ST165 Daily Beater Project

Curry

jspeedrifter":2c9fdzz4 said:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any photos of ST165's with a roof rack for bikes? I think it would look really cool and it would help me drag my bike around :).

If anyone out there has anything, let me know. Thanks for looking at this little build thread!

I was trying to put the one from my WRX on but the feet were not correct. My friend has one for me that may fit so when I go pick it up ill post pics if it fits.

jspeedrifter

I actually have three of the metal coolant overflow tanks. I'm putting together a list of parts that I'll have for sale once the grey one is running. I'm hoping there are some parts that people want!

Thanks for the link ZeroDrift!

jspeedrifter

Hey guys! I went up and put in a little time on the car this past Saturday. It's now at my brother's house and he's been working on it a little bit. The vacuum hoses are all sorted out, the throttle body is all put back together, I threw the stock downpipe on for now, and go the coolant overflow, radiator and alternator on there. It's getting close!

Here's and engine shot as it gets closer (don't mind my brother's arm):

IMAG0101_BURST003.jpg

I have a few extra parts too:
IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg

I'm going to throw the stock intercooler on it to drive it the 120 miles home, and the JDM one has some fun little stickers on it:
IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

I also went shopping in the PO's garage and scored some goodies for really cheap! He's a good friend of mine and has had more than a few projects, so he has a lot of spare parts laying around:

IMAG0107.jpg

They're barely used and in perfect shape. All of the parts are there too :). I also found an old Pivot RHU-M Lazy Eye kit from my old 240sx, so I might throw that on there too.

We have to throw the driveshaft, the battery, and power steering on there before it's ready to fire up. There are a few sensors that are questionable, but I just want to fire it up and work from there. The sooner I can get it home, the sooner I can fab up my front mount and downpipe.

Any suggestions you guys might have for me are greatly appreciated! I have some parts from Toyota coming tomorrow ( a friend works there and gives me cost on all my parts) so hopefully it will be moving on its own within a week or two.

Thanks for looking!

jspeedrifter

Hey guys! I need a little guidance here if anyone has an insight on the ignition. I'm not getting any spark. I've tried two sets of plug wires, distributer caps, and coils, but still nothing. Everything else in the car works and turns on, but no spark.

Any suggestions?

On the other hand, the motor turns over nicely and appears to have good compression. I'm just hoping I can figure out what's up with the spark and hear it run. Any advice you guys have is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

UtahSleeper

The ECU may be toast. You can pull the ECU from the other trac and test. Normally the CEL will come on when the key first is turned to ON.

jspeedrifter

Alright, ECU from the other car and a replaced relay = SPARK :). No fuel though, but I'm pretty sure the car is completely out of gas. Going to throw some gas in it and see if it fires up. My brother couldn't hear the fuel pump kick on, so hopefully that's not an issue, but we'll see.

What sort of boost levels are you guys running? This has a stock turbo, with stock fuel delivery (i.e. injectors, fuel rail, and fuel pump), but it does have ARP head studs and a fresh thick head gasket. I don't know what factory is, but I want to be conservative with the boost level. This thing isn't going to be a racecar :).

Thanks for all of the input! I'm going to have a lot of questions on how to fix different CEL issues once it's on the road, so I hope you guys are patient with me!

jspeedrifter

I have a Blitz electronic boost controller that's hooked up right now. I'm just not sure what to set it at for daily driving. I'd be surprised if that turbo could put out much pressure for too long, but I was hoping for more than 6 psi ;)

jspeedrifter

UtahSleeper":1yyc5xhy said:
Honestly, I wouldnt go much over 7 or 8 till you see how she handles running right now :)

Right on! That's good advice :). I'll set it in that area and see how it does. I'm going to run the water-to-air intercooler until I get some bugs worked out. I'm getting my parts together for the FMIC project, but I'm thinking I might do some electric fans and an aluminum radiator when I do the FMIC. I don't really like the idea of taking all that apart to do the front mount and then putting all of the stock parts back in it.

What are you guys doing for suspension on ST165s? It doesn't seem like there are a lot of parts available...

Thanks for all of the input!!

jspeedrifter

Hey guys! Little update for you:

It fires up and runs pretty well. It sounds pretty mean when you rev it up a little bit, but the idle is still a little rocky. It sounds like there is a little vacuum leak from the throttle body, so we'll be throwing another one on soon with a fresh gasket and hopefully that will fix that problem. The driveshaft is in and both crossmembers are in.

I've started gathering parts for the FMIC project as well. I ordered an HKS SSQV BOV and some U-Bends, so all I need now are some couplers, t clamps and the front mount. Hopefully I'll have that done within a few weeks. I plan on building a DP at that time too, but we'll see if that gets done :).

I'm pretty excited to drive it and winter is right around the corner. Should be some fun snow drifting!!

jspeedrifter

I think I scored a set of Enkei RPF1's for this little beater :). I'm not sure how they'll fit, but I'm going to make them work somehow. The size is 17x7.5, 48mm offset with 6.10" of backspacing. They have 215-14-17 tires on them right now, so hopefully they won't take too much effort to get them on there. I'm thinking I'll have to put a little spacer in there, but I got a great deal so I couldn't pass them up.

Any thoughts on fitment?