far man.

phattyduck

SleepingTurbo":2gpq21tv said:
amazing build. definitely keeping a keen on this one.

two things though, that just caught my.
would the ST205 rear subframe space the rear wheels like that on a 165?

and what are the specs on those rims? they look good, relatively flush. could use a little more IMHO, but thats your choice.

i think its looks great, and will be the ultimate sleeper. good job so far man.
The rear subframe is essentially the same part for the ST165/ST185/ST205/SV25 (actually, it may even have the same part number). The difference is in the lateral links and trailing arms. Using the ST205 arms is the 'right' way to widen the rear track while keeping the rear wheel bearings happy. I swapped over the subframe because it was newer and in better shape - and it allowed me to put the solid nylon bushings/mounts in ahead of time. :)

The wheels are 17"x7.5" 45 offset and the front has a 10mm spacer. I thought about pushing the offset farther, but this car sees a lot of snow and daily driving and I'm happy to keep the extra fender clearance for that reason. I am seriously considering stepping up to 225/40/17 tires from the 215/40/17 tires next time around though. I think it would look good with a bit more tire.

Thanks for the compliments!

-Charlie