Project Phoenix 1990 Alltrac Paint Work Starts 3-5-16!!!

Talk about your project car here

Re: Project Phoenix 1990 Alltrac!!! 9/18 Update!!!

Postby Mafix » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:30 pm

you know, you are a miracle worker! everyone should take some of your enthusiasm and bottle it up for rainy days. a lobor of love is an understatement.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Mafix
Gold Member

Postby LegacyofDan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:56 pm

Lamont...i love your thread...i just took the time to look at the pics from start to finish....

and now look how far you have gotten, you are still going strong, you are an inspiration seriously man!

Keep it up Lamont!

ps i think i find another "inspection" guy, i talked to my buddy last night(different guy) and he may be able to hook ya up.
no promises, and i hope i am not getting your hopes up, but we will see :)
hopefully this time it works out...fingers crossed!
LegacyofDan
GTFour God

Postby Lamont » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:23 pm

Mafix wrote:you know, you are a miracle worker! everyone should take some of your enthusiasm and bottle it up for rainy days. a lobor of love is an understatement.

Thanks for the kind words Mafix, but I have to give all the credit to the Alltrac.net community :notworthy: . Honestly I couldn't have gotten this far without all the help and support I have received so thanks guys :wink: :wink: . A labor of love indeed, but the payoff is priceless in smiles per gallon :D :D

LegacyofDan wrote:Lamont...i love your thread...i just took the time to look at the pics from start to finish....
and now look how far you have gotten, you are still going strong, you are an inspiration seriously man!

Keep it up Lamont!

ps i think i find another "inspection" guy, i talked to my buddy last night(different guy) and he may be able to hook ya up.
no promises, and i hope i am not getting your hopes up, but we will see :)
hopefully this time it works out...fingers crossed!

Thanks Dan, I found a few pics of the car posted here on an old thread from right after it caught fire:

I won't forget all the hours of work that I have put into this car. I also won't forget all the help I had along the way. It still has a long way to go Dan, but I will never forget the humble beginnings of Phoenix :shock: :shock: :shock: . Thanks again for the kind words it really means a lot :D :D . Oh and if the inspection guy works out that’s great 8) 8) if not I'll probably try and get the car inspected at the end of next week if I can :shrug: :shrug: .
90 Celica Alltrac (Project Phoenix)
94 Celica GT V6 (Selene)
My project: http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=33578&start=0
Lamont
Club Member

Postby Hotrodhendrix » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:30 pm

Wow I havnt looked at this thread sence the first day you posted it. Amazing work.
"The more you let life's obstacles slow you down the longer it will take to defeat them."
~Yours truly
Hotrodhendrix
GTFour God

Postby jonahs_3sgte » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:18 am

hey lamont
hows the alltrac driving?
i traded my halftrac off for a mustang
but as of tomorrow i will be a new owner of a 90 alltrac lol
1988 ST165...66,000 miles
2009 Corolla
1999 Ranger
jonahs_3sgte
Club Member

Postby alltracst185 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:23 pm

What did you do with the cs/rc hood you got with the car?
st185- HKS exhaust, Aussie mid pipe and custom 3" down pipe, Tial 50mm BOV, HKS 272 cams, HKS adj cam gears, custom FMIC, HKS GT3040, Tial 38mm wastegate, AEM ems, fully built bottom end, RC 1200cc injectors, at 25 lbs and almost complete :D
alltracst185
Established Member

Postby Lamont » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:29 am

jonahs_3sgte wrote:hey lamont
hows the alltrac driving?
i traded my halftrac off for a mustang
but as of tomorrow i will be a new owner of a 90 alltrac lol

Hey jonahs_3sgte, the Alltrac is driving very well. I currently need a better suspension, and new seat covers, and of course a paint job :oops: :oops: . It also passed inspection and I'm using Phoenix as my daily driver :wink: . Not recommended as gas mileage is horrible and 93 octane is over $3.00 a gallon :cry: :cry: . I can't believe you sold the halftrac :( :( you put a lot of work into it, but upgrading to an Alltrac is the way to go. Let me know when you get it on the road maybe we could do a mini-meet :shrug: :shrug: .

alltracst185 wrote:What did you do with the cs/rc hood you got with the car?

Hello alltracst185, the original cs/rc hood pictured above was traded to another member rrain3288, for an OEM Alltrac hood pictured early on in this post. It is currently installed on his car in AZ., after he put some serious work into it 8) .
94 Celica GT V6 (Selene)
Lamont
Club Member

Postby jay4prez » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:17 am

Hey Man, hows the car coming along?

I havent even started on mine yet, engine is still sitting in the warehouse, got a lot of parts to buy/need.

Hopefully she's purring along right now
Speed is expensive, how fast are you willing to spend?
jay4prez
Club Member

Postby Lamont » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:40 pm

Hey guys well I guess its time for an update :twisted: . Since my last update I have passed inspection :P :P and have just been enjoying driving Phoenix :wink: :wink: . Dan was nice enough to check my timing while at celi_wabbit aka Flors place. I have been driving around for months now with the timing set at roughly 20 degrees advanced :doh: :doh: . On the way home after our red Alltrac mini-meet :lol: :lol: I noticed that I couldn't accelerate very good and that I was losing power very badly in 4'th and 5'th gears :cry: :cry: . Once I got home I gave Dan a call and he agreed to look at it for me in the morning :wink: . The next day on the way to Dan's place the car accelerated much better and seemed to not have any issues at all. When I arrived Dan popped the hood and we noticed that in our rush to devour some Chinese food the day before we forgot to remove the jumper wire from the diagnostics box :doh: :doh: . Now that the timing is correct I have noticed a dramatic improvement in gas mileage as well as better acceleration and turbo spool 8) . I have also removed the cat and installed my Aussie down pipe. I immediately notice a much quicker spool from the turbo, and also a very pleasant low rumble from the exhaust 8) :smokes: . Next with the help of some expertly made custom fog light brackets fabricated by justjoe & darthripley I was able to install my MKIII Supra fog lights. I can't even begin to put into details just how nice these brackets are, but I'll just say they are heavy gauge steel, remain fully adjustable, very sturdy, and they fit perfectly. I was even able to keep my WTA heat exchanger in the same location with no fitment issues at all :D :D . I also had a custom aluminum intake pipe fabricated to mount a MR2 BPV :shock: . While I was installing the BPV I managed to break one of the ends off the VTV :doh: :doh: , and at the moment it's being held together by JB weld, and some liquid plastic while I wait for a replacement from Toyota. Driving the car after installing the BPV I wondered why Toyota made the BPV standard on the MR2 and 3rd Gen GTFOUR and not the 1st and 2nd Gen. Alltrac :shrug: . Maybe something to do with the homologation rules of the WRC :shrug: :shrug: . I would say honestly after taking the first drive with the BPV that it does allow for much quicker spooling of the turbo following a gear change. Anyone who was on the fence about possibly installing a MR2 bypass valve I would highly recommend it :wink: :wink: . Lastly I decided to heat-wrap the CS/RC WTA intercooler. I used a product from Summit Racing called floor/tunnel heat-barrier. It has self-adhesive 1/4" insulation and also very heavy gauge aluminum exterior, and is rated to withstand 2000 degree temperatures with as little as 1/4" clearance from the heat source :shock: :shock: . I am really impressed with this product because after driving Phoenix for three hours aggressively I might add :oops: :oops: , I am still able to place my hand on the intercooler and it is cold to the touch :shock: :shock: while the rest of the engine bay is Dante's Inferno :evil: :evil: :evil: . At $25 shipped for a 24"X24" sheet, which was roughly enough to double insulate the intercooler, I would say it was a bargain 8) :wink: . Most of these parts have just been piling up and I wanted to get them installed before spending money on anything else :nono: :nono: . Here are a few photos of my recent upgrades:

Thanks for following Project Phoenix guys :D :D
94 Celica GT V6 (Selene)
Lamont
Club Member

Re: Project Phoenix 1990 Alltrac!!! 11/21 Update!!!

Postby DeeCee » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:22 pm

did the down pipe come with a support bracket? if not, make one up and install. It will save the dp from cracking.
GT Four Adovansu "I want to enjoy the powerful and nimble agility behavior."

Elephant: http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26687
DeeCee
Established Member

Postby Lamont » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:22 pm

DeeCee wrote:did the down pipe come with a support bracket? if not, make one up and install. It will save the dp from cracking.

I did install a support bracket as well :wink: :wink: here's a couple pics:

94 Celica GT V6 (Selene)
Lamont
Club Member

Postby AlltracAllday » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:13 am

Glad to see that DP put to good use. Car is really coming together. Keep it up.
AlltracAllday
Club Member

Postby darthripley » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:58 pm

Glad the foglight brackets worked out for you - nice you didn't have to move your h/e either.
Keep up the good work on the car, great job resurrecting the car from the ashes - literally!
86 RN66 Hilux 4x4 Turbo Truck "Falcon" 22RTE
87 AW11 MR2 "Super 2" 4AGZE
90 ST185 Celica AllTrac "Vadar" 3SGTE
99 SXV20 Camry "Maul" 5SFE
Female Moderator
darthripley
All Trac Goddess

Postby Fox 21 Alpha » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:04 am

effin sick mate, glad to see your getting to enjoy her dail. I'm finally pulling the engine in my all trac (for real I got stuff disconnected I swear), so we're gonna have to meet up in a few weeks. Some AWD fun in the snow perhaps?
Fox 21 Alpha
Club Member

Postby mike325ci » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:16 pm

Lamont, looking good!~~~ And I believe you, but I think I really have to see it for myself-- the heat shield for your IC core-- really???? It's cold to the touch???? WOW. That's amazing!! (I am now regretting selling my WTA, lol... *sigh*)
NYC, NY, USA
Teal '92 ST185 (Current), Black '88 ST165 (Sold)
Founder, Kabiela - DIY & Enthusiast Marketplace (diybuysell.com)
mike325ci
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to My Project