Phattyduck's SV25/ST205 hybrid

phattyduck

If you guys haven't done this to your car, you totally have to:

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=3 ... -up+window

Auto-up windows! Totally cool. The wiring is already there in the master switch other than a diode. A little filing of the switch to add the extra 'up' position, and it just works! I checked, and the window will stop rolling up <1 second after any obstructions, but it doesn't 'back up' for safety. So, don't stick your hands in there. :twisted:

-Charlie

phattyduck

The project is rolling again. After a 9 month wait for custom parts, etc. on my WRX along with break-in and tuning time, the Alltrac is back under the knife.

I finally finished pulling the motor out of the FWD Camry over the weekend so I can start getting it ready (mostly cleaning it up!) for the Alltrac.

pXMaUkV.jpg

Hopefully there won't be too many wiring changes in the harness. I am also going to be putting on the Caldina side feed manifold and I have to do the auto-manual swap at the same time along with other goodies. At least I can start updating this thread with my progress again! :D

-Charlie

PS. The WRX got 283whp on a fairly conservative tune... 2.2L stroker motor, 272 cams, oversized valves, ported, and a small VF30 turbo with STi top mount intercooler...

phattyduck

I bought the Porsche Brembo brake kit from gtfourtc, and started the install this weekend. I still need to install some updated hardware / spacers etc. to get it just right on the Camry. Luckily, the Camry front end has more ball joint clearance, so I don't have to run spacers behind the disk. :D

Here's the preview on the brakes:

k58RajX.jpg

The rears will be stock ST205 parts.

-Charlie

phattyduck

Wow, time flies.

Anyway, another small update. I was able to sell the FWD transmission with KAAZ LSD to a local guy... and I was able to clean up and assemble ST205 transmission and motor. Mental note - make sure to use sealant on the flywheel bolt threads. I didn't last time and it was leaking.

oSaX4T0.jpg

Putting the transmission back on the motor is a HUGE pain! I was able to do it by placing the belhousing on few blocks of wood (3 2x6's stacked flat) and used a small jack to adjust the transfer case up and down as needed for assembly. The motor was hanging on engine hoist. Lots of grunting later, they were attached. Oh yeah, and check out the Caldina intake manifold. :D

-Charlie

phattyduck

The Alltrac grew an extra pedal today... :D

w8SjKJz.jpg

It was much easier than I was fearing... All of the necessary spots are there on the firewall and dash bar to help place the pedal assembly. Only one welded nut was missing, but it was in an accessable spot and I just used a normal nut instead.

-Charlie

darthripley

looks like you're getting a lot of great work done there Charlie :)
the caldina side feed intake mani is a nice addition - i assume you're going front mount which will prolly help out a lot since the hood has zero vents on it.
looking forward to seeing the motor in the car 8)

phattyduck

Old motor coming out:
MDbu4Yd.jpg

7AVNLwI.jpg

Shift cables in:
9MS6mtc.jpg

New motor going in:
FJ9eCcD.jpg

fJ4raWz.jpg

And in other news, I just moved to a new house in Pasadena... It's a nice old (1911) Craftsman place, but the best part is that it has a big garage and huge driveway... :D I hope I didn't throw out anything important in the move...

I have to update the wiring (change from '90 base-model body plugs to '89 Alltrac LE plugs), do the exhaust (modify HKS cat-back and custom midpipe) and do an intercooler (looks like I'll be going Laminova! :shock: ).

-Charlie

phattyduck

darthripley":1mz472pn said:
Looking great as always Charlie :)
The brembo calipers look real nice up front! 8)
Thanks!

I still gotta paint the front and rear calipers black, but they still look decent as-is. The most important part is they work!

The first weekend I had them on, I was in blizzard conditions in the mountains... it was hard to not lock up the brakes (just a touch of my big toe was enough). It was a slip'n'slide fest - with the suspension setup and torsen diff, it is tail-happy, even with 115hp. I managed to keep it out of any snow banks or ditches though. :D

Back on grippy ground, things are pretty nice. I think there is still a bit of air in the system though.

-Charlie

phattyduck

The ECU is wired up... Now I'm noticing all the the little things that need to be transferred/add to this car - turbo timer, boost gauge, boost controller, WBO2, hood pins, radiator fans, etc... It is all little stuff, but it all takes time.

-Charlie

phattyduck

Radiator fans in!

Gma9Qyn.jpg

My to-do list before starting/driving the car seems to be getting longer, not shorter. :shoots: I guess I'm still making progress, though its hard with the great weather and other stuff in my life to focus on the car as much as I would like too.

-Charlie

darthripley

ooooh shiney new rad looks great - what brand is it?

i know all about the list getting longer & not shorter on Super 2. i get some things done & then before i know it there's more work to be done b/c i want gauges here or want to switch this or that out. a lot of it is just me shooting myself in the foot :shoots:

keep it up on the camry & you'll have it done real soon :)

phattyduck

The radiator is an ST205 Koyo and those are two 11" Spal fans. I used to run a stock ST205 radiator/fan setup on the FWD Camry swap. I didn't take a picture of it installed, but there is only like 1" of clearance between the fan and the downpipe. Let's hope they used some high temp plastic on those fans... at least the downpipe is wrapped.

-Charlie

phattyduck

Nothing much to report, I haven't had much time to work on the car... I installed a new fuel filter and started cleaning up a few things around the engine bay. I've really only spend a couple hours on it since the last post. I have a pretty detailed list of things left to do at my house, then its off to my buddies shop for intercooler and exhaust work. If I focus on the car (should be a bit easier after the holidays), I can hopefully have it back on the road in Feb/March. (yay California - no taking cars of the road for winter!)

-Charlie

New Guy

Now all I gotta do is convince you to do this with mine...

Really diggin' this. Makes me want to rush out and cram the 3SGE into mine tonight. :notworthy:

phattyduck

Ha! I have enough cars to take care of already... (spent 7 hours last night after work replacing the alternator in my wife's Mini Cooper S - the Alltrac seems so easy after that!)

As for the Alltrac, I have the interior back together. I found the problem and a solution for the poor shifter feel I had in my old FWD 3s-gte Camry - this shift cable length needed to be adjusted. Luckily, I was able to re-drill the bracket on the trans to get everything lined up. The shifter lever is in a better place and now re-centers itself in neutral correctly.

At this point I have a few small things to wrap up, fluids to add, then time to test fire it after more than a year without my Alltrac. Then its off to a buddy's shop for exhaust and intercooler work.

-Charlie