Phattyduck's SV25/ST205 hybrid

phattyduck

Got a couple more hours in on the Alltrac. I was having a ridiculously bad time with the cam seals. I had to buy two extras - my final score: 3 messed up, 2 successful, 1 leftover. Only $10-15 each... ugh. In the end, I used a de-burring tool to get rid of any harsh lip on the outer ring of the seal opening - that was where it was catching (even lubed and going in as straight as I could get it).

At least the crank seal went in fine. 2" PVC/ABS makes a perfect size seal driver for that..

JH4JIlbh.jpg

I8nim2wh.jpg

After some struggle with the tensioner, I also have the timing belt installed, though I still have to check the mechanical timing after installing the bottom cover and main pulley (grenade pin NOT pulled yet).

-Charlie

phattyduck

I got the engine work done last week (timing belt and new oil filter relocation).

Like I already posted, the filter now sits in the fender well instead of high up in the engine bay:

yU4nSBsh.jpg

New -10AN (down from -12AN) lines were run (Aeroquip push-lock). The new take-off adapter uses o-ring seals instead of NPT taper fittings (less likely to leak/seep).

w6HZ0egh.jpg

SsdJ33Ih.jpg

The lines run up over the frame rail to the bulkhead fittings that run back down into the fender well:

sRjSciOh.jpg

Once that was done, I took the car down to my buddy's shop to have it smogged. Before the smog check, we welded up the EGT bung as well as we could (the previous weld had cracked so there was an exhaust leak before the turbo - bad for performance and emissions).

vO4prQqh.jpg

I use a guy that make sure it passes everything other than visual (he even checks the gas cap still seals...). Sadly, it failed on idle hydrocarbons. The plan is to replace the O2 sensor (still original, ~25 years and ~100k miles old) and have the fuel injectors cleaned/tested. There was also an evap system leak to track down. Hopefully that gets things back in good running shape.

Then on to engine mounts, rear diff mounts, rear suspension bushings... and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

-Charlie

phattyduck

I think I found the source of the poor emissions test results:

Cd0Vkp5.jpg

I'll be reinstalling them tonight... probably won't drive it until tomorrow - but I'll definitely be reporting back.

As for the O2 sensor, I used the 2nd gen motor one and soldered on the 3rd gen connector.

-Charlie

phattyduck

I probably should have taken more pictures last night... but it is back together. I'll be testing it later today. (actually, I probably should have pressure tested it before I put all the intake and stuff back in the way, eh?)

Spiffy clean injectors:
Wh4en7mh.jpg

Fuel rail parts:
BPcZaiVh.jpg

-Charlie