MixMaster - Now 3rd gen EFI powered!

MixMaster

Car is at EMS Powered's new shop here in Austin.
They're doing the entire H20 pump, tstat, t-belt, idlers, HFHx2 and a few other seals.
I also had them put in my 3rd gen EFI parts, the 3rd gen cams, and 540cc injectors (all done and ready to go).
Went ahead and had the Valve cover Pcoated black.
Lastly, they're going to fab up some braces, a new intake, new catch can and coolant reservoir and help me clean the bay up a bit more. More than likely clocking the turbo and welding up my IC pipes as well.
Car should be done in another week I'm guessing.
They've got a great setup, I keep dropping by to bring more stuff for them to do and they're hammering away.
I snapped a pic after they pulled the turbo and manifold without removing the radiator, replaced the HFH's and started on the water pump. More photos when it's done.

Attachments

• vcover-coated.jpg
    vcover-coated.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 2,675
  • waterpump-tstat.jpg
    waterpump-tstat.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 2,675
  • work-turbooff.jpg
    work-turbooff.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 2,675

MixMaster

Got my car back last week. Can not stress how happy I am with the work and turnaround EMS Powered did for me. They've opened a new shop here in town and I was first to get my car in there and try them out. Worked out perfectly, seeing how I was being lazy and had no time.
Full Tbelt/H20 pump/seals, HFH service, new cams, injectors, Custom Welding: catch can, intake, reservoirs, brackets, FMIC piping/ clocked turbo, 3rd gen EFI installed (MR2 ECU, IAC valve vented with filter, IAT sensor in intake, BERK MAT @ CS injector, BERK Harness, 540cc injectors, 3rd gen MAP, ignitor and cams).
These guys went above and beyond-including fresh compression test #s, engine bay condensing, Powder coated valve cover, etc, etc..
Compression tested at 167 across the board!!!

I know some people bag on the 3rd gen EFI conversion but with the cams the car really runs like a brand new car. I could not be happier. I know people also complein about the car falling flat over 5k RPMs, I don't feel that and it's very rare I spend much time over 5k rpms anyway. The ct20b shows to be hitting 17psi and holding all the way to about 6k+ which is still much later than where I normally shift.

Now I just need some paint on the RC bumper and hood (if I keep it)....

Before:
2010-04-18180621.jpg

After

photo12-upload.jpg

darthripley

They did a nice job cleaning everything up.
I bet it feels nice with the 3rd gen EFI installed & the engine bay looks great with the AFM gone.
Maybe we can get together in the spring - just got too much going on here to even think about any kind of trip. getting sick really messed up a lot of things!

Meurz

I've always loved this car, it makes me want to keep mine red! Simply clean. :notworthy:

MixMaster

Thanks ripley, I completely understand. It's always crazy here also. The TX meet will happen one day... The car really does feel completely different. I'm going to borrow you guy's paint the belt cover next.

Meurz, that means a lot coming from you. Your car and work is top 5 all-time and one of my favorites.
Please tell me your not painting that CS. Keep red alive lol

Mike, yeah they did a great job. I would take it there for anything and the rates are very reasonable.
I'l text you and see if I can't sneak down for lunch tomorrow. For sure next week, my boss is out of town..lol

toayoztan

Hey, car is looking good. I really like the no side moulding look also, and that's what I went with on my car with the body/paint guy.

Bryan

MixMaster

That's sick Bryan, I'll be watching for your pics. I really like the no side mouldings also.
Next time you're in TX yell and we can try for another meet up.

Meurz

I'm going to paint mine anyway as it has faded badly (already faded when I bought it!).
It's getting a huge make over into street legal track day monster, so might not be so clean anymore.. :roll:

But red or white, that's the question.. Track/rally style car = white, but red is awesome. :p

toayoztan

Keep it red!

But, I personally don't like drastic color changes.

Besides, with the right Red, it can look clean.

Bryan

MixMaster

Car is at EMS, going to a full 3rd Gen Swap to get my A/C and power steering back, along with the better tranny.

They're also putting on a new custom exhaust.

Hope to update soon....

MixMaster

Yeah, that was my #1 issue and question after reading all the history and yours on here with that issue.

I'll get the exact fix and send it to you but they've assured me that they have it.

CMS are you using your 2nd gen harness?

I'll be using my MR2 3rd gen ECU. Currently, I have my 2nd gen harness and am using the berk technology adapter.

I know that my blower still turned on and the heater worked with it.

CMS-GT4

Yeah, I am using a 2nd gen harness and a patch cable at the ecu. I can get the air to turn on but only when I remove a wire the ecu needs to run right. I would appreciate any hints in the right direction.

MixMaster

I'll definitely send over any and everything I can find out. There was a swapped red 185 that had tue working a/f and 3rd gen setup but he was using the 205 ecu. I really thought it was just a matter of getting the clutch to engage and the idle up to kick in when you used all the 2nd gen stuff.
I know there was a thread on 6gc.net that discussed the fix and at least one on gt4oc.

MixMaster

3rd Gen WRC motor going in...

Out with the old!!

This will also give me a chance to clean the bay up, replace that brake mbc, get the AC plumbing back in.

Attachments

• 100_2051.jpg
    100_2051.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 1,865
  • IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 1,865

baktasht

Glad to help feed the addiction Paul ;)

I'm sure the car will have new life and you'll have even more reason to hang onto it longterm once the new drivetrain is in along with the new EMSPowered 3" stainless b-pipe and exhaust.

MixMaster

Long story short - my car is back home. Motor is in, still needs AC finished, exhaust, wiring harness and a few other missing parts. Going to be looking for a 3rd gen mr2 ecu, 3rd gen valve cover, get the wiring harness completed, ac fix for 3rd gen conversions, new tires, flush fuel system, exhaust..... should be fun. Just glad it's back home.

I'll either end up trying to fnish it myself or shipping it somewhere else.
Been waaaay to long.

Also, the exhaust is now a new work in progress. Toyota Todd, I still have your stock exhaust and will be in touch. I don't have mine done either....

20130815_123928.jpg