St215 motor + st205 gearbox into St165 JDM build

bmt

Are you Sergei? Yeah I'd like some manual window winders and door cards from an At160 but they just dont turn up that often.

Zomb

bmt":2i8ot0tx said:
Are you Sergei? Yeah I'd like some manual window winders and door cards from an At160 but they just dont turn up that often.

No, I know him though.

bmt

So I needed to find a place for a fuse box.

Of course me being me I wanted something different but functional and hidden.

I wanted all the fuses and relays in ONE spot accessible with out tools and inside the car, but where to put them??

I discarded the tunnel side of the passenger footwell as I thought it would be hard to disguise and protect from being kicked. Then I spied a place that I thought could work. First I had to build the box.

DSC02102.JPG

16 fuses and 10 relays in a little space!

Now to mount it,

DSC02103.JPG

And now to hide it,

DSC02104.JPG

Pretty stoked with how it turned out now if I could convince my boss to keep going with the wiring.... :roll:

wakkjobb

Wow, what an amazing build! That Corona swap looks great; really unique.

Have you thought about making another 3-gauge pod to sell? :wink:

bmt

801Alltrac":30uqizt2 said:
wakkjobb":30uqizt2 said:
Have you thought about making another 3-gauge pod to sell? :wink:

X2^

I haven't really considered it but maybe once I have finished my car.... :roll:

If I was doing it I would make it a little simpler to fit and obviously for both left and right hand drive cars.

Overtriped

Awesome awesome build, exellent alloy work. I think your power goal is very doable, that setup should be very durable at that level, could go much more if you wanted. Big thumbs up. Have you thought about raising your shifter up and skid plates? Your inspiring me to buy a tig welder.

bmt

Thanks for the interest and comments!!

I changed the shifter by buying another one from an MRs Toyota and moved the ball on the shifter and raised it. End result the top of the shifter is exactly the same height as factory, but the throw is down from 130mm approxiamately from 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 4th to approxiamately 70mm. It feels pretty good at the moment but until the car is going I wont know if it works well or not!

I do want to run a skid plate as well, but getting a cheap piece of 5 or 6mm aluminium plate big enough is an issue.

Shaggz00

I can't believe I haven't seen this thread until today, it's freakin awesome!

Being that your Celica is such an early model, did it come with the locking center diff?

bmt

Thanks for the interest!
Yes it did but they aren't what you really want in terms of an awesome centre diff. Only really useful slow snow driving.

I will try and get some progress pictures up soon!

Shaggz00

bmt":1ly9et8i said:
Thanks for the interest!
Yes it did but they aren't what you really want in terms of an awesome centre diff. Only really useful slow snow driving.

Oh. lol, kinda disappointing! I always imagined the locking center as being super awesome and truck-like. I did kind of imagine it as a low speed thing. Since your trans it out, could you pm me pictures of the actuator and stuff?

Also, as a professional welder, machinist and all around fabricator, MAD PROPS on your stuff. I can weld up and down anything from mild steel to alum to Ti, and anything in-between, but the sheet metal finesse has always escaped my grasp. Beautiful stuff, I can't wait to see more.

bmt

I did do some work whilst the wiring has been progressing.

I completely removed all the sunroof mechanism. Till I was left with a bare roof with a sunroof hole. I made some brackets and put a fibreglass sunroof in. Bonded it in using Wurth KD Bond and sealant. It is urethane product NOT silicone. Basically I made some brackets that let me position the sunroof in the hole in all three dimensions. Then masked it up underneath and bonded it in. I deliberate left it a little low so i can mask it up later, and after paint, put in a nice neat black seal. After it dried I peeled the masking tape and it came out really well. Sorry no photos but ask away!

I also did my Radiator ducting. The idea is to make use of the air that comes in through the grill area and force it to do as I bid!

So I started with;

DSC02106.JPG DSC02105.JPG

The bottom is already capped off by the piece that I put in earlier when I did the intercooler install.

Then I made some pieces to blank off the sides,

DSC02119.JPG

Thats the left side it is attached at the bottom to my bottom piece.

bmt

Continuing,

DSC02120.JPG

The right side.

I put in a swage to stiffen them up and there is a fold on the top with a couple of rivnuts in the top to attach the top piece to.

DSC02121.JPG

Both sides in and rivnuts added to the slam panel for the top piece to connect to.

DSC02122.JPG

Top piece in place. Now more air has to go through my intercooler and radiator than around it!!

Awesome-Trac

bmt":2xwy0dyb said:
Oh I changed something.....

Before,

View attachment 2

After,

View attachment 1

Another view,

I just wanted something different. It came up on our version of ebay . If you dont know it's from a St162 Corona. I had the grille dechromed and painted it black as were the indicator lense surrounds. I saved a bunch of weight by getting rid of the pop up lights as a bonus.
I have plans for the bonnet including a colour change!!

Damn you make me want to convert the frontend so bad! So many thing can go wrong on the flip lights where in your case seems like a pretty easy setup incase a problem arises

bmt

That was an added bonus to the swap. Everything fitted like a glove so it was easy swap but finding a donor vehicle was the hard part!!

bmt

It's running!! I now need to wire the essentials to get it road worthy and then I can run it in. Then off to the dyno.

bmt

Thanks!! I do appreciate the support. To be honest the whole wiring thing just about did me in. I just didn't have the skills or know how for electrical stuff and just seeing my car sitting outside with no progress was killing me.

BUT I WILL PREVAIL!!