FC Zach's AllTrac

autojumbled

transneptunian69":i8oolx0s said:
Not only that (back to where it was) but I'd also like to address the small mystery oil leak and possibly a CT27 and cams.

Nice. I feel you on this one. Got a bit of a mystery leak myself. Had all the front and rear seals replaced when I had the timing belt and clutch changed but she still leaks a bit from the back of the engine somewhere. I hate how inaccessible the back is with the way they mounted the engine.

Very nice fc as well though. Makes me want another car to play around with besides the celica lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you checked the cam cover gasket as the source of the rear leak?
A little silicone is recommended when replacing to help the seal.
It certainly made a huge improvement to mine when I replaced with new gaskets. [emoji3]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

transneptunian

Yea. I actually just removed the valve cover and painted it and reinstalled with some liquid gasket around the corners and no change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FC Zach

It's been a while since I've been active here, mostly due to the Celica being dormant from a trans issue that I'm finally motivated to dig into. I have a decision to make and that is either buy a "good" used trans or disassemble mine and attempt repairing it. Ideally I would like to repair mine so I don't have to beat-the-clock by installing and testing an imported trans before the warranty period ends but I vaguely remember reading posts in the past stating the limited availability of internal parts for our trans. . . Am I remembering correctly, has anyone done any repairs lately? If so, was there a lot of searching involved or were parts readily available?

I know a guy that does great transmission work and he said he'd do it but he'd need specs and parts availability. . Unfortunately, at this point I don't know what is broke until we tear it apart but I'm sure there are specs in the manual, I'll look into that later.

FC Zach

So I checked my PDF files and the service manual I have is a 1993 volume 1 and only covers the engine/specifications, does anyone have PDF manual that covers trans that you don't mind sharing? Please and thanks!

underscore

If your existing trans is already broken you've got nothing to lose by taking it apart and seeing what's up. Bad Obsession Motorsport did some pretty thorough videos on their teardown of the trans that may be helpful to you.

FC Zach

Funny you mention that, I just emailed that to the guy to use as homework LOL. . That episode was also a great resource for part numbers too, not just required tools (that they didn't use) but mostly the necessary seals.

Roreri

FC Zach":2b47jdxi said:
It's been a while since I've been active here, mostly due to the Celica being dormant from a trans issue that I'm finally motivated to dig into. I have a decision to make and that is either buy a "good" used trans or disassemble mine and attempt repairing it. Ideally I would like to repair mine so I don't have to beat-the-clock by installing and testing an imported trans before the warranty period ends but I vaguely remember reading posts in the past stating the limited availability of internal parts for our trans. . . Am I remembering correctly, has anyone done any repairs lately? If so, was there a lot of searching involved or were parts readily available?

I know a guy that does great transmission work and he said he'd do it but he'd need specs and parts availability. . Unfortunately, at this point I don't know what is broke until we tear it apart but I'm sure there are specs in the manual, I'll look into that later.

I am working with a shop to refurb a GT-Four I just bought and I am finding it a hassle. I had to source the parts for a timing belt/timing belt components/water pump change out and found PrimeMR2 and GT-Four Play to be helpful. Lithia Toyota Parts https://www.lithiatoyotaparts.com/ and Olathe https://parts.olathetoyota.com/v-toyota are still offering AllTrac parts but limited part numbers on hand (they appear to use the same parts database)--the only thing they have on hand is the OEM Clutch Flywheel.

FC Zach

underscore":21ppq5vm said:
If your existing trans is already broken you've got nothing to lose by taking it apart and seeing what's up.
This is the route I've decided to take. . Like you said, I've got nothing to loose.

Roreri":21ppq5vm said:
I am working with a shop to refurb a GT-Four I just bought and I am finding it a hassle. I had to source the parts for a timing belt/timing belt components/water pump change out and found PrimeMR2 and GT-Four Play to be helpful. Lithia Toyota Parts https://www.lithiatoyotaparts.com/ and Olathe https://parts.olathetoyota.com/v-toyota are still offering AllTrac parts but limited part numbers on hand (they appear to use the same parts database)--the only thing they have on hand is the OEM Clutch Flywheel.
Thanks for the links, I will refer to these once I assess the damage

I pulled the cover off the ol girl and pulled out from the corner of the garage yesterday afternoon to place on the lift to further motivate me to get started on it and most importantly, stop taking on work for other people. That's been delaying me the most, I kept taking on one little project after the other. Before putting on the lift, I took her for a drive :) I forgot how much I love this car. Hoping to get parts pulled soon :D

FC Zach

I've been busy and have pulled the engine/trans, found the trans issue, and am already addressing other found issues. The problem with the trans is a broken fifth/reverse hub like I had suspected. I've had hubs sick and/or seize completely but never break apart.
51759928259_2d3699e46b_z.jpg

While everything is out and easily accessable, I want to replace anything questionable that I haven't already changed. Things like the flexible clutch hose, turbo drain hose (elbow to the oil pan), and transmission cooler lines. I visited a local hydraulics business yesterday and brought all these items with me but unfortunately, it was either a machine was broke or they didn't have the materials. . No worries, I stopped by Toyota on the way home and was still able to order the turbo drain. The clutch hose is unfortunate because I was hoping to have them make a braided one but no worries, I'll order a standard one from rock auto.

As for the trans cooler lines, as much as I wanted them to do the work, I figured I could do an ok job. I didn't want to gamble putting theses back on without trying so I picked up some power steering hose from the parts store and disassembled and replaced every soft hose. I'm glad I did too because after cleaning and removing rust from all the steel tubes, I found two pinholes in one barbed fitting that was apparently holding water between the hose/fitting. All that's left with these is a coat of paint and they'll be ready. . . Well, after I flush the cooler to get all the flakes out of it.
51785154183_773654f899_z.jpg

Other things I've addressed are the hose from hell, the distributor leaking, and the removal of all TVIS components since I found that the diaphragm was shot, I'll be ordering a phenolic intake spacer soon. The distributor was leaking past the internal shaft seal and since these distributors are not easily replaceable, I decided to rebuild mine. Twos R Us sells a rebuild kit, I've already received and installed it. . crossing fingers that I did it correctly.

The transmission will be for parts only, I will not be rebuilding it unless absolutely necessary. I am getting two transmissions from Andy on here and will make that 17 hour round-trip drive at the end of the week. I'm getting both of his spares because I figured with as far as I'll be driving, if something is wrong with one, I'd rather have a backup than make that trip again. Worse case, if both are bad, surely I can make a good one from the three.

FC Zach

Oh yeah, I also found some damage to my fuse box while pulling the harness to lower the engine. It appears that the EFI fuse had a horrible connection and got a little hot to say the least! Look to the left of the picture, you can see the fuse and the terminal become one along with melted plastic!
51784091352_07b38dccc1_z.jpg

It may look half-ass but it'll work. . If I had another fuse box I'd replace it but :)

autojumbled

Nice update [emoji1783]
What symptoms did you have to discover the TVIS diaphragm was busted?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

FC Zach

autojumbled":3g5ohk4g said:

No symptoms, just suspicions. . It has most likely never worked since the start of my ownership. In fact when I first put the car on a lift ~ten years ago, I found the connector off the solenoid. So with that said, I don't know what the car should/shouldn't feel like :(

autojumbled

FC Zach":3mhlzv7a said:
autojumbled":3mhlzv7a said:

No symptoms, just suspicions. . It has most likely never worked since the start of my ownership. In fact when I first put the car on a lift ~ten years ago, I found the connector off the solenoid. So with that said, I don't know what the car should/shouldn't feel like :(
If you've likely never had it then You won't miss it!

I've been chasing down a bad misfire/backfire at 4k rpm and wondered whether it was related to the TVIS as I think it comes in around that many revs. Was hoping you could tell me what issue you had!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

FC Zach

Deleted the TVIS with KOracing's spacer and replaced the stock flywheel with an ACT lightweight steel.
51875659984_1d1e49671f_z.jpg

I got the trans bolted on last night. While easily accessible, I replaced the shaft seals and had a braided clutch line made.
51875344381_51aa141dc2_z.jpg

Going to try to get back in the car next week.