Grand Turismo - Aussie ST185 - track day found the weakness

redGT4

MWP":23kjp5is said:
What area of Adelaide are you in?

Down in Hackham

sleeker162":23kjp5is said:
still smoking? might have just been the turbo seal bedding in

Yeah, the outer film on the turbo has burnt off, i was thinking the turbo might have to break in for a bit. Too damn hot to take it for a spin at the moment, forecast for 40c today.

Also is there a safe way to remove the carbon from the oxy sensor. Mine is fairly well covered. I was thinking maybe carby cleaner or something. Toyota want like 275+ up to 320 depending on which store you call for a new one, is there a generic brand of them available?

Happy New Year to everyone :D

MWP

You cant drive it in 40degC temps?
Not going to of much use in Adel then :doh:
I was a little surprised by mine, no problems in hot temps at all, even when giving it some stick :)

Carb cleaner (and almost any other cleaner) will kill an Oxy sensor.
Dont need a genuine Toyota unit.
Any O2 sensor that will bolt in will do the job... might need a little wiring work though.

redGT4

Good to know on the oxy sensor, i'll have to start hunting around.

As for the 40c temps, its me rather than the car, though i don't have coolant in it yet, just water (with a little left over toyota red). With the toyota red coolant, it takes 40 + in peak traffic temps just fine.

Otherwise it runs fine, idles okay, no ecu codes, i took it for a spin for about 10-15 ks yesterday, no probs, smoking is minimal, pulls hard at 10psi. Seriously though, it needs a straight road to get up past 150 kph for it to really stretch its legs, i'm up to the limit so quickly i can't get a feel for the turbo's new lungs and teh zorst will make a difference as well which i'm hoping to get done in the next week, or at least a quote and then get it in within 2 weeks.

I still have quite a lot to do.

MWP

Not too far away then.
Might have to meet up for a drive along Piggott Range & Main Rd sometime :)

Willunga Hill is a good place to give the engine a work out, bit of a drive to get out there though.
I go out there to do some engine tuning now and then.

Classic Celica Club has a cruise coming up on the 9th (this Sat) if your interested.
Decent length drive out to Tanunda and back.

redGT4

Classic Celica Club has a cruise coming up on the 9th (this Sat) if your interested.
Decent length drive out to Tanunda and back.

arrgggh! I work on weekends 'cause its an 3 days pay for 2 days so no can make it. Forecast for 41c though, thats gonna be a killer for those underbonnet temps.

MWP

We have changed the cruise to 7pm on Sat night to avoid the heat.
Meet at Bunnings Mile End.

PM me if you want more info, phone nums, etc.

redGT4

^ i'll be on of these cruises one day....

Got the zorst booked, 2.5 stainless, mandrel bends, hi flow cat, resonator and oval twin tip rear muff, getting that done on 4 feb then a dyno tune to check my afr's and get a power reading, on the 11 feb. Honestly, if it is above 130 kw at the wheels, i'll be fairly happy.

Though it is running at 9psi at the moment, its dropped one psi since the turbo rebuild, but seems to pull harder. :shrug:

MWP

Shame you didnt make the cruise, it was a good run though the hills.
Here is a bit of vid from it taken on a RA23.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umR-pskUScE
Im in front of him heading down chain of ponds. Brakes went soft, so i had to back off for a bit :(
Youll see a backfire from my exhaust at the end too :)

You exhaust sounds good!
Ive got my GT4 booked in for exhaust for next fri too.
From dump pipe back to the rear muffler, 2.5in, mandrel, mild steel, flex, no cat, hotdog for $500.
Apparently AAA exhausts have a good rep, we'll see.

You should feel what its like up at 18psi then :evil:
Still only takes a week or two to get used to that, then want to wind it up further :(
Im not going any further than that though on stock internals and CT26.

redGT4

Pic of the new zorst rear muffler. Sounds good. I think the twin tip looks good.

P2040455.jpg

Rejuvenating the trim panel. All of the panel was like the top section; sun faded and ugly. Some Mothers Naturally Black brought it back to respectability. Though having done it, i would maybe wet sand with a fine grit first to reduce the scratches or just paint it.

CopyofP1310441_01.jpg

Starting to detail engine bay A cut and polish of the strut tower to see how it came up. You can see how it was before just above the power steering reservoir.
Copy2ofP1310442_01.jpg

Well, thats my major outlays for the car done for now. Next week it goes on the dyno, just for a check. Before hand I'll have to put it back up on the stands and tighten a couple of leaks, a bit of a clean.

redGT4

There are some days you wake up and hate your cars. Today is such a day.

Daily driver: I had my radiator replaced a while back because of road debris (a sliver of glass) that pierced the fin and f**ked it. Even since then, cooling problems. arrrgghhhh! Checked the coolant today and lost around 2 litres - somewhere. I have no idea where as there is no apparent leaks. :pissed:

GT4: A shitty old battery and not much driving and a possible drain somewhere is pissing me off. I have found the door open light switch on the drivers door is faulty, so i've got a replacement from the wreckers, but some DMM troubleshooting is in order. arrrgggh! and it is leaking oil after i got the exhaust put on. No leaks before hand, i made sure of that. :pissed:

f**king cars :bangshead: f**king workshops :bangshead: F**K! :bangshead:

Tommorrow is dyno day as well. I wonder just how much power she'll put out?

redGT4

Okay. Had the bitch dyno'd this morning. First of all the oil leak was fixed up, just a matter of tightening the T oil feed banjo.

Well. Remember this is a stock engine, just the zorst, a tmic, and the turbo flowed. Unfortunately the bitch is running very rich, actually it is extremely rich my AFR's run around 10.7 for the entire run. Toyota's like to overfuel!

The results (drum role please):

Max torque: 188.2nm @ 144kph
Max Power: 103.5awdKW @ 148kph.

Dyno was running 2.31 SAE j607 correction, ambient temps were 24.5c with 82% humidity

The torque ran a nice flat line through out the run but it isn't on the printout. The power, well, at the start of the run the AFR was okay,then it dumped fuel and the power suffered. If the AFR's we're better, power would easily climb.

Anyway, am i happy about the power - not really, some work to be done. A new ecu with fuel control should see a pretty good result for power - maybe the vipec plug n play unit.

Once i get the scanner from my dad, then i'll post up the actual sheet. I took some pics on my phone so'll might post those as well.

There was also another '185 there getting a new jdm engine from a half-cut and a new clutch put in it.

MWP

What workshop was it at for the dyno?

Thats a pretty low dyno result :(
I would expect higher than that on factory boost and ECU.

New ECU should make a world of difference :)

Have you entered ToyoShow?

redGT4

That was at Classic performance in Hackham.

I've been thinking about it all day. I suspect my oxy sensor maybe to blame, its old and covered in crud - i did post somewhere about cleaning it. I'll pull it tomorrow and give it another inspection. Stock intake with a cheapo Ryco filter is of course some restriction as well.

Hadn't heard of Toyoshow before - but i just googled it. Have to work those days - except for the friday. Should make it after work to glenelg for a quick view. Maybe will join up the cruise.

redGT4

Well, My mates looking to buy Group A number 5. White. Serviced and maintained by Neal Bates Automotive in ACT. Fairly well stock. Interestingly it does not have the gold plate on the radiator support. This was only put on for specific customer orders, some Group A's sold off the dealer floor, and hence not spec'd by a customer did not have them (although i have yet to see a group A that has been spec'd up like mine)

Found a replacement EGO sensor as well - 1/3 of toyota's bullshit price. NGK 4 wire w/plug. Will help out my enrichment problem, not saying it will cure it, but we'll see what happens.

redGT4

There's nothing like a cruise to the beach on a warm summer evening to watch the girlies in bikinis walk by. At least my car gets admiring looks, though it could be me getting the looks - nah, who am i kidding - its the car.

Oh it's winter where you are? No beach? Oh well :lol:

MWP

Did you get out to ToyoShow at all?
Would have been good to have another GT4 there... we had 3 (two 185s, and one 165).

redGT4

MWP":40apn3zz said:
Did you get out to ToyoShow at all?
Would have been good to have another GT4 there... we had 3 (two 185s, and one 165).

I didn't get there.Well done for the top club display.. I watched the vids on your ytube channel. I did see a silver gen 2 (i think) pull up in a servo. Looked awesome. Are you thinking of going to the Old Skool & New Age show at christies beach? One month away on the 27 march, barring heavy rain on the day, me and my mate (you met him on the cruise awhile back) will be entering ours (though his group A shits on mine for looks).

And now back to the gt4. I'm holding off on any mods at the moment, except for a new shifter boot ( i had one made up but its a little too tight for my liking) to save some cash for some work around the house and the daily driver. So i'll put my stereo back in and clean it up. A half hour detailing every couple of days passes the time.

MWP

Yup, will be down at the Old Skool & New Age for a look.
Not entering though.

Will also be at All Jap Day this Sunday at Wigley.

redGT4

so i checked NGK's website for their oxysensors. 3sgte - covers 89-99. So i ordered the part and sure enough, 2 weeks waiting, the fucking plug is wrong. Right part number, wrong plug. Different plug, the 4 pins are around the wrong way, mine are parallel to the divider, these are at right angles, not even a semblance of being the right plug :bangshead:.