Project: What else? Now with eye candy!

Terracar

Keep it. Keep it. Keep it.

I would also vote picking up a cheaper DD if needed, but the money is always a factor.

-Terracar

Tippo

97JZA80":166qfvr4 said:
Have to keep it...def grab a cheap a$$ dd to rely on. Makes life easier. You going to the colt state park meet?

I keep trying to get down to meets, but my work schedule is really hard to make time with.

Also yeah, trying to get a DD. Thinking of a Paseo. 30mpg is really tempting. It's either that or a 1990-1999 Celica ST. I need a cheap beater, but still drive in SOME style.

Tippo

I decided to take the car for a nice spin today instead of around the state for work. I made it about 2.5 miles down the road and i think my timing belt snapped. What's funny is it was supposed to be done about ~30k miles ago.

Anywho this is the run down of what happened:

I was driving about 25-30 mph down the road and as i depressed the clutch to shift into 5th gear from 4th, the engine immediately shut down. No bang, clunk or anything. Engine just shut down. I decided not to put the car back into gear and coasted to a stop on the side of the road. When I was coasting, all electronics were working. The oil light went on (much like when you turn the car to the ON position) but it wasn't running. This made me believe right away the timing belt snapped, but I wasn't sure. I had it towed the to local shop to get my wallet taken from me again. Hopefully I was lucky and didn't damage any valves, but you never know. Even though (I've heard and read over the years) we have non-interference engines there could still be a chance of big problems.

Could this be the end? I hope not, but we'll see. I don't know if I could take anymore heartbreak from this car. :[

aus jd 2703

take the top timing cover off and see. quick and easy then i guess start looking at electrical, maybe distributor? having said that when mine went bad on a 5sfe it was gradual

Tippo

yeah timing belt snapped. it wasn't gradual, apparently. i'm not sure what happened exactly. the timing belt had 30,000 miles on it and just decided to go. i'm putting a new one on and crossing my fingers...

Tippo

it didn't look like the bolt pulled out at all. timing belt just snapped. after i put the belt and water pump back on, i'll make sure to tighten all the bolts. i'm half-ass working on it, while having a buddy do a lot of the work since i'm doing my day job. i'll know if he runs into problems at the end of the day.

Tippo

Ok I spent the day off of work making sure everything was correct. She's running again. replaced the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, bolts, seals, and belts. lots of money spent, but so necessary. now all i have to do is find this !#$%ing exhaust leak...

know what? why not just get a new exhaust? anybody know good and quiet (must stress that) exhausts? 3 inch is far too big, maybe 2.5?

Tippo

Never mind, I cut and welded a new flex pipe on. Works but now rattles on something I can't find. If I can't move it over, maybe I'll shave it or manipulate it a tad.

either way... mechanically the car works 100%... yeah, i know. almost impossible... but then i forget

the ****ing A/C doesn't work. i was almost there! it could be the compressor, but i'm not sure. the belts are on, but it doesn't seem to be turning on. either way i'll check it out when i get some time. i think $2500 is good for this month, though lol

and now i'm thinking of trading it for a newer car... i'm putting far too many miles on it. since i sold my truck not too long ago, i put 22,000 miles on it. in just over a year! nuuuuu. realistically it's stupid for me to have this car at the moment, but i have an attachment to it. :(

a near-mint, non-rusted 2nd gen alltrac is impossible to find in the northeast US. what to do... what to do

Tippo

some eye candy

2011-06-05_12-33-57_527.jpg

2011-06-05_12-34-03_691.jpg

2011-06-05_12-34-12_488.jpg

2011-06-05_12-34-21_760.jpg

2011-06-05_12-34-28_578.jpg

Tippo

Testing waters again....

No upgrades, but a lot of regular maintenance done. At 189k right now. 6k

PM me if interested.