Grand Turismo - Aussie ST185 - track day found the weakness

redGT4

Autometer guages, the oil kit is Perma-Cool universal single filter. Fits perfectly. Grab thread tape when you get it as well. The hoses that came with are too short to where i want to fit it (next to trans cooler). The turbosmart controller i'm going to fit on the charcoal cylinder bracket. Black and blends in away from prying eyes. The old central locking switch on the dash will be used to switch between fun and more fun.

aus jd 2703

haha i can tell their auto metre but did ya get oil boost water temp what?
luck bastard im still getting parts together for the motor lol. fully forged for extra fun :D

redGT4

:doh: sorry water temp, boost and volts; oil temp gauge i'm still to buy.

so your looking for something like this:

http://www.lewisengines.com.au/prod28.htm

I'm not trying to spend to much on the engine, as i want a new interior in the car. As well i'm looking to start my own business next year (IT - databases) and a mortgage, so moneys tight.

aus jd 2703

yeh but cheaper :p
i can get eagle rods and wiseco pistons landed for $950aus and mate reckons $600 to machine and nitride the crank.plus boring and honing ill have my bullet proof bottom end. head is still in the air could go full blown 1mm ova ferrea gear or may stay stock.
i never got to drive me gt four bought it not running and decided i wanna go big and be different so decided to do a killer rebuild

aus jd 2703

buy it in bulk 5l from repco and use a dish brush or toilet brush and a high pressure hose helps. but yeh it sucks at best

redGT4

Hit it right on the money there. Dish brush and lots of degreaser from repco - great minds think alike! I use a little gardeners pressure sprayer to get it on. Nice clean under body hidden away. Its the little things that count :)

Good news too - noticed a local workshops ad in the paper - awd chassis dyno, about ten minutes walk from my house - :D

Now its time to put shit together. Today the Oil cooler went on, manifold is back on; tomorrow will be more degreasing though :(

MWP

I installed the exact same dump pipe a few weeks ago.
Quite a well made item for an ebay cheapie.

I heat wrapped and hi-temp painted mine as well:

eNpVjk0PwUAQhv9KM3c6-9k1PUpwkQjuzVqrlkWjlRDx37XKwWQO8zyTmbyWMnrWJAiq4CCvSWcEc3s91unYXpNFcO3gY3A2Wa2ZUSlHHA0-ncwms2Tpq2idP_lzkxbzaYFGZcNDVXavJMEuxAh5IGxRETjr9r5j1nOzv502vz0juHdnbRaDCL15fI3ujSGIl_JSVK6BfEs4lPhfnHOUUqMccYWCCTRoZMa1EEIzw7REzVX-egPe90G7.jpg

MWP

aus jd 2703":1k6xxxcg said:
buy it in bulk 5l from repco and use a dish brush or toilet brush and a high pressure hose helps. but yeh it sucks at best

Using it in a high-pressure paint spray gun works well too.

redGT4

took my oil and coolant lines for the turb to be acid cleaned, from thickly coated with oil and dirt and crap after 19 years to pristine. 10 bucks well spent.

f**k! the simplest things always go wrong....now i know why people still stick to carbie v8's. much simpler to work on...

redGT4

Well when i went to put the lines back on i was WTF? they fitted perfectly before, now. Emails and phone calls later and :

When we did the job, I sent the turbo to my guys in Melbourne – they had all the parts there, and it was easier for them to do the mods needed to get the turbo going.
In the process, the center housing from your turbo was found to be damaged (I missed it here sorry) and the replacement they used was from a different application, with slightly different fitting positions.
Pretty much the only way to make your fittings fit on your turbo is to unfortunately file out the holes on the flanges. The gasket for the oil lines won’t matter that it is just a bit off.
I do apologise for the inconvenience to you in doing this, I wasn’t actually aware of it myself.

yep. always lots of fun working on cars. At least the prob is identified and a solution found. :)

redGT4

I have set a november 1st deadline to get it running. Might not wire the boost controller / Fcd / gauges then, save some time.... Work.Tafe.Car. That's the rest of the month sorted. :)

As for the lines. Well i might just file it. Its not to much of a difference, just a few mm.

redGT4

Well i went to see the fella who owns the local dyno (about 15 mins walk away, two minute drive or tow lol):

http://www.classicperformance.com.au

He's been in the game for thirty years or so, has had his own workshop there for about 10 years iirc, doesn't advertise much either, alot of his work is word of mouth.

$160 (aussie) for a dyno tune; check afr's etc. need to book about 3-4 weeks in advance. Nice clean a/c'd dyno cell. Said he ran a big block chev in there on back during the heat wave (about 5 days of 43 - 45 c weather) with no probs, which is good as summer is almost here!

Good thing is he is friends with the design/owner of Vipec ecu's too so knows them inside out. If i ever wish to change ecu's i'll sure as hell go that one.

If first impressions count, then it's all positive for me. He was happy to chat, friendly, and when the owner comes out with his hands covered in grease its always a good sign.

So finally, things are looking good for teh gt4

hmmm....adelaide celica dyno day? (for the two of us rofl!)

redGT4

Not exactly a celica update, but i finished work for the day, go to my DD and its WTF? First warm day of spring and the radiator decided to have a hissy fit. 5 litre capacity and took 3 litres of water. :( Nothing like driving for 40 minutes under the limit with one eye on the temp gauge saying things like "c'mon baby, you can do it" or "okay, you can make it up the hill." until you finally get home its "fuck yeah, i'm proud of ya!"

Well, it seems i took a rockstrike in the radiator, now my pockets lighter. bastard. :doh:

MWP

Ouch, thats sucks.
At least youll now know you have a decent new radiator for summer.
I think ill be doing the same too... my thermo comes on while driving at normal road speeds :(

That Classic Performance Dyno Centre workshop looks good.
Ill keep it in mind for next time i need mine on the rollers.

The Classic Celica Club has a dyno day once or twice a year.
The last was a few months ago.

redGT4

Well it wasn't a rock, it was a piece of glass that hit like bullet in the worst place possible. :cry: prob on the southern expressway.

while i was waiting, managed to fit the turbo coolant line. Still doesn't line up with the hole accurately enough for me, but if it doesn't leak, i'll be happy, if it does, it'll be a trip back to the engineering shop for some new lines.

Gotta get a new alt' belt as well as it's cracked to shit.

everyday i get more and more keen to finish but my deadline is creeping back to 15th november.

@mwp, president of the club,:shock:....do gt4's count :D

redGT4

Well i've had a shoulder strain for the last 10 days, which sucks big time, but i managed to put the turbo back on, attach some of the lines and dp.

Need to a get a few little things for the car, like oil and coolant, some bolts to attach the oxy sensor, alternator belt. Then work out the small probs that crop up along the way.

hmm...not much more to update.

MWP

redGT4":t42e8u7b said:
@mwp, president of the club,:shock:....do gt4's count :D

They certainly do :)
As Toyota dont make Celica's anymore, we consider them all to be classics :p
Youre very welcome to join the club if you are interested.

redGT4

Almost there. With the hottest november week for a hundred years I cant be fucked working under the car. :D

Plus tafe assignments for software development need to be done. :D

Thats all.