DIY Electronics projects for ST185, want your Ideas

MWP

You shouldnt have bends in tracks with an angle over 90deg.
The etching acid undercuts the resist layer and youll end up with less copper at those corners.

This is one of the larger projects ive made...

Design, schematics, PCB layout & PCB production all done by me at home.
The PCB is double sided and is accurate enough for TSSOP IC's and 0805 resistors.

Its not too hard to make PCBs of this quality at home if you have the time.
The artwork was printed using a crappy bubble-jet printer on BJ compatible transparency film.
The PCB is Riston brand double sided pre-coated.
Was exposed for ~8min under a normal fluro desk lamp (not UV).
Then etched & drilled as per normal. Vias are done using wire links.

eNpVjbsOgkAQRX-FbA_M7g7rMlREGgs-wMrggoDyCmAiMf67IFA43Tk3905Cmt4DSWJdaVgwEHrE4qR_DG48WdHp7AoAtMG3QVtReLTDukM3HUzDlfCde5f_SsRuZVWxoCSYcZ4wiSmyhfnKY_Gsr3vOib2W2vxVA7DVTJtRm5lV1ebtxbR9k_X7lN5sZ0YWpAQOwv8JIQBRAfrCA8klaNB4EEpKqbjmCkEJL_h8ATnJQYk,.jpg

eNpVjbsOgkAQRX_FbA_M7g7LMlREGgs-wMrggoDyCmAiMf67IFA43Tk3905Cmt4DSWJdaVgwELrE4qR_DE48HaLT2REAaIFvgT5E4dEK6w6ddDANV65n37v8VyJ2K6uKBSXBjPOESUyRLcxXHotnfd1zTuy11OavGoCtZtqM2sysqjZvL6btm6zfp_RmOzOyICWwEf5PCAGICtAXLkguQYNGTygppeKaKwQl3ODzBTqHQYo,.jpg

eNpVjbsOgkAQRX-FbA_M7g7rMlREGgs-wMrggoDyCmAiMf67IFA43Tk3905Cmt4DSWJdaVgwEHrE4qR_DG48WdHp7AoAtMG3QVtReLTDukM3HUzDlaede5f_SsRuZVWxoCSYcZ4wiSmyhfnKY_Gsr3vOib2W2vxVA7DVTJtRm5lV1ebtxbR9k_X7lN5sZ0YWpAQOwv8JIQBRAfrCA8klaNB4EEpKqbjmCkEJL_h8ATtCQYs,.jpg

Assembling the audio amp:
eNpVjbsOgkAQRX_FbA_M7g7LMlREGgs-wMrggoDyCmAiMf67IFA43Tk3905Cmt4DSWJdaVgwELrE4qR_DE48HaLT2REAaIFvgT5E4dEK6w6ddDAN93y0713-KxG7lVXFgpJgxnnCJKbIFuYrj8Wzvu45J_ZaavNXDcBWM21GbWZWVZu3F9P2TdbvU3qznRlZkBLYCP8nhABEBegLFySXoEGjJ5SUUnHNFYISbvD5AjwDQYw,.jpg

I built that amp back in 2003, and its still works perfectly to this day :)

aus jd 2703

Something simple you guys could Make is an adjustable fan controller so you can set ya fans lower to suit a low temp thermostat

Landon

someone wanna fix my JL audio amp that i got from ebay that someone screwed me over with? lol. i didn't install it util 7 months later and its toasted inside.

Andy

Take a look at what I did with the Arduino. http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32605&hilit=arduino+boost

In summary:
- controls the boost
- Measure and log any 5 volt signal; curently the AFM, TPS, and Vac/Boost signals + WB O2
- Control of radiator fan
- Log/graph data on a PC

Don't have but should be doable (look for/at the MPGuino project)
- tach
- injector duty cycles
- Speed

I recently aquired an ELM327 with bluetooth, about $25, this plugs into the ODB2 port of '96+ cars. It not only provides diagnostic information, but real time data as well. Along with that I put "Torque", $5, onto my Android.
see: http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=42988

The "Torque" application is fantastic. Google: "ELM327 Torque"

It will show you some good info even on our cars w/o ODB2 (from GPS and the accelorometers) . Which brings me to what I've been working on lately. If I add a Bluetooth module to my Arduino and follow the OBD2/CAN protoco, then I should be able to present the above data (plus more) to the Torque application. Torque, would "see" my Arduino as an OBD2 enabled ECU. This moves the data display, logging, etc. from the Arduino/PC to the Android and Torque.

Andy

l0ch0w

MWP":1jmoiruh said:
You shouldnt have bends in tracks with an angle over 90deg.
The etching acid undercuts the resist layer and youll end up with less copper at those corners.

This is one of the larger projects ive made...

Design, schematics, PCB layout & PCB production all done by me at home.
The PCB is double sided and is accurate enough for TSSOP IC's and 0805 resistors.

Its not too hard to make PCBs of this quality at home if you have the time.
The artwork was printed using a crappy bubble-jet printer on BJ compatible transparency film.
The PCB is Riston brand double sided pre-coated.
Was exposed for ~8min under a normal fluro desk lamp (not UV).
Then etched & drilled as per normal. Vias are done using wire links.

eNpVjbsOgkAQRX-FbA_M7g7rMlREGgs-wMrggoDyCmAiMf67IFA43Tk3905Cmt4DSWJdaVgwEHrE4qR_DG48WdHp7AoAtMG3QVtReLTDukM3HUzDlfCde5f_SsRuZVWxoCSYcZ4wiSmyhfnKY_Gsr3vOib2W2vxVA7DVTJtRm5lV1ebtxbR9k_X7lN5sZ0YWpAQOwv8JIQBRAfrCA8klaNB4EEpKqbjmCkEJL_h8ATnJQYk,.jpg

eNpVjbsOgkAQRX_FbA_M7g7LMlREGgs-wMrggoDyCmAiMf67IFA43Tk3905Cmt4DSWJdaVgwELrE4qR_DE48HaLT2REAaIFvgT5E4dEK6w6ddDANV65n37v8VyJ2K6uKBSXBjPOESUyRLcxXHotnfd1zTuy11OavGoCtZtqM2sysqjZvL6btm6zfp_RmOzOyICWwEf5PCAGICtAXLkguQYNGTygppeKaKwQl3ODzBTqHQYo,.jpg

eNpVjbsOgkAQRX-FbA_M7g7rMlREGgs-wMrggoDyCmAiMf67IFA43Tk3905Cmt4DSWJdaVgwEHrE4qR_DG48WdHp7AoAtMG3QVtReLTDukM3HUzDlaede5f_SsRuZVWxoCSYcZ4wiSmyhfnKY_Gsr3vOib2W2vxVA7DVTJtRm5lV1ebtxbR9k_X7lN5sZ0YWpAQOwv8JIQBRAfrCA8klaNB4EEpKqbjmCkEJL_h8ATtCQYs,.jpg

Assembling the audio amp:
eNpVjbsOgkAQRX_FbA_M7g7LMlREGgs-wMrggoDyCmAiMf67IFA43Tk3905Cmt4DSWJdaVgwELrE4qR_DE48HaLT2REAaIFvgT5E4dEK6w6ddDAN93y0713-KxG7lVXFgpJgxnnCJKbIFuYrj8Wzvu45J_ZaavNXDcBWM21GbWZWVZu3F9P2TdbvU3qznRlZkBLYCP8nhABEBegLFySXoEGjJ5SUUnHNFYISbvD5AjwDQYw,.jpg

I built that amp back in 2003, and its still works perfectly to this day :)
Damn!

Thanks for the tip BTW, That pic I showed was of my very first PCB I ever made... ive gotten a bit better since... but not nearly to where you are at though.

Instead of printing on transparency, I found large clear labels that I can print on, I just stick em to the PCB under the blacklight, and voila! No need to dork around with transparency films and potentially ruining the PCB by accidentally moving the transparency press thing or whatever you use.

MWP

Great idea with the labels!
Where do you get em from? I havent seen anything like that on the shelf (not that ive been looking though).

I used masking tap to stick the transparency to the PCB, then exposed one side at a time.
Never had any misalignment issues thankfully.

zf_165_gt

Hi guys.
a lot of time as passed since I started this thread and a lot of things happened.
I put aside my universal datalogger project a while ago and concentrated on something else.
lesser powerful but a lot easier to use and as my goal was to reach people with it, it is doing fine yet.

I made an Android datalogger for our obd1 capable 3S-GTE and many other toyotas of that era.
it necessitate a circuit that i build and sell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_NYN44ZsQA
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ps.toyobd1

If you are familiar with the windows Cartester8000 application this is kind of a port on the Android platform.
It gets farther than that as you can export your logs to excel to process custom macros on it.
many uses are possible with this
the first one is to make sure sensor readings are OK.
second one is to know crucial data to brew a base tune for a standalone ECU.

athousandleaves

I'm not on Facebook, what's in the group?

Any reason why your app must see the other running apps on my device?

Also which parameters are we capable of logging and viewing? It was difficult to see in your video and on the play store I can see you have about 10 values but I want to be sure what your abbreviations stand for. And what's with the little boxes that flash on the right when you're in the vertical view with the full readout.

Correct me if I'm wrong here...
INJ = Injector duty cycle
IGN = Ignition timing adv/rtd
IAC = Idle air control
RPM = Tachometer
VAF = Air Flow Meter
ECT = Automatic Transmission gear number?
TPS = Throttle Position Sensor
SPD = Speed
OX1 = Oxygen sensor voltage
MPG = Fuel economy

It would be really useful to get access to more of the coolant temp sensors, oil pressure sensor and the O2 sensor for AFR's.

I could see maybe including the option to use the RPM + Speed to give an approximate horsepower calculation based on the users inputted vehicle weight too.

zf_165_gt

Hi,
the application is not intended to be a spyware, I ll have to check what you mean by that and correct this.

To better describe what it does I made a glossary in the application, there it shows what the abbreviation means. what the flashing square means. what are the limitations of the protocol. how to connect my device to your car. how to contact me to get a device.
It's really the first place to look to get info.
I should copy all that on my blog so that you are not forced to install an application and then trust it ;)

the protocol is tool limited for hp calculations , it would be too vague.

water temps are available.

zf_165_gt

The group is the place where i invite everyone I sold a circuit so that they can get support if needed and share how they use the application. let them ask for features . this is great to ensure everyone gets what he needs in the end. there is of course a lot of person interested in this thing but not ready yet.

zf_165_gt

Oh BTW,
there is no oil pressure sensor on the ST185s they had an oil pressure switch,
st165s and st162s had one but that was only for display in the dashboard , the ECU dont read them at all.
the pyrometer is falling in the same category. might be interesting to put it to some use. this would be another story

As for AFR from Ox sensor voltage I cant tell yet so I kept that data as raw as possible.
ECT stands for Engine Coolant Temperature.

you figured the other abbvs right.