ST165 Daily Beater Project

phattyduck

WRX offset! Those will fit great with a 10mm or 15mm spacer all around. Maybe a bit more on the rear if you want it a little more flush back there.

-Charlie

jspeedrifter

phattyduck":1q5ky3mz said:
WRX offset! Those will fit great with a 10mm or 15mm spacer all around. Maybe a bit more on the rear if you want it a little more flush back there.

-Charlie

Right on!! Thank you! I'll order some spacers before I throw them on there. I'm pretty stoked because I wasn't looking forward to putting tires on the stock wheels. I don't think they look so good :).

Here's a pic I snapped in my garage of the new shoes:

IMAG0140.jpg

Tires are a bit big for my liking, but I'm sure they'll ride nicely. The guy threw in new hub-centric rings and lugs too! All that's left now is to finish bleeding the clutch (which is proving to be a major PITA) and to source the vacuum leak that's making it idle rough. Not thoroughly worried about the vac leak though.

I'll post some more photos soon. Thanks for everyone taking a look at my little build thread!

jspeedrifter

Hello everyone!

A quick update today. It's running pretty well, but still seems like there is a vacuum leak somewhere because the idle is rough. The downpipe is the factory one, but from there back is 2.5" through a flex pipe and resonator before it hits a universal muffler. It sounds pretty mean, but it is only tacked together so it's not finished yet.

The suspension is swapped over from the red car. It had Eibach Sportline springs, but I'm not sure what struts it has. They're different from the factory ones, so hopefully they're alright. My brother swapped the whole front passenger side hub, control arm, and rotor because pretty much everything was bad on the grey car. The caliper was seized as well. After a TON of work, the brakes are done and he threw some spare 17" gunmetal wheels on it for me. I totally dig the way it looks, but I forgot to take a picture, so he had to text me one. Here's the only shot I have:

IMG950141.jpg

The clutch won't bleed out, so I ordered a new clutch mater cylinder and slave cylinder, so hopefully that cures it. They should be in next week, so we'll see. Other than that, all is well! Thanks for taking a look at my little build :).

Cheers!

jspeedrifter

Hey guys! My brother got it out of the garage and took it around the block. Alternator isn't charging, brakes need to be bled and clutch needs to be bled. Also, it felt like the timing was off because it wouldn't run all that well. He did snap a quick photo though, so here you go:

IMG950153_zpsab3e9db7.jpg

Hoping to bring it home next weekend! Cheers

Awesome-Trac

I remember a guy in the norcal who had the same two tone color Alltrac as you but I highly doubt this is the sameone, still a unique color tho. I wonder if this was a special order type color?

jspeedrifter

I'm pretty sure it's just faded, not two toned. There are more spots that match than spots that same two toned. It could definitely use some tlc on the exterior.

Slight update: it turns out the timing is a little off. It was really struggling to get moving, so the timing covers came off and sure enough, it looks like its a couple teeth off on the timing. Hopefully we will have it straightened out by the weekend, but we'll see.

Thanks for the comments guys! I'll try to get some better photos in the daylight soon!

jspeedrifter

Hey guys! I got up to the shop this weekend and put in some hours on the little car. It's running and driving, but not running that well. It has a really high idle (around 1300-1500) but it's steady. The biggest problem is that it has a stutter when you hit the gas. If you rev it up slowly, it is smooth, but if you try to punch it, it falls on it's face. That made it really tough to drive!!

The turbo spools nicely and it's set to the factory settings. I've replaced the spark plugs, wires, and distributer cap. The timing is dead on as well. My brother and I replaced the O rings for the injectors and they are all fresh and clean. It has great oil pressure and the temperature is perfect.

I'm not sure what to check next, but I'm going to order a fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator. It feels like a fuel issue and when we pulled the plugs to replace them, they were pretty white. That means it's running lean, right?

Any thoughts? I'd love to fix the idle and I definitely need to figure out that stutter. On a more fun note, I did weld up my exhaust, mounted and welded my HKS SSQV. It sounds nice and loud (which may get annoying, but it's fun for now).

Here's a quick engine bay photo:

IMAG0161.jpg

Everything on the inside works, aside from the passenger window. Even the cruise works! My parts car has leather interior, with the leather door panels and stuff, so I started swapping that over too. It's coming along alright, but I'm a little bummed about the way it runs. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks for checking out my little build!

phattyduck

Check carefully for vacuum leaks. I'm also assuming that the timing (mechanical and ignition) are set correctly...

-Charlie

jspeedrifter

phattyduck":1chkj78y said:
Check carefully for vacuum leaks. I'm also assuming that the timing (mechanical and ignition) are set correctly...

-Charlie

The timing is dead on, both ignition and mechanical. I checked that over and over because there were some issues with it before, so we cleaned that one up. I don't think there are any major vacuum leaks. One of the injectors had a bad O ring and that was creating a vacuum leak, but that's straightened out now.

Is there any adjustment on the throttle body or anywhere else to mechanically adjust the idle?

jspeedrifter

underscore":e4n78ty2 said:
try disconnecting the BOV

Both issues were present before the BOV installation. It didn't affect the car at all. It does sound really mean though and I like that a lot :)

88gt4DE

jspeedrifter":1iimimir said:
underscore":1iimimir said:

Both issues were present before the BOV installation. It didn't affect the car at all. It does sound really mean though and I like that a lot :)

I have the same BOV , I know what ya mean ... scares the hell out of people sometimes !! LOL

jspeedrifter

88gt4DE":1piux306 said:
jspeedrifter":1piux306 said:
underscore":1piux306 said:

I have the same BOV , I know what ya mean ... scares the hell out of people sometimes !! LOL

It really is fun! I had a Greddy Type S on my 240sx (with an sr20det) and I always thought the whistle was cool at the end. The HKS is a really clean sound, so I'm definitely pleased with it. Now, if I could just get a couple issues ironed out and drive the car, that would be great!

jspeedrifter

Hey guys! I'm really stuck here! This high idle thing is really driving me nuts. I haven't driven the car any major distance yet, but I'm at a loss. My brother and I have used starter fluid and propane to check for vacuum leaks and we can't find any.

Is there a manual adjustment on the throttle body or anything to adjust the idle? What should I check next? Any help here is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

jaydog82

Yes there is an idle idjustment screw on the tb, but I would check other possibiltys first. Have you tried swaping out the maf? What about the other sensors did you get them sorted out? Did the car have egr before, did you block it off?

jspeedrifter

jaydog82":34xh4tvi said:
Yes there is an idle idjustment screw on the tb, but I would check other possibiltys first. Have you tried swaping out the maf? What about the other sensors did you get them sorted out? Did the car have egr before, did you block it off?

Thanks for the reply! I haven't swapped out the MAF yet, but I have another one to try. The EGR should be all blocked off as well. I'm hoping the MAF fixes it, but I'm not counting on that for sure. I saw something on the bottom of the throttle body that looked like an adjuster, but I wanted to make sure that's what it was before I started messing with it. I changed the throttle body last week and it was the same, so I don't know.

It should have a new fuel filter on it in the next few days, so hopefully that fixes the stutter issue. Thanks for the feedback!

jspeedrifter

Hey guys!

Quick update: My brother took the gauge cluster apart and replaced the check engine bulb, and sure enough, it came back on. He checked the codes and it only returned two: one for the intercooler (no coolant in it yet) and one for the knock sensor. He went digging for the knock sensor and found the wires going to the connector frayed and not making any connection.

When he went to the parts car to take a look, he found the wiring to have already been replaced with a shielded wire from some sort of kit. He rebuilt the plug and put it together on the grey one and cleared the code. It still idles a little high, but no more code, no more missing, and no more stuttering!

I think the last thing to do before I head up to get it this weekend is to fill the transmission with fluid. It apparently was pretty much empty and making tons of noise when he drove it around the block. Hoping it's only low on fluid and not messed up :).

Alright, that's all I have at the moment. Thanks for looking!

jspeedrifter

Hey all!

So I went up to Fort Wayne and picked up the car this past weekend and put a quick 150 miles on it. The idle is still around 1400, but I think it is probably a problem with the TPS. It cruised down the highway at 75 mph and did great :).

When I got home, I test-fitted the wheels. It definitely needs spacers in the rear because they rub pretty badly. I ordered some 5 mm spacers to see if they'll help. I know I need more, but I don't want to extend the lugs yet. Here's a quick photo of the test fit:

IMAG0189.jpg

IMAG0186.jpg

I also snapped a couple photos while I was swapping the rear seats out of the parts car:

IMAG0182.jpg

IMAG0181.jpg

There is still a lot to finish, but it's good to get it on the road. The knock sensor trips every now and then at start-up, but it never stays on. I'm really happy with the way that it runs and drives! The exhaust sounds great and it pulls pretty hard in the first 3 gears, but the highway pulls leaves a lot to be desired.

Next on the to-do list: swap heater controls, install stereo/speakers, install boost controller/turbo timer, and recover the front leather seats. Definitely a long list, but it's getting there!

Cheers!

88gt4DE

MY idle it stuck at 1500 ... most likely and bad IAC valve. I unplugged mine for now and if yer not too snappy with the throttle it will keep running. Fast on and off and it may stall. I have seen other people post issues with the ecu causing it ... I havent dug deeper yet ...