88' Celica Alltrac refresh

Curry

I decided to post up my project that we've been working on for the past two weeks. We still have not had a chance to get the motor going because of a bad fuel line, which should be repaired today.

2012-05-01_14-56-53_60.jpg

2012-05-01_14-34-23_335.jpg

After getting the car home we went to town and started removing the gas tank so we could change the pump.
Bracket and all was rusted so we soaked the tank in vinegar overnight while we rebuilt the pump assembly with SS line, AN fittings and a new pump.

Original bracket rusted to hell with broken lines:

2012-05-07_15-44-47_251.jpg

Complete bracket:

2012-05-07_16-47-29_112.jpg

2012-05-07_22-23-20_541.jpg

Once we had all that done we moved on the finish the tank cleaning. After the vinegar soak It was washed with a high pressure hose until the water coming out was crystal clear. We then used some phosphoric acid to further remove and loosen rust. Washed it again for about an hour, rinsed with gasoline twice and allowed the surface of the tank to dry before coating it.

Before:
2012-05-10_13-10-33_535.jpg

After:
2012-05-10_13-57-59_162.jpg

Curry

We connected the AN adapter to the hard line everything was all set but we found another big leak in the line. We decided to remove a majority of the line and replace it with SS line.

2012-05-11_14-48-19_97.jpg

Since we cant reuse the adapter we're going to flare the line and use two fuel injection clamps to connect the SS line with the hardline. If for some reason we need to raise fuel pressure later one ill probably change the entire line to an SS line going to an aftermarket fuel filter.

88gt4DE

Very nice work on the fuel pump bracket. Sucks but really theres no other choices left since you cant get that part anymore ( you prol know that already anyway ) Tank looks great too , I was gonna recommend to coat it and then I saw the last picture :D Keep up the good work 8)

Curry

Thank you! Yea the bracket rebuild wasn't as hard as I imagined it and it got done pretty fast.

88gt4DE

Curry":z3619rz2 said:
East Coast, NYC.

Nice 8) Hope you can make it to one of our meets sometime ... the 165's seem to be far and few between anymore .... watch the northeast section for meets and hope to see ya in person sometime :)

GT4times2

Is that the one from Rosedale that was for sale recently? A friend of mine went to look at it. Looking good!! What are your plans for her?

Curry

Yep thats the one from rosedale lol. My main objective is to get this motor to run first and get it cleaned up.

Curry

Didnt get to do the fuel line today but i did start pulling the motor apart to clean and replace stuff. Flushed out the intercooler as well. Pics of how dirty:

2012-05-13_14-15-54_606.jpg

2012-05-13_14-15-39_609.jpg

Curry

Just got in my order of silicone hoses, silicone vac line and T-Bolt clamps. Probably wont have any time to wrench this week. :cry:

Curry

Finally had time to work on the car today. Fuel leak was finally fixed and the car finally started. At first we had to mash the gas pedal several times, the car would stumble and run a little and die. Just a note we put super gas (93) and mixed in some seafoam in the tank as well.

We changed over as many vac lines as we could, tightened up loose hoses and tried again, we revved a little higher and it started to sound better.

Changed the oil again, this time the car started like a normal (did not need to mash the gas 50 times) car in the video below you can hear what i mean. Revs smoothly and it finally idles!!!!

It idles rough as shit @ around 1k but I think that might be a leak around the intercooler area.

So I guess next would be to fix that and then start changing gaskets since its leaking oil from somewhere. Then I have to replace that stupid rusted brake line that is leaking.

Heres the video of the start up and run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkSg1vJ7MFo

good job with your fuel line restore project.

I would recommend looking in to the the the type of line you used. The line you chose might not be fuel compatable. After a few year it will degrade and end up with a leak that would not be good and hard to diagnose if it were in the tank.

just my .02 cents

Curry

Thanks guys!

The fuel line that I used from the tank to the hard line is from jegs and is rated for fuels. This is the hose I used.

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance- ... 8/10002/-1

The line that I used inside the tank is rated to be used as such. I believe its aeroquip? I can't remember. My friend tells me its the same line they use in the aircraft fuel systems he repairs.

Curry

Waiting on some brake lines to come in and a few parts from the dealer. While that was going on I pulled apart the valve cover to start the cleaning and remove the old gaskets and what not.

On another note I don't think my coolant temperature sensor looks like its working since the gauge did not budge when we had the car running for a while. Any ideas?

2012-05-30_22-18-03_820.jpg

2012-05-30_22-17-37_608.jpg

2012-05-28_18-34-53_980.jpg

2012-05-28_18-09-30_739.jpg

Curry

Does anyone have suggestions as far as why else the car would idle roughly? I want to put together a quick list of things to check when I work on the car.

I already have vacuum leak on my list

Also when the engine is cold I have to tap the gas pedal a few times before it starts. Once its warm it will start normally or I may have to tap the gas once or twice. Ideas on this? I saw this issue in the faq but it doesnt look like it was resolved...

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=28087

88gt4DE

He had to of resolved it because I've seen that car in person and it doesnt have that problem now. That was back in 08 before I even met him in person .... if you have to push gas down sound like air supply might be incorrect . Have you checked yer air flow meter ? Sometime the spring inside that controls the little door breaks ...

Curry

I'm going to give that a look to see if I see anything. Honestly that is the one part of the car I haven't really given any attention to as yet. Still waiting on my gaskets to come so I can put my valve cover back together. They should be here tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the info!