1988 Alltrac - Fiona - Running and doing just fine

UtahSleeper

Also, I am considering getting a known good, used engine from someone locally and just replacing gaskets and such on it and replace the motor. That way I can keep the trac moveable while freshening a motor.

Honestly, I have no real clue what I am going to do yet lol. This is all new to me. I have done basic backyard mechanic stuff, never a motor and that honestly scares me. Have to get big boy tools to even consider this whole thing.

On the oil pressure concerns, is there anything you would suggest to bring the pressure up to see if the loudness on start goes away?

ZeroDrift

I have some experience with what you describe. Done years ago u was helping my younger brother swap a turbo on his ST185 and it sat for a week. Upon startup it had rod knock for the first few seconds until oil pressure stabilized and reached the bearings. The engine was fine and never have us any trouble from then on.

If you have only started it for a few second, the oil system had not yet had a chance to fully circulate.

Hope that helps!

UtahSleeper

I will check it again when I get home. Yesterday I started it a couple times with it doing the same noise. Each time it was left running for a couple minutes and one time I drive it in my driveway to manuever it so I could back into the garage. Guess I will see in a few hours lol.

UtahSleeper

And more bad news for this engine. It now has 3 oil leaks and I tried to drive it with horrible results. No power and alot of stuttering. May try my other ecu, but since the CEL comes on, I think this ECU is fine. This motor may just be at the point of no return with the oil issues and previous rebuild issue.

Redrkt01

Yeah, I think you're looking at a tear down and rebuild. These days I'm at the point that if I pick up an engine or a car from someone the motor will automatically be given new gaskets and seals. Otherwise I get caught up in the kinds of problems you're dealing with.

Word to the wise: don't try to convince your self that there's and easier/cheaper option. I know you want the car running and I know you want it done without a lot of money sunk into it. But you're past that now. Supposing it passes a compression/leakdown test you should go ahead and order the Toyota gasket kit. IIRC it's about $150.

Pull the engine and change all the gaskets. While it is out you should check all the vacuum lines and replace as necessary. You can also check the harness (although I'm thinking you bought a replacement). Replace the injector insulators and o-rings. Replace the fuel filter for good measure.

If you do that then you shouldn't leak air or oil and should have sufficient fuel supply to the engine. Right now you're looking at either investing time or money into the car to make it run. If you don't have money (or don't want to spend it) then I think this is your best option. We already know its leaking oil out the ass.....so just get it over with already and pull it ;)

UtahSleeper

Yea. I am prepared to pull the motor soon-ish. My current plan will be to buy Rob/Luni's mr2 motor off him when he pulls it, freshen it with new HG and seals and run that for awhile while I slow build the spare second gen motor I have.

This is all hypothetical at the moment.

Rick89GTS

Dracov":ux1974c0 said:
.....Oh and I've had the engine just sitting on the east/west mounts before. It's fine, doesn't hurt anything and lets you tilt the engine back and forth if needed
Good info to know for future use. Thanks :D

Redrkt01

Rick89GTS":34c69eio said:
Dracov":34c69eio said:
.....Oh and I've had the engine just sitting on the east/west mounts before. It's fine, doesn't hurt anything and lets you tilt the engine back and forth if needed
Good info to know for future use. Thanks :D

Rick, you don't want to do this for any length of time. I let mine sit of the E/W mounts for too long and they failed. I can take pics if you like....

UtahSleeper

Well, small update.

Over the last month or so I have done the following:
Removed the sunroof and sanded off all the rust spots. All rust was surface, so I sprayed converter after grinding off, primed and painted black. Just rattle can as the car will get a full repaint after Milla(Corolla) has her paint done.

Replaced the fuel filter and tried to investigate what appears to be a heavy PS leak. Believe its my PS pump, but could be rack too. I will investigate it next year as the car is about to get put back together and parked outside under a car cover for the winter. Again, Milla gets the best treatment, so she gets the garage so I can finish installing some bushings, cut springs and maybe install the ebay turbo I have, as well as other little tasks. Trying to milk the last bit of life from her motor before rebuild.

Also, after some reading, I think my wastegate gets stuck open after hitting boost. The few times I have been able to hit boost has been good, but right after there is no boost till after she sits for awhile.

On thge agenda if winter isnt too bad:
Replace the coolant temp sensor.
If driving issues continue, check the AMF/MAF and TPS.
Get some 6th gen celi wheels.
Hopefully next year put together a more trust worthy motor.

Pics of current status to come later, not like much has changed lol.

JohnNK

Please let me know if you happen upon a local motor and you don't plan to buy. I am always looking for a spare on which to work. My ST165 is doing fine as a daily driver but it would be nice to have a backup. Thanks.

UtahSleeper

I will do that. When I get a spare motor I will be trying to sell the one in the car. Still runs, but I think it needs some work since it doesnt have the right oil pressure and it seems like its always starting with no oil for the first couple seconds. So, when the time comes, if interested, I would sell you mine. Thats if you want something to rebuild.

I willl be moving to a second gen motor as the one I might get is a second gen 3s motor, and I have a spare head and block for a second gen I plan to rebuild fully.

UtahSleeper

So, I have a winter project for my trac. I am going to make a fiberglass hood vent over the turbo. The plan will be to make it a bolt on until I get the ambition to try and make a fiberglass hood.

Here is the practice canvas:
001.JPG

The stuff to build/play with:
002.JPG

Ideas. Remember, these pieces will be triangles and connected lol. Just trying to figure out the path I want to take with looks.

Option 1:
003.JPG

Option 2:
004.JPG

Option 3:
005.JPG

Option 4:
007.JPG

Option 5:
008.JPG

Option 6:
009.JPG

UtahSleeper

Well, small update.

-I have made to skeletons for a vent and screwed both up lol. Need to find a better way to make the base.
-She developed a rod or something knock when I was trying to troubleshoot her rev issue. She is officially parked till I get a different motor to put in her.
-For xmas I got an engine stand and hoist. That will help with the above.
-Also got some 15" steelies off a camry, so just need to find some cheap tires to throw on her for now, then I can sell the bling rims.

I hope to be able to bring her back into the garage in March/April. I am hoping that is when the snow will go away and I will be willing to park the Corolla outside.

UtahSleeper

Option 1, just a little wider. I like the overall look when the shaping was going on and think it will look good when done.

UtahSleeper

Well, this is a small update for Fiona.

Plans for this upcoming year are a motor and paint. I may try and Megasquirt the motor and if I do I will replace the dashboard with a tablet and make the gauge cluster with Tunerstudio. Also, speakers in the doors and a new setup for the rear, maybe behind the panels in the backseat area like so many other cars have.

So, on the immediate shit.

First, this is the idea I am currently going with for the vent. Opinions?
004.JPG

Second, for Xmas I got an engine hoist and stand :) Should make rreplacing the motor possible later........when I assemble it.
005.JPG

Third, here are the steelies I got for her. 15's, which will make snow tires prices more manageable.
006.JPG

And last, her sad state. She is regulated to the snow till the weather dries up and I can park my Corolla outside.
008.JPG

UtahSleeper

Well, time for a small update as I am prepping to try my first rebuild/build/whatever on an engine.

To start, here is the vent I am working on. Still needs alot of trimming, sanding and brainstorming for mounting. Right now I am waiting for all the FG resin to cure.
001.JPG

Here she sits, looking all sexy, still waiting for her turn.
003.JPG

So, to start. I picked up an old 3sge in trade for a blown MR2 motor. The vague story on this motor is it has been sitting for 2 decades-ish. The PO said the swapped a GTE head on it for performance. Judging by the shape of the head and block, he never tried it.

The head looks great, but I imagine the rust is not good lol.
004.JPG

Judging by the channels, I think this is a GTE head.
005.JPG

This is the block. The outside is really clean. When I flipped it upside down it seemed alot of dried out debri/rust bits fell out.
006.JPG

And judging by this, the guy swapped the head, but didn't bother cleaning much up. The story I heard is this motor was low mileage. I imagine I have no real way to tell.
007.JPG

So, my next step is to take more apart and see what the condition is. I would like to limit my costs as I want to just get the motor road worthy and not have leaks. While rebuilding I hope to gather the bits to go MS3.

UtahSleeper

So, I took the oil pan off and this is what I found.

001.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

So, mostly looks like surface rust. There appears to also be no movement of the connecting rods, so I am assuming this may mean I am okay to remove, have shit cleaned, and reassemble. Is this correct?

jaydog82

ya you should be ok, make sure you check the rod gernals and crank for scoring also remember what piston went were and if you remove the crank stand it on end or leave it in the block for storage.