OKC Project-8/1/15-Another fun car!

toayoztan

Alright, I did this a while back, but here's some before and after shots of the rear fender-well and under-chassis area of the car.

The before, dirty as hell, 15+ years of dirt, grease, oil, weather, and anything else you can imagine. After? Well...clean enough for me to slap the por15 ontop of. I'll get pictures of that up later. Enjoy!

BEFORE

Here's the stuff that had to be removed to get everything all properly cleaned up.

These next two pictures show the inner rear quarter panel, behind the rear speakers. I cleaned this up some, and slapped some POR15 on it.

AFTER

Bryan

2of81

Looks great! Good to see your going over it with great detail, this car should be good to go for another 18+ years. I wish one of these days I can devote that kind of time to my All-Trac

toayoztan

Thanks!

I wish I could have stitch welded the chassis together, but I had no time for that (and my little brother, the welder, is busy with school too).

Bryan

GT4times2

toayoztan":2z6s2443 said:
Thanks!

I wish I could have stitch welded the chassis together, but I had no time for that (and my little brother, the welder, is busy with school too).

Bryan

Looks great!! What's the rush? Wait for your little brother to do it. :p

On a serious note, did you brush off the surface rust, or just applied the POR 15? I'm loving all these restoration projects. There is hope for Alltracs after all. :)

toayoztan

GT4times2":1hwd6v4r said:
toayoztan":1hwd6v4r said:
Thanks!

Bryan

Looks great!! What's the rush? Wait for your little brother to do it. :p

On a serious note, did you brush off the surface rust, or just applied the POR 15? I'm loving all these restoration projects. There is hope for Alltracs after all. :)

I scraped away any "heavy" rust but any surface rust was cleaned with chemicals, then treated with Por15 prep, then applied over it. The por15 is SUPPOSED to bind well to any surface rust.

Bryan

toayoztan

Hey guys! I've been pretty busy with board exams, a much needed vacation to Maui between my 2nd and 3rd year of med school, and busy rotation. The alltrac is slowly coming together, I'll have to post up the pics I have so far.

Right now, I need to order an upper timing cover (the two sets I have have cracks or holes), so I may get the clear timing cover.

I'm still thinking about how to get the toe bushings out of the rear subframe (i'll be using a torch most likely).

Then I need to get a bunch of the ebrake hardware ordered to replace, then things should come together very smoothly.

Bryan

toayoztan

Alright guys, an update on how things are going so far. I've been busy with school, but now have some "free time" the rest of the Fall and Winter to work on my car!

I'll have to get some pictures of under the car that has POR15 on it. Otherwise, after I finished that, I've been putting the block and head together. The following are pictures showing that, along with some more parts I've ordered since the last update.

Enjoy!

More parts!

ZakleeCorp Clear Upper Timing Cover

Celica 7gen Leather Steering - I got a good deal on this, so I settled up for the auto one with paddle/button shifters. I'm going to see about "relabeling" the buttons somehow and possibly wire up the buttons for some kind of functional use. Regardless, this wheel is 10x better than the stock one IMO.

Metal Radiator Cooling Panel

OEM Front and Rear Caliper overhaul/rebuild kits - courtesy of Justin (2of81), thanks!

It's actually getting pretty late, I'll post the motor pics up, and more progress from Sunday, tomorrow evening!

Bryan

toayoztan

More pictures of the update/progress.

These pics show some of the parts I decided to clean up and powder coat myself.

Dirty!

Scrubbed and cleaned up, but not quite the clean I'm looking for just yet.

Much better! Parts were coated Lava Matte Black, High Gloss Black, and Ultimate Chrome.

I decided to clean up the head and sprayed it with some careful masking. We'll see if the paint holds up.

The exhaust side..

These pics are of the block build so far. Enjoy!

Here's the block, painted, rebuilt with the goods.

Comparison of the new ATS oil pump vs the OEM one.

On the block!

Oil pick-up/baffle cleaned up with a new gasket.

Thrown on with pulley and gear.

Oil cooler and plate ready to be assembled.

Installed!

Cometic MHG ready to be smashed by the head!

Head is on!

Another view...

More timing stuff installed.

Timing's done! I like the clear upper timing cover.

Another view of how far I've gotten so far.

Here's the shell patiently waiting for the motor!

If you're curious about what the "faded yellow" car is, my little brother with the 2.5RS bought a '72 Datsun 240z. It's pretty clean for its age, we have plans to put in a different motor and get it cleaned up!

Bryan

turbo4wd

Great progress on the engine, and that is a sweet S30 Z.. I've been looking for one myself for quite some time.. That and a RA28 Celica..

Terracar

Wow wow wow

I agree, I hope I have the drive and passion to do this to my 'trac someday. Wonderful work. The engine looks cleaner than my dinner plates.

On the underside what did you clean it with? Sand blast or chemicals?

-Terracar

toayoztan

turbo4wd":8nmxn78t said:
Great progress on the engine, and that is a sweet S30 Z.. I've been looking for one myself for quite some time.. That and a RA28 Celica..

Yeah, it's a sweet car. I'd like the RA29 (77 liftback) myself, has that "japanese mustang" appeal.

Terracar":8nmxn78t said:
On the underside what did you clean it with? Sand blast or chemicals?

I used chemicals b/c I cleaned it up after my paint job, but I still wouldn't have sandblasted. If i had to do it again, I would have steamed cleaned the underside, then lighly use chemicals (purple power again), then still coat it with POR15 like i did.

Meurz: Thanks! Can't wait to get the other stuff on.

Bryan

MWP

toayoztan":2ravbgqq said:
turbo4wd":2ravbgqq said:
Yeah, it's a sweet car. I'd like the RA29 (77 liftback) myself, has that "japanese mustang" appeal.

RA28 is the same body shape (mustang back) as a RA29.
Just the RA28 is better looking as it doesnt have the horrible US plastic safety bumpers.
My other project car is a RA28 with 1UZ-FE (Lexus 4L V8), manual gbox (R154), hilux diff, etc :)

darthripley

motor looks very clean!
you've made great progress with it Bryan.

the clear cam cover almost makes me want to get one for R2's motor, the red gears look pretty.
all the powdercoated parts look super nice too.
just as a sideline - all the brackets you powdercoated for us still look just perfect. a lot of the brackets got hit with a lot of oil & after cleaning it all off they look brand new again. so thanks again for the great work on those.

love the S30 as well. your bro going for a SR or an RB motor swap on it?
they are so lightweight to start with it doesn't take much to get them really screaming!

toayoztan

WarTowels":ls8ddfzi said:
What cam gears are those? Sorry if it's mentioned somewhere...

Those are Fidanza cam gears. I liked the color, and I like that it has at least 4 bolts.

MWP":ls8ddfzi said:
toayoztan":ls8ddfzi said:
turbo4wd":ls8ddfzi said:

RA28 is the same body shape (mustang back) as a RA29.
Just the RA28 is better looking as it doesnt have the horrible US plastic safety bumpers.
My other project car is a RA28 with 1UZ-FE (Lexus 4L V8), manual gbox (R154), hilux diff, etc :)

Ah didn't know that, I've got quite a bit to learn about them. I REALLY really want one, i've been searching quite a while for a one that is in decent shape to work on. Any advice on what to keep an eye out for when I go look at these things (both online and in person)?

Your project car is pretty much what I want to do lol, slap in the 1uz. I think we've briefly PMed each about this before, but I need to pick your brain a little more on this car :D

Bryan

toayoztan

darthripley":1txp727b said:
motor looks very clean!
you've made great progress with it Bryan.

the clear cam cover almost makes me want to get one for R2's motor, the red gears look pretty.
all the powdercoated parts look super nice too.
just as a sideline - all the brackets you powdercoated for us still look just perfect. a lot of the brackets got hit with a lot of oil & after cleaning it all off they look brand new again. so thanks again for the great work on those.

love the S30 as well. your bro going for a SR or an RB motor swap on it?
they are so lightweight to start with it doesn't take much to get them really screaming!

Thanks for the comments!

Yeah, the clear cam cover I got only b/c the two stock ones I had were both cracked or chipped. But i'm pretty happy with it, I think I may put the OEM 3sgte sticker over the silk screened "web address" :roll:

Glad to hear those brackets are holding up! I've bought a better gun since and gotten better at my technique, so glad to hear those are still doing good. I can't wait to powder coat my valve cover, IC piping, etc =] Got a good color in mind.

He's thinking of throwing the R33 RB26 in there. It was either that, or an LS motor, however, he's not really caring for that idea right now. I'm with him on the RB swap, it'll be nice.

Bryan