'88 AllTrac (White-Blue)

RallyMax165

I bought this thing with a U-haul trailer in Reno in March 2012, in non-running condition. Ever since then it has grown on me more as I spend time tinkering around to get it running strong again. It started and was burning a bunch of oil out the pipe and smoking under the hood as well.
Here are some pics of the car.
I towed it onto a trailer with my '87 Audi 5000S quattro and headed for the hills.
[album]291[/album]
I am stoked on this thing for sure. '80s rally coupe. Rad.
[album]292[/album]
Raised in a barn.
[album]290[/album]
Finally in my wavy driveway.
[album]556[/album]
Front bumper and grill all need a proper mounting. Mock up.
[album]555[/album]
It's pretty clean.
[album]554[/album]
Ready to fire it up.
[album]558[/album]
Spitting crude.
[album]559[/album]

RallyMax165

I have to build an intake for it, because the stock one is all deteriorated and leaking all the way around. The RPMs would climb every time it started because the leak was after the AFM. To keep it running, I had to shut the key off and let the RPMs come down and turn it back on before it died. The intake needs fixed before I can let her run steady and figure out what is leaking oil, how much, and from where... I have a sneaking suspision that I will be ordering a new turbo soon though.
In this picture, you can see the deterioration of the intake hose right before the compressor inlet.
[album]601[/album]

88gt4DE

Yes , thats bad for sure. I'm in the middle of an intake project now. Its a little more than just pipe and a filter though ... Finished product is on my brothers project thread ( 97jza80 ) Mine is still in progress but will prol be done end of march ... Theres alot of ways you can do it obviously so you just have to decide what works for you. 8)

MWP

RallyMax165":32ncu9w0 said:
The RPMs would climb every time it started because the leak was after the AFM....

Negative.
The leak would have to be after the throttle body (the inlet manifold) to cause that.

underscore

MWP":3lgqoq79 said:
RallyMax165":3lgqoq79 said:
The RPMs would climb every time it started because the leak was after the AFM....

Negative.
The leak would have to be after the throttle body (the inlet manifold) to cause that.

Agreed, I had a massive leak right at the turbo and the RPM's never climbed.

RallyMax165

Interesting, I'll have to investigate under the hood some more. A full intake inspection sounds in order.
However I did just get one of these
[album]602[/album]
3" passages and a couple feet of pose able ducting. (Think Snorkel)
[album]603[/album]

RallyMax165

It's hard to see if the head-manifold gasket is in good shape, but the post intercooler fitting is compromised. That one rubber piece that bolts to the throttle body. The car had recently received a different used throttle body before I acquired it, so that makes me slightly curious about the condition of the whole intake to warrant a replacement. It will all get sorted out soon enough. I removed the intercooler, plan to de-grease along with cleaning out every intake component I cannot readily replace. Then it might be time for new gaskets.

Anyone have any advice on what it would be, rather than what it isn't?

RallyMax165

Yes, I was asking about the RPM climbing issue. I did get a VDO vac/boost gauge, and plan on installing it soon. I have not done a boost leak check. What is a good way to do that? This is the very first turbo car I have ever worked on, so I have a lot to learn, you might say...

underscore

Here's the DIY version of the easy method http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... eak-Tester

You can buy testers, but you'd probably have to order it online which would take time. This basically allows you to pressurize the system with the engine off, allowing you to listen to leaks and then confirm them. The important thing is to use a low pressure level, don't go dumping 50 psi into your system.

RallyMax165

I don't think I do have access to the higher end equipment. I have a portable air tank though and could pressurize that to say 20psi or so. Thanks for the idea/tip!

That thread is pretty awesome too.

RallyMax165

It will climb up to 7k and then i'll turn off the ignition at that point. And no I haven't checked the TPS, do you know what (resistance?) it puts out in good working order? I have a cheap multi-meter but would be curious to check that out.

underscore

RallyMax165":rd7f479r said:
I don't think I do have access to the higher end equipment. I have a portable air tank though and could pressurize that to say 20psi or so. Thanks for the idea/tip!

That thread is pretty awesome too.

You should only need like 5psi to easily find leaks.