92 ST185 E85 project

kilt88

Thanks. When I still ran 185 Performance, I was a dealer for Stillen, and they had the DBA relationship.

phattyduck

ALLensTRAC":qzxtjhxs said:
Those 205 brakes turned out nice! Where did you source the DBA discs from?
I was gonna ask that same question! Sounds like they are still difficult to find (if DBA even makes them anymore?). Really, I'd just like a set of OEM quality (and blank) rear ST205 rotors...

-Charlie

ALLensTRAC

phattyduck":55vtjrcl said:
ALLensTRAC":55vtjrcl said:
Those 205 brakes turned out nice! Where did you source the DBA discs from?
I was gonna ask that same question! Sounds like they are still difficult to find (if DBA even makes them anymore?). Really, I'd just like a set of OEM quality (and blank) rear ST205 rotors...

-Charlie

Not to thread jack but you can get them on eBay Australia. Shipping kind of sucks and DBA is no longer making them. Here is a set for 300 shipped although not DBA they're blanks.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140684838515

kilt88

I test fit the transmission today and found one more spot to grind down. So back off with the transmission to prep for paint.

Here are the freeze plus installed.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1400462410483.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1400462410483.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 3,320

kilt88

Over the last couple of days, I added two more coats of paint. The paint is now dry, & I have begun engine assembly.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401569266160.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401569266160.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 3,271
  • uploadfromtaptalk1401569293456.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401569293456.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 3,271

kilt88

More done.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401601986331.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401601986331.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 3,257
  • uploadfromtaptalk1401601999226.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401601999226.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 3,257

kilt88

More progress on the engine today.

I got the oil pickup baffle modded (bent) so the Moroso oil pan would clear it. The pan is now mounted, oil and water pumps are on, and the timing belt and covers are on.

fun fun!

pics...

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

kilt88

More progress tonight. Got the ATS fuel rail and ID2000 injectors installed, as well as the PS pump.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

kilt88

Does anyone offhand know the size and thread pitch of this water fitting I pulled out of the 5s block intake side?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401857241154.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401857241154.jpg
    768.7 KB · Views: 3,211

kilt88

kilt88":1wkzihgo said:
Does anyone offhand know the size and thread pitch of this water fitting I pulled out of the 5s block intake side?
It's the water drain cock. On the 3s, it's just a basic plug, but I guess the 5s put a valve and port on it. Threads look the same.

kilt88

Found out it's 1/4" BPT. So I tapped it to 1/4" NPT. I found and bought a 5S oil cooler today, too. slow progres....

kilt88

Thanks everyone. I'm mating the engine and transmission today. I had to run out to get some loctite for the fw bolts, and soon the fun will begin.

After I get the transmission on, I'll have to drill and tap the holes for the right side transmission support.

Here is a pic of the fw in place.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1402266490827.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1402266490827.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 3,020

kilt88

So more progress -- and full size pictures this time.

Here's the clutch I'm using. It's a Clutch Masters twin disc with a steel flywheel. This isn't a dedicated race car, and I'll be sitting in some traffic regularly. So yes, a heavy flywheel.
main.php

The flywheel put in place. I used OE Toyota 5S flywheel bolts. They fit perfectly. Yes, I used all 8 -- I just don't have a [clear] picture of it.
main.php

Here's the whole clutch
main.php

Clutch bolted to the flywheel
main.php

See the two discs
main.php

This has got to be my least favorite part of all this .... getting the transmission mated to the engine. I fought with it for about 1.5 hrs. But I had to be careful -- this time, there's a shiny Moroso oil pan that cannot be scratched. So I finally punted and pulled it apart, and shoved the clutch alignment tool back in. Ugh --- it wouldn't slide past the first of the two discs. So I loosened up the clutch cover, re-aligned everything, and tried again. Then it went together like butter ... well, almost like butter ... you know how this process goes. I really should have learned by now, and tried MWP's missile silo method.

Here it is, bolted together. That's enough for today.
main.php

main.php

My drill bit and tap arrive from Fastenal tomorrow, so I can mount the RHS transmission support to the block. Hopefully I'll be mounting this in the car tomorrow night.

Time for tonight's GOT episode -- if I can keep my eyes open.

kilt88

I also picked up a gasket set at Autozone for my A/C lines today. I hope I can remember how all those lines go back together. I'm really going to need A/C in Atlanta. ugh...

CSAlltrac

Got clutch?! Shouldn't ever have to worry about running out of flywheel grab. The missile silo method is the only way to go. Little bit more setup time and caution to be given as to not break anything like the timing cover but well worth it in the end. Keep it up man!

kilt88

Ooh exciting day! The engine is back in the car. CVs are in, front brakes are on, propeller shaft is on, and the clutch is bled (and yes, the pedal feel is awesome with this CM twin disc).

main.php

main.php