Kcmans 89 Alltrac Restoration . Floor restoration begins

Kcman91gts

Well tonight marks the night that i come into possession of my very own alltrac . I got it from a friend that was the previous owner and got it i believe the summer of 08 . Its a white 1989 , has a short shifter already and an bov of sorts . and the owner before him swapped in a jdm replacement engine .

Ended up getting it a bit quicker than i planned on . he has 2 cars at his apartment and has got a warning about having 2 spots taken up (was going to get towed and i couldnt let that happen) . so i got it now. Went over tonight at 8pm we knew the vehicle didnt have a charge as it had been so long. after numerous attempts to boost the vehicle we swapped batteries for my friends optima . it took a while still but it finally fired up with a small growl at 930p.. well after we finally get it running his dumb ass brother ended up hitting the door when he turned around and it got caught on the 2nd latch . we thought it was locked so i had to drive to the bank to plan on calling CAA for them to open it up. Well i "finagled" the door a bit and omg it actually opened.. that was at 1027.. now it rests in my garage .. dreaming of new parts.

i managed to grab a few pictures of it but i forgot my digital camera in my friends car . ill put em up tomorrow , just thought id get the ball rolling.

All-Trac Dude08

So you never had an Alltrac before after 202 posts? :)

That's pretty cool that it's a 89, even more rare. What short shifter does it have?

Kcman91gts

Well the bonus is i dont have to pay for it all right away we agreed on 2000 with extra parts . car is in pretty good condition except for some cosmetic damage on the front end from when he ended up hitting a deer (happened 1 month after owning the car) . and the original reason i came to the site was for gaining some new information on the alltrac and its engines and with the intent to purchase one when i had the chance .

some of the extra parts he said is a full gasket set . boost gauge w/o teflon line , it kinked on him when he tried to install it . it came with a decent bov , im not sure about the short shifter i believe it came with the vehicle when he bought it . HID conversion kit with highbeams . he put in a set of h4 conversion lenses as well . hes got a new cap , rotor and magnacor wires 8.5 mm i think he said , as well as a ton of other stuff .

the vehicle needs a battery , a plate for the afm to attach a filter (airbox was lost so i cant put it back on .) im not sure the last time he did the water pump and timing belt either. its probably going to be about a month or two before i actually start to break into it as i try to get some other things out of the way .

LegacyofDan

woot woot congrats bro! for some reason i always though u had 5 gen alltrac, ur avy pic prolly makes it seem that way, but yeah that's ur GT celica right?

but back on to alltracs lol...i'm stoked to see pics! what are your plans for her?

Kcman91gts

Not sure on plans right now .

The clutch needs a bleed real bad and almost feels like its caught on the floor when i push it in . i need a new battery . im thinking an optima to avoid using another crappy lead acid battery . maybe a yellow top . i need a new windshield , a new pass. side fender , inner wheel guard and pass. side headlight motor . (hit a deer), i need a plate to adapt a filter to the afm , unfortunatly he lost the old air box so i have no choice.

it already has a nice bov on it and im getting some extra parts along with the vehicle. im not sure the last time the timing belt and water pump were done so thats a concern as well .

the interior is in immaculate condition and so is the rest of the body . mostly surface rust.

any recommendations though on what else i should check from you seasoned 165ers would be great . my goals right now are looking for about 250-275 hp with an autox/rallyx feel to it and the ability to adjust as needed.

LegacyofDan

be through with ur rust hunt....

the place i would start off looking and reading up on is the sections on this page:

gtfours.co.uk

they have alot of information for first time buys of this car and what to look for

Kcman91gts

yep ive been up and down that site multiple times . very good information . There is also a smell of something burning . almost has that sting of power steering fluid but not as sweet as coolant . he did have a power steering return line go .

now another quick question if i took a fender from a 3sge 88 162 could i replace the one on my st165 with that or is there a difference ? they both look identical.

DOOOODE finagle is like my second favorite word!! :lol:
Awsum that u finally got an AT! i thought ur gt was an alltrac as well :oops:
165 alltracs got a lil wider fender iirc... but i think u can use the 162s... might look a lil funny wit the wide ass end tho :p

Kcman91gts

2640958_13_full.jpg

2640958_14_full.jpg

I have a few others . had no chance to upload tonight , i have to wait again.

All-Trac Dude08

wannabe toms racer":1j6bxtrd said:
165 alltracs got a lil wider fender iirc... but i think u can use the 162s... might look a lil funny wit the wide ass end tho :p

aww man, I was hoping that the 162s fender was the same as the 165 :cry: I have to replace mine

Car looks pretty clean btw.

LegacyofDan

damn there sure are alot of white st165's ...tho the paint looks really nice, i dont see much rust or anything!...tho i do see some bubbly paint, but hey get at the rust when its young! lol

i look forward to reading more! :)

Kcman91gts

yea the bottom picture shows the side the damage is on . this is a picture from last summer . and i was looking at a gts 88 at the wreckers and there doesnt look to be much a difference . but i could be wrong.

Kcman91gts

32292010008_large.jpg

32292010010_large.jpg

32292010009_large.jpg

32292010013_large.jpg

Some of the new parts . i need to replace the line for his boost gauge because the nylon line kinked during his attempt to install . so i have to go find that . i got a new distributor as well as 8.5 magnacore wires , not sure if they even do anything but hey theyre new . i got a distributor seal / rebuild kit and a new 02 sensor . and a valve cover gasket kit , atleast thats what he says it is with new gaskets for all the screws. more coming in just an hour.

Kcman91gts

Blow off valve and a knock off samco T hose i believe , no writing on it . Engine bay is going to need an EXTREME clean . The windshield is going to need to be replaced its causing some water to get under the roof liner and i think the sunroof is also causing some water leakage .

more pictures !!

32292010017_large.jpg

32292010018_large.jpg

32292010019_large.jpg

32292010020_large.jpg

Kcman91gts

According to my friend who i purchased the vehicle from , the AC is inoperative . it requires a part that hes unsure of and i dont really drive with my AC on , i havnt had it in my GT since i owned it , it never gets that hot here.

So in the meantime im thinking im going to prepare its removal. as its still in good condition i may end up keeping it but im not cutting it out like my other car.

windshield turns out will be around 230.00 . all of the manifold bolts seem to be still where there suppose to be but there is grim everywhere and some oil residue by the injectors . hopefully the valve cover isnt leaking .

Kcman91gts

Even better news , with the unfortunate dealy with the windshield i checked the trunk for that water leak i hear everyone talking about with these vehicles and there is absolutly no water in my spare wheel well , which apparently also pools water when this seal goes.