FWDLOL!

k.beaty

I haven't really ever made a project thread for my car, and I figured that some of you might be interested.... I'll start out telling you that my name is Kyle, and I've owned my 1990 Toyota Celica GT-S for about 3 years. I bought it completely stock, looking something like this.

Celica2.jpg

Did a few little mods...

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1575.jpg

After getting the racing itch. I started doing little things to the car to help the handling, and took it to some local auto-cross events and lapping days. I live in Southern Ontario so I have to park the car for the winter and decided that I really want to get serious and build the car to compete in Time Attack events. I parked the car for the winter last year and decided that I wanted the car to be out and ready race in the spring of 2011. Before I parked it, it looked like this.

IMG_1037.jpg

I didn't want to swap a 3SGTE because I like the reliability of the 5SFE, and I think its cool to go out a beat up on Porches, STI's and k-swapped Civics with my 120hp car. I began collecting parts over the winter and the first thing I came across was a BEAMS transmission with a TRD Helical LSD, and 4.176 final drive. Having an S53 with sworn 2nd and 3rd gear syncros, something had to be done with the transmission and this was a wonderful upgrade.

TRDHelical.jpg

Another thing that needed attention was the suspension bushings. After browsing a bunch of forums, I came across Martin's (gtfour77) build thread. It was a huge inspiration. After getting to the end of it and realizing that he was parting the car out, I was lucky enough to get his front control arms and roll center adjusters since they'll bolt up to a FWD model. His rear suspension was quite a bit different than mine, but after a ton of email's back and forth, I ended up getting the parts needed to make a similar rear setup to his. Needless to say, I ended up having spherical bearings and heim joints in every possible spot, not to mention everything is now adjustable so I can set the car up exactly how I want.

Front.
Front.jpg

Rear.
Rear.jpg

Rear2.jpg

That took me until the spring, I got the car out and took it to some lapping days. It took about 3 full track days to finally get all the suspension figured out and dialed in, as well as fix the few things that didn't hold up as well as I had anticipated. Once everything was working properly, The car felt awesome. Huge thanks to Martin for all his help, and dealing with my hundreds of questions.
I decided that I should probably step up in the safety department, so I got a roll bar put in. I started out deleting my sunroof to strip some weight of the car as well as make room to get the main hoop of the roll bar up that much higher and away from my head!

Took this out.
IMG_3838-1.jpg

Ended up with this.
IMG_3836-1.jpg

IMG_3827-1.jpg

IMG_3834-1.jpg

It's not very pretty, but it works!

This is how the roll bar turned out, I am super happy with it. Excellent work by Can-Alignment. Let's just hope that I never have to test it out.

IMG_1341.jpg

After a few events and getting quicker and quicker each time I was out, I started overheating my stock brakes so I decided to upgrade. I didn't want to go with anything crazy because I want to keep 15" wheels to help with the gearing of the car. I just upgraded to Alltrac brakes and Carbotech XP10 pads over the XP8's that I was using with the stock brakes. The pad is the same size, but the rotor is quite a bit larger which helps dissipate the heat and puts the clamping force farther from the hub with adds leverage to improve braking.

Before.
IMG_3853.jpg

After.
IMG_3854.jpg

Comparison.
IMG_3851.jpg

k.beaty

That brought me to the end of the season last year. So the car got parked in the garage and plans to make the car even better for 2012 started. I don't have any crazy plans since money is tight, and I'd rather spend the money on entering events, and going to lapping days. I've replaced my worn out OMP steering wheel with a Sparco 215, and replaced my old BRIDE reclinable seat for a used Sparco Sprint V seat. It has a few tears in it but it's still FIA certified for 3 more years. I also put a Simpson 5-point harness in to help keep me planted.

HaldimandCounty-20120130-00178-1.jpg

HaldimandCounty-20120130-00188.jpg

HaldimandCounty-20120130-001851.jpg

I had a TRD pro-celebrity exhaust manifold but after cracking it, having it welded, and having it crack again... I decided to take it off this winter and take it to a local fabrication shop. They are making me a similar manifold, with some slight improvements that I've asked them to do. Should have one badass exhaust manifold for the 2012 season. This is how the engine bay currently looks, the green tape is just there to keep debris out of my motor while I wait for my exhaust manifold.

HaldimandCounty-20120130-00190.jpg

Another issue that I was experiencing was oil pressure problems on high G corners. This should take care of that.

HaldimandCounty-20120130-00194.jpg

It's a Moroso oil pan for a 3SGTE MR-2. I will be putting it on shortly, I just have to get a plug for the turbo oil line, and a block-off plate for the oil level sensor since my car doesn't use either of those. I am very excited to get it on and see if it helps the issue. From what I've read, it takes care of it for the most part.

That'll be about it for this year. I'm going to put on Carbotech XP12 front brake pads for even better braking. I'd also like to get the new 949 Racing Rev8 wheels in 15x9(f), 15x8(r) if they ever come out with them! I'm also going to try and strip some more weight from the car, but being my daily driver I can't get rid of everything or start putting lexan in. A carbon fiber hood and CS bumper rebar would be nice if the budget allows for it, but it's not looking that way right now.
This is how the car currently sits, I'm playing around with the scales and trying to get a head start on getting the car set-up for next year.

Scales.jpg

Here is a list of stuff that's currently done to the car if anyone is intrested.

Brakes:
Carbotech XP10 brake pads (F)
Carbotech XP8 brake pads (R)
Brembo blank rotors (F/R)
1993 Alltrac front brakes (10.9” rotor, 50mm single piston caliper)
Turn In Concepts titanium wheel bearing heat shields
Backing plates removed
Techna-Fit stainless steel braided brake lines
ATE Super Blue brake fluid
ARP wheel studs

Engine & Driveterrain:
Speed Source engine/transmission mounts
Speed Source aluminum cross-member bushings
Timing advanced 15 degrees BTDC
Autometer oil pressure gauge
Project Kics magnetic drain plug
ASI 50mm aluminum radiator
SMR Tech aluminum cooling pannel
Redline Water Wetter
Speed Source brass shifter bushings
RTP stainless braided clutch hose
ATE Super Blue fluid
S54 BEAMS transmission 4.176 final drive
TRD Helical LSD
Redline MT-90
Euro-Drive stage 1 pressure plate
Competition Clutch 6 puck sprung disc

Suspension:
Megan Racing coilovers
Suspension Techniques adjustable rear sway bar
Two’s’R’Us adjustable rear end links
Front sway bar removed
Adjustable rear control arms
Adjustable rear trailing arms
Custom front control arms for +3 degrees caster
Custom roll center adjusters
Spherical bearings in all control arms and trailing arms
URAS Steering Up spacers
T3 Tie rod flip kit.
C-One rear strut tower brace
Cusco knock-off front strut tower brace

Wheels & Tires
Diamond Racing Wheels 15x8 6et
205/50R15 Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec
DTD Hubcentric rings

Exhaust:
TRD Long Tube Pro/Celebrity Header
Magnaflow Hi-Flow Catalytic Converter
Borla XR-1 Sportsman Racing muffler
Custom bent aluminized 2.5” piping

Interior/Exterior:
Sparco Sprint V driver’s seat
Sparco 215 steering wheel
5-point Simpson Racing harness
NRG Slim hub
NRG Gen 2.5 quick release
TRD leather wrapped shift knob
JVC In-Dash head unit
Braille 11.5 lbs. Battery relocated to trunk
JDM Clear corner lights
JDM Vented Tail corners
1992 Alltrac front bumper

2of81

FU%#!NG SWEET MAN! I love it! I bet that can really shock the hell out of some cars costing way more. I really like the wheels that are on it, just looks mean to me along with the stance.

Awesome-Trac

you and your FWD Celica are my new idol! hopefully i can get my GTS to look as cool as yours...im some what there but no mods to the engine only outside

Hotrodhendrix

loudstealthGT-Four":nvg3t80w said:
Is that a widebody NON turbo model? I was unaware that there was such a car.

Anyway love your work :D :notworthy:

In the US we only had wide body GTS or coupe/vert GT's. No narrow body hatch version was ever offered in any trim.

~James

UtahSleeper

Hotrodhendrix":2rbbja8u said:
dragstang86":2rbbja8u said:
k.beaty":2rbbja8u said:
Thank you for all the compliments!

Also, The GT is available in a narrow body hatch back...

I don't they were available in the US

Hes in Canada. US never got the narrow hatch back but sounds like Canada did.
~James

I had a narrow body hatchback GT from Cali, so they are here.

Anyway, great car.

Tazka

Really cool! Loving the stance. 8) Oh and what's the et of the front wheel? I see you only wrote et6 for the 8inch wide rear wheel?

k.beaty

Tazka":yrjnjf07 said:
Really cool! Loving the stance. 8) Oh and what's the et of the front wheel? I see you only wrote et6 for the 8inch wide rear wheel?

The wheels are the same size all around, I do have a 10mm spacer up front to clear the caliper though.

CMS-GT4

Cool project. I wish I bought those lower arms and roll center adj.
BTW: My old roommate had a gt hatch, so they are here.

One idea. I know you don't want to do a 3s, but I wonder if you considered swapping a 3sge head onto that 5s block. It might be a low buck way to make some more power. I still think you could run a 3s reliably, but of course its all up to how you feel.