Phattyduck's SV25/ST205 hybrid

Talk about your project car here

Re: Phattyduck's SV25/ST205 hybrid

Postby CTechBlueDragon » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:02 pm

Hey man long time no talk. Maybe think about replacing the tensioner while your in there if its still apart. I still have my All-trac Camry but it sat for a long time because it jumped timing but still would run I couldn't figure it out. It took forever to find a crank angle sensor and then that didn't fix it. I had to move and after that I finally figured it out so its running again and I am about to put it back into service.Image
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
CTechBlueDragon
Club Member

Postby phattyduck » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:17 pm

CTechBlueDragon wrote:Hey man long time no talk. Maybe think about replacing the tensioner while your in there if its still apart.
The tensioner is definitely getting done. The OEM one is probably pretty reliable, but it has 10+ years and ~60k miles on it now... Not worth the risk. All the leaking parts (other than the PCV grommet) are original from '95, so no complaints there. I ended up getting brand new OEM cam/crank/oil pump seals to install. At this age, even if one isn't leaking I think its reasonable to do.

Aside from the smoke that's all over now, I bought and fixed up a 2000 Camry for my father-in-law over the last month... gotta get back on the Alltrac again!

-Charlie
'89 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GTE - SV25/ST205 hybrid
'99 4Runner SR5 4WD 5VZ-FE
Previous: '88 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GE BEAMS, '90 Camry 3S-GTE, '90 Camry DX
phattyduck
Established Member

Postby phattyduck » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:39 pm

So, turns out you need to remove the downpipe (!!!) to change the water pump due to a series of part inferences. AC bracket has to come off, which means AC compressor has to come off, but 3s-fe Camry AC lines interfere with the downpipe, so the downpipe has to move to get the AC compressor out of the way. Fun times. Didn't run into it before, because the last time I did these parts, the engine was out of the bay...

In other news, I started the oil filter relocation setup. New filter location:

I used two bulkhead NPT to AN fittings, which allows the filter housing to basically be directly mounted to the sheet metal.

I might need to put an extra shield up there, but we will see how it goes after a few thousand miles. The new location means I don't have to deal with removing the filter up in the engine bay and all the oil drips/spills that come with that. Just one pan, 0 special tools for an oil change. I only have to lift it up a bit since the car is lowered (drive up a 4.5" ramp I made a while back, really).

-Charlie
phattyduck
Established Member

Postby autojumbled » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:21 am

That's a neat install - looks good.
Where did the oil relocate kit come from?
autojumbled
Club Member

Postby phattyduck » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:43 pm

autojumbled wrote:That's a neat install - looks good.
Where did the oil relocate kit come from?
This is how it looked originally:

I pieced it together, not a kit. The 90* take-off adapter is from Canton Racing, though Moroso has a better option now (uses -10AN o-ring fitting instead of NPT). All the hose is going to be -10AN push-lock from Aeroquip, with Aeroquip fittings (all black). The last version used -12AN blue hose and red/blue fittings (what was available at the time). The new filter mount is the cheapest billet option I could find.

I pieced it all together on Summit. The old lines were starting to have some cracks externally and weep a bit, so I figured I should change it all out before there is a catastrophic failure.

This is what I did on a Camry Alltrac BEAMS build, which I am emulating here (late gen3+ filter location):

Where the filter fittings come into the bay:

Take-off adapter, from bottom front corner of engine bay:

Hoses coming up in front of AC comprssor:

Hoses into filter mount (under cruise actuator, thus odd camera angle):

Suspension mount clearance (gen2 Camrys have an odd front suspension design with suspension mount where the filter would normally be):

I don't think this way can be done on ABS equipped ST185's, since the ABS actuator is there, right? But you guys don't have to deal with the suspension/frame rail issues up front...

-Charlie
phattyduck
Established Member

Postby autojumbled » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:23 am

Cheers for the detail.

and yes, that's smack in the middle of where all the ABS stuff is so a no-go for ST185 but there are a few options.
When I last looked at this a few years ago, the options were limited, as you say on the hardware - there's plenty more stuff available now so in theory should be fairly easy to put together. :)
autojumbled
Club Member

Postby phattyduck » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:10 pm

Ruined the phillips (errr.. JIC cross-head) screw on the water pump, and had to improvise. Luckily, I have some M6x1.0 button stainless screws in the garage. I had to modify the head a bit (they have a flange head) to fit in the water pump, but that gave me a chance to chamfer the rear to hopefully fit similarly to the original. Below - drilled out screw, modified bolt, original replacement bolt:

I am using the ST205 specific resin impeller water pump too instead of the stamped steel version. The one I took out also was a resin impeller and looked good after ~14 years and ~60k miles.

I also got the oil pump spaghetti seal and shaft seal replaced. I messed up on the first cam seal, but luckily I have some extras. Very nice to be putting stuff back on the car instead of taking it apart.

Slow progress...

-Charlie
phattyduck
Established Member

Postby autojumbled » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:27 pm

phattyduck wrote:Ruined the phillips (errr.. JIC cross-head) screw on the water pump, and had to improvise. Luckily, I have some M6x1.0 button stainless screws in the garage. I had to modify the head a bit (they have a flange head) to fit in the water pump, but that gave me a chance to chamfer the rear to hopefully fit similarly to the original. Below - drilled out screw, modified bolt, original replacement bolt:

I am using the ST205 specific resin impeller water pump too instead of the stamped steel version. The one I took out also was a resin impeller and looked good after ~14 years and ~60k miles.

I also got the oil pump spaghetti seal and shaft seal replaced. I messed up on the first cam seal, but luckily I have some extras. Very nice to be putting stuff back on the car instead of taking it apart.

Slow progress...

-Charlie
Has anyone actually removed the water pump without mangling that screw? I certainly haven't!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
autojumbled
Club Member

Postby phattyduck » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:02 pm

autojumbled wrote:Has anyone actually removed the water pump without mangling that screw? I certainly haven't!
I did the first time... but the engine was out of the bay. The right sized JIS cross-head driver on an impact driver (the kind you hit with a hammer) would probably get it out just fine.

-Charlie
phattyduck
Established Member

Postby CTechBlueDragon » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:00 pm

I think most people run into this problem and blame it on the design. I had the same problem because when you take all the other bolts out and find the recessed one last it has all the pressure on it alone and it will strip out. The way I got it to come out was to have the surrounding bolts in still spreading the load across them evenly so the screw driver will get it out even without a hammer one. Good to see the progress man. The oil filter setup is way clean now. I put mine in the exact same spot actually! I will post some pics later.
CTechBlueDragon
Club Member

Previous

Return to My Project