The White '88 Alltrac Camry 3S-GE BEAMS swap

I just fired up my 215 swap for the first time I am so happy!!! Time to revive the swapped Camry thread! I would make my own but I never keep up on that kinda thing. lol

phattyduck

CTechBlueDragon":1yqyfspl said:
I just fired up my 215 swap for the first time I am so happy!!! Time to revive the swapped Camry thread! I would make my own but I never keep up on that kinda thing. lol
I've been pretty bad at keeping things updated recently too - The car has been smogged. Tomorrow morning, I'll be getting a VIN problem fixed and hopefully it will be actually be legal to drive on the streets. Gotta love it when the title has a VIN that doesn't match the car - but the car isn't legal to drive on the street to go get updated/verified because the registration is out of date. :doh:

-Charlie

Awesome-Trac

phattyduck":bk1f1s68 said:
CTechBlueDragon":bk1f1s68 said:
I've been pretty bad at keeping things updated recently too - The car has been smogged. Tomorrow morning, I'll be getting a VIN problem fixed and hopefully it will be actually be legal to drive on the streets. Gotta love it when the title has a VIN that doesn't match the car - but the car isn't legal to drive on the street to go get updated/verified because the registration is out of date. :doh:

-Charlie

Can't you get the one day pass from the DMV

phattyduck

Awesome-Trac":1z3hgrzj said:
phattyduck":1z3hgrzj said:
CTechBlueDragon":1z3hgrzj said:

-Charlie

Can't you get the one day pass from the DMV
Yup. Already did, though I did it through AAA, of course. Get there at 9am, out of the door by 9:10am... hopefully the VIN inspection/correction goes as fast tomorrow.

I had an issue when I started the title transfer process when I bought the car - I knew the VIN was wrong and (somewhat stupidly) wanted to correct it at the time of title transfer. Of course, without the car there, they can't verify the VIN and correct the title. I had to go to the next AAA office to start the process over and not tell them to start the title transfer. Sadly, its now 2 1/2 years later and here I am again. At least this time I can bring the car in to get the error fixed.

-Charlie

What a drag, I hope everything goes as planned and you get to drive it. Thanks again for the EWD that made all the difference in the world. I also had to do the starter relay mod I just happened to run into that little problem at the same time as I was working out all the harness splicing and it made me think I had messed it up. Now I am going to wire in a relay and extra fuel pump resistor I have so my TTSupra pump isn't going full speed all the time, should extend its life considerably. Did you do this to yours? I still have a bunch of stuff to wrap up (the harness being most literal of them) but now that it runs I am a lot more motivated. And of-course its going to start snowing here like tomorrow... and I have no garage... sigh I really want to drive this thing this winter. I may just have to tow it over to my fathers house and borrow his garage for a few hours at a time.
Oh yeah my really nice neighbor Joel helped me out welding that sway bar mount mod and it turned out awesome, I put my 185 lowering springs on the car and it dropped the back down so far it was like an inch lower than the fronts. I bought some KYB AGX shocks for the rear and since we had to weld the top on from some fronts anyways we went ahead and added an inch under the sway bar mounts and it brought the height up perfectly, and I bought some adjustable mr2 end links used for super cheap that fit perfect! I'll hafta post up a pic on the post your car thread soon, it looks great with the scion rims. So its all adjustable shocks now at just the height I would have wanted without buying coils.

phattyduck

CTechBlueDragon":64gx1b4q said:
What a drag, I hope everything goes as planned and you get to drive it. Thanks again for the EWD that made all the difference in the world. I also had to do the starter relay mod I just happened to run into that little problem at the same time as I was working out all the harness splicing and it made me think I had messed it up. Now I am going to wire in a relay and extra fuel pump resistor I have so my TTSupra pump isn't going full speed all the time, should extend its life considerably. Did you do this to yours? I still have a bunch of stuff to wrap up (the harness being most literal of them) but now that it runs I am a lot more motivated. And of-course its going to start snowing here like tomorrow... and I have no garage... sigh I really want to drive this thing this winter. I may just have to tow it over to my fathers house and borrow his garage for a few hours at a time.
Oh yeah my really nice neighbor Joel helped me out welding that sway bar mount mod and it turned out awesome, I put my 185 lowering springs on the car and it dropped the back down so far it was like an inch lower than the fronts. I bought some KYB AGX shocks for the rear and since we had to weld the top on from some fronts anyways we went ahead and added an inch under the sway bar mounts and it brought the height up perfectly, and I bought some adjustable mr2 end links used for super cheap that fit perfect! I'll hafta post up a pic on the post your car thread soon, it looks great with the scion rims. So its all adjustable shocks now at just the height I would have wanted without buying coils.
I have a TT Supra pump on my 3s-gte Alltrac Camry and I kept the stock fuel pump resistor setup. On this Alltrac (or, rather, the BEAMs motor) there is not extra fuel pump resistor, so I am still using the stock pump. 200 N/A HP isn't that much fuel to flow.

Its running great at this point, and I have a nice, shiny 2016 registration sticker on the back. The guy at AAA even had to check for an emission sticker under the hood... it is totally faded and obviously doesn't match the motor, but that didn't matter. I also fixed the tail lights, so I have essentially no chance of getting pulled over at this point - unless I'm speeding. :D

I filled it up with gas for the first time last night. I've only driven it around 120 miles total since I bought the car. That should go up considerably now. I suddenly want to fix the speaker and stereo situation so it is a better daily driver. A tape adapter and poorly installed aftermarket speakers just don't cut it.

-Charlie

Awesome!! I did LED tails they are super bright, which is great because I plan to VHT nightshade them! I think I am going to go radio-less in mine.
What did you work out for the tachometer problem in yours? I have an adapter box but I am not sure if it works right I never had good luck with it in when it was in the 93GT. It seemed to work at first then got worse and worse, so I though the capacitors went out so I replaced those to no avail... I bought an old sunpro tac at a yard sale for 3 bucks if all else fails. But I want to keep the stock appearance.
I can't remember do either of your cars have the 205 lsd in the back? If so can you tell the difference much?

phattyduck

I pulled the tach apart and modified it:

zkKiBsJ.jpg

k3LAa1P.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APQmcyO5EBM

I don't have my notes on my, but if I remember correctly, I parallelled a 30k resistor with the 30k resistor that was already part of the input to the tach driver and it worked perfectly. I had a nice selection of parts and a signal generator on the bench to test. It works down to around 9V signals now, which is just fine.

More info here (R4 is what needs to be modified):
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showth ... d-question

-Charlie

Awesome thanks for the info. I will go to radio shack and try to match up the colors and see what I can find. I think they are all coded that way right?
Also I was wondering how do you figure out how much more oil you need after you hook up the filter relocation? Will it make it read high on the dip stick or does it not all drain back?

phattyduck

CTechBlueDragon":mkzayr25 said:
Awesome thanks for the info. I will go to radio shack and try to match up the colors and see what I can find. I think they are all coded that way right?
Also I was wondering how do you figure out how much more oil you need after you hook up the filter relocation? Will it make it read high on the dip stick or does it not all drain back?
The resistors are color coded. If you are going to get them at Radio Shack (do they still exist?), just get one close to 30k ohm - a little high or a little low will be fine for that part of the circuit. Or you can replace that resistor (15k), but it was a bit more difficult to do it that way (in my opinion...).

As for the oil filter relocation - the oil stays up in the filter and hoses pretty well. Just fill the normal amount (4.5 quarts?), run it to check for leaks, then check the level and add the extra necessary. That's how you are supposed to do it without a relocation kit anyway, and its worked for me with the relocation kit.

In other news, I took the BEAMS up to the mountains - no overheating problems up the mountain, starts up great cold (around freezing), and the trans shifts just fine cold too. All-in-all, a good shake-down run. My wife was a bit worried about the whole thing though. Ha!

-Charlie

Well I wish I had a good story about my first drive but I am a complete retard... I decided to take a short drive without doing the oil filter relocation and the filter rubbed through on the mount and I lost oil and didn't notice because I was looking at the temp gauge of all things. I saw some smoke but I thought it was the turbo, and it went away immediately. That was because it go so soaked in oil it stopped smoking. The entire engine bay and engine are coated in oil and I didn't see the idiot light until I had driven a couple miles without any oil. I am too stupid to own this car. This is worse then the guys I got the engine from that melted a piston because the wastegate wasn't hooked up. I feel like selling everything now. Just spent the last of my money on the damn reg and tags and now its gonna sit the rest of the winter atleast. I cannot believe I did this. :cry:

phattyduck

CTechBlueDragon":1nhw84tx said:
Well I wish I had a good story about my first drive but I am a complete retard... I decided to take a short drive without doing the oil filter relocation and the filter rubbed through on the mount and I lost oil and didn't notice because I was looking at the temp gauge of all things. I saw some smoke but I thought it was the turbo, and it went away immediately. That was because it go so soaked in oil it stopped smoking. The entire engine bay and engine are coated in oil and I didn't see the idiot light until I had driven a couple miles without any oil. I am too stupid to own this car. This is worse then the guys I got the engine from that melted a piston because the wastegate wasn't hooked up. I feel like selling everything now. Just spent the last of my money on the damn reg and tags and now its gonna sit the rest of the winter atleast. I cannot believe I did this. :cry:
I'm not even sure how you got a filter on there... I only have 3/8" or so of clearance, even with a right-angle oil-filter take-off. You'll get it back together, and now you've learned your "always leave clearance for things" lesson. (or in my case, really stiff motor mounts!)

Oh, watch for swaybar to oil pan clearance on the gen3+ motors... The alloy pan is wider can can/does interfere with the swaybar.

-Charlie

de_engineered

FC Zach":3ds92bol said:
Totally random but there's a smiley face on the tach in the second pic :)

Naw, that's some katakana, "tsu." Some orientation indicator etc. And that's enough weeb for today lol.

This build has me jonesing to work on my Camry Trac. Talk, being cheap and all, is all I can afford right now though, laugh/cry.

phattyduck

Replaced the 4 outer bushing/bearings on the rear lateral links. It all went fairly well:

OzfmHM2.jpg

Until re-assembly of the second side... I let one of the arms put too much pressure on the CV boot and ripped it. Ugh. So, time to rebuilt at least one axle back there. Ordered the last outer boot at RockAuto available. And two of the last 6 inner boots.

I hope I got the bands tight enough...

9TdPZZQ.jpg

QibLJcO.jpg

The engine also starting making some noise at idle. Didn't seem like bearings, too 'fast' and not 'deep' enough. I used the vacuum line trick to try to isolate the noise and the engine seems to sound great. From underneath though, it really sounds like it is coming from the PS pump. It turns out the noise from the engine at idle was a stupid mistake... The crank pulley bolt wasn't fully tight (I never put the impact gun on it after the timing belt job...). Fixed, and working great!

I also was able to get the center diff lock system working. Turns out the BEAMS motor 'vacuum' reference for the FPR is actually atmospheric pressure. Not vacuum on the actuator = no actuation! It was/is a bit sticky in its operation, but that's to be expected. A little time and turning back and forth gets it locked or unlocked. I've never driven with a locked center - wow, what a funny feeling. Not recommended for the street!

Tail lights are sealed up (3/4 had leaks)... And I also found and repaired a leaky trunk lip - in the normal spot up near the hinges where there is a section of seam sealer. Here it is after a bit of grinding, before more grinding/cleaning and rust converting/sealing:

ihUrjvL.jpg

With all that said, the car is ready for sale. Too many projects, too little time. Any interested parties PM me! I'll be putting up an official 'for sale' post when its all cleaned up and some nice pictures have been taken.

-Charlie

phattyduck

I finally got the BEAMS Alltrac cleaned up a bit...

n0MkNaG.jpg

DYMEfAy.jpg

TcNxSPs.jpg

VZJGfCx.jpg

7HcOAA3.jpg

nfANcF6.jpg

qDp3sqN.jpg

X9R3QUk.jpg

YXZ2zx0.jpg

OJ2hMjE.jpg

huppDQC.jpg

qNxnpht.jpg

chwDRDk.jpg

ai8TjGy.jpg

FAFDbP7.jpg

WavX1sa.jpg

iYteohW.jpg

AoyoceL.jpg

JhfWKbP.jpg

Pros:
BEAMS - with brand new all OEM seals/timing belt, etc.
Working sunroof
Working cruise control
Working center diff lock
Rust free aside from (now fixed) trunk/tail light leak areas

Cons:
Right rear window doesn't work
AC needs a recharge (fully wired up with the swap, compressor turns on, but doesn't cool much)
Dings and dents

I've put around 3-4k miles on it since the swap was completed. I'm currently daily driving it and getting around 26mpg driving it pretty fast and hard.

Asking $4k...

-Charlie

phattyduck

The AC is fixed now... just needed a recharge (system pressure was down around 35psi...).

I've also put ~1000 miles on it since putting it up for sale. Time for an oil change.

Still runs great! Just need to find the right buyer. Anybody have ideas for other forums to post it on? It is only up on Toyotanation and here right now.

-Charlie