92 ST185 E85 project

kilt88

I'm redoing my 92 st185. It's been sitting since Oct 2005, when I damaged the engine. Here's what happened...

Clearly, I was running WAY too much overall timing advance, due to a misgrinding issue on my distributor for the Autronic SMC installation I had done. I only discovered this was the cause about a week ago.

All the pistons show signs of meltdown on top, and piston #1 finally let a chunk fly loose. That, in turn, caused a section of ring to break free, which then was sandwich pounded between the piston top and the head a few times, then went on its merry way past the valves (I think -- I'm still looking for all the pieces).

3s cyl 1
main.php

main.php

3s cyl 2
main.php

3s cyl 3
main.php

3s cyl 4
main.php

3s head chamber 1 -- see the melted aluminum stuck to the exhaust valves, and the grooves from the pounding of the ring chunk.
main.php

On my 3s block, everything was OE stock -- crank, rods, bearings, pistons, etc -- except the pistons had been dished down a bit to reduce CR. I had purchased that shortblock new from Toyota.

The 3s has some small grooves in the bores now, so I'll be selling it, with the understanding that the buyer will need to overbore a bit to use it safely. I also still need to pull off the oil pan and look down there.

I pulled the engine a couple of weeks ago.
main.php

So I was finally convinced I need to build a 5S-GTE, stroked to 2.3L, to run on E85.

Last Fall I found a 98 Camry 5s block down in Colorado Springs. Whoa, it was rough. Here it is after significant time with the wire brush wheel.
main.php

My engine builder (recommended by slownrusty, if any of you know him from the old AE86 crowd) has completed the initial boring of the block. ATS Racing ground the crank, and my engine guy will be balancing everything, line boring the cylinders after the ARP mains go in, modifying the oil pan for the ARPs, etc.

Here's the 5s as it looks now -- he's not done with it yet.
main.php

main.php

And the stroked 5s crank.
main.php

So here's the plan and parts list:
5s-gte
5s from a 98 Camry, with stronger walls near water pump
5s balance shafts removed, oil feed plugged
Stroked to 2.3L
Pauter rods
Wiseco 8.5:1 pistons with heavy duty options (skirts, pins)
ACL bearings
ARP main bolts
L19 head studs
ATS HG
Moroso oil pan
5s high flow oil pump with crank angle sensor
Caldina 3s timing gear pulley with crank angle teeth modified for Autronic SMC (maybe, if I can avoid ordering from Japan)

Gen 2 3sgte head is being repaired, cleaned, etc. Already has Ferrea SS valves, Chevy 361 inner valve springs, extensive porting.

ID2000 injectors
ATS fuel rail
Fuelab pump, switched by Autronic for low and full speed modes based on load/rpm
Fuelab filter
-8 fuel line from pump
OE fuel feed and return lines used simultaneously for fuel return

Twin waste spark setup with Bosch ignition modules
Mitsu or Bosch dual-ended coils

PT 6266 dual BB turbo (probably)
GReddy T67 ex manifold (probably), tungsten coated
PT 46mm wastegate (probably)
ATS downpipe
Aussie midpipe
Aussie catback, resonator removed

Clutch -- I just can't decide

Ron Davis alum radiator

FMIC -- who knows

Suspension is already Tein HA, Whiteline, SuperPro

AP Racing 4-piston front brakes, custom brackets
ST205 rear brakes
Factory p-valve removed, adjustable p-valve used instead

AND ... I'm adding f'in AIR CONDITIONING back into this car. Colorado just gets too hot sometimes.

I may just run my old stock T04E/46 turbo setup for now, just to get it running and to spread out the cost of all the new parts over a few months. Ya, the bottom end build-up is WAY overkill for the CFM the factory turbo is [in]capable of flowing, but hey, maybe I can prove a few things first.

I gotta publicly thank Scott at ATS Racing for all the support during this project. He's supplied many of the parts and has given a ton of advice based on their experiences setting up E85 cars. I highly recommend working with them!

So, I'll try to document it all here.

Toyota_Todd

Good to see you still have the car after all these years. I still have the Fuel supply parts that I bought from you, hopefully I will get my project together this year. Your parts list looks great, good luck on the build Josh.

kilt88

Thanks, guys, it should be fun.

I'm looking for someone near Denver who can do customer IC pipework for me, if I go with a Treadstone setup. Unless someone is making a FMIC kit these days -- doubt it.

Todd, I don't even remember what fuel parts I sold you. haha...

yota 3.0

Cool project!

Can i ask why you want to run 8.5:1 if this is only going to see E85? I can understand 8.5 comp if you were doing a 91 octane tune as well.

~james

kilt88

yota 3.0":2hsac0st said:
Cool project!

Can i ask why you want to run 8.5:1 if this is only going to see E85? I can understand 8.5 comp if you were doing a 91 octane tune as well.

~james
Because I want it both ways. I want to be able to run pump gas if I have to, and still make decent (safe) power, but with E85, I'll run massive boost to reach my power goals.

kilt88

Small update...

I found all the parts I need at the local scrap yard from a 92 GT yesterday, to put A/C back in! And from a car that hadn't been converted to R134a. yay!

And I picked up a used Precision intercooler as well, to run with for now.

kilt88

I worked on the st205 rear calipers last night and today some. This set came courtesy of Stephen Gillies in the UK, back in 2005, IIRC.

Anyway, I'm grinding them down to bare metal in preparation for paint. I have one caliper mostly prepped.

I'll be painting them black with "Celica" in yellow. This way, they'll match my front AP calipers.

Here are pics, showing prepped and still-dirty:

main.php

main.php

kilt88

When I pulled these apart, I discovered that one of the calipers was missing a gasket between the two halves.

The EPC doesn't even show this part, so I have no idea what its part number is. Does anyone know?

Here is a picture of the locations of the two gaskets:
main.php

And here is what the gaskets look like:
main.php

underscore

Nice work on those calipers! Why are you wanting an AC system that's still set up for the old stuff that you can't get?

kilt88

underscore":fy9dwhvz said:
Nice work on those calipers! Why are you wanting an AC system that's still set up for the old stuff that you can't get?

I'm trying to figure out a way to gind down in the recesses, to get down to bare aluminum. Maybe I can find something for my Dremel.

R12 > R134a! And I can still get it. "They" just don't make it anymore.

kilt88

I test fit the calipers tonight, before I rebuild and paint them. Like others, I had to roll the rotor guard lip back a bit, and then the rotor clears everything just fine.

This is going to be SOOOOO worth the effort.

So, first, here's the stock setup. haha
main.php

Here's the caliper mounted.
main.php

main.php

main.php

And the caliper with the DBA vented/slotted/plated rotor.
main.php

Here you can also see the Porterfield R4-S pads.
main.php

And finally, with the wheel on.
main.php

main.php

main.php

kilt88

AlltracAvenger":3s0uo1gj said:
Bumping just to subscribe. It's awesome you've kept the '185 after it sitting around for so long. Any progress to report?
Yep. I have the engine block and head back. I need to test fit it to the tranny, and grind a rib or two or three off, then paint the block after that.

I'm trying to get pumps ordered, oil cooling sorted, etc.