FC Zach's AllTrac

Talk about your project car here

Re: FC Zach's AllTrac

Postby FC Zach » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:28 am

transneptunian69 wrote:Definitely smart to at least have another reliable car while owning one of these though. Gives you the piece of mind to work on it in your own time and not seemed rushed or burdened by HAVING to get it fixed.

Definitely! That hits the nail on the head and also helps with your next question. . .

transneptunian69 wrote:Are you planning to just get it back to where it was or working on any new bits?

Not only that (back to where it was) but I'd also like to address the small mystery oil leak and possibly a CT27 and cams.

transneptunian69 wrote:I figure why buy a car if you’re not going to daily, or at least drive often.

I agree with this wholeheartedly! Backstory: I love rotaries and own an RX7 and have owned a couple rotary motorcycles too (as well as a few other rotaries). . one of which was an oil injected Hercules W2000 (one of 199 made) that I never rode. . I ended up selling that to get another bike that I could enjoy. The RX7 is driven out of state every year and enjoyed occasionally. With all that said, once the Celica is back together, it will not only stay in my collection but will also still be hooned on occasion ;)
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
1992 Toyota Celica AllTrac
1993 Yamaha GTS1000
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
FC Zach
Established Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby FC Zach » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:59 am

To add to the RX7: I got that car from a junkyard for $500 when I was in highschool (~04) with hopes of getting into autocross and over the years I got it nicer and nicer, up to the point it is today. To this day, I have never got into racing, I lost interest somewhere in-between. Either way, I love the car and although I don't drive it often, I have a lot in it and it's not going anywhere, just like the Celica!

1993 Yamaha GTS1000
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
FC Zach
Established Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby underscore » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:24 am

[quote="transneptunian69"]I figure why buy a car if you’re not going to daily, or at least drive often./quote]

So much this. Life is too short and too unpredictable to not drive your fun vehicles as much as possible. One day, one way or another, every car will cease to be driven by someone who loves it. When that day comes I'd much rather be looking back at all the joy I got out of it instead of looking back at all the times I drove some boring POS for no reason. Electric cars and driverless cars are coming on fast, and I wouldn't be surprised if within my lifetime I'm bo linger allowed to drive my Celica on the road.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby transneptunian » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:52 am

underscore wrote:
transneptunian69 wrote:I figure why buy a car if you’re not going to daily, or at least drive often./quote]

So much this. Life is too short and too unpredictable to not drive your fun vehicles as much as possible. One day, one way or another, every car will cease to be driven by someone who loves it. When that day comes I'd much rather be looking back at all the joy I got out of it instead of looking back at all the times I drove some boring POS for no reason. Electric cars and driverless cars are coming on fast, and I wouldn't be surprised if within my lifetime I'm bo linger allowed to drive my Celica on the road.
Yea. Unfortunately, I could see it coming to a full on ban on old ICE vehicles. I’ll have my riot gear ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1993 JDM ST-185 - The project
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 - The tank
2017 Dodge Caravan - The grocery getter
transneptunian
Club Member

1993 Toyota Celica

Postby transneptunian » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:16 am

Not only that (back to where it was) but I'd also like to address the small mystery oil leak and possibly a CT27 and cams.

Nice. I feel you on this one. Got a bit of a mystery leak myself. Had all the front and rear seals replaced when I had the timing belt and clutch changed but she still leaks a bit from the back of the engine somewhere. I hate how inaccessible the back is with the way they mounted the engine.

Very nice fc as well though. Makes me want another car to play around with besides the celica lol.

transneptunian
Club Member

1993 Toyota Celica

Postby autojumbled » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:29 am

transneptunian69 wrote:Not only that (back to where it was) but I'd also like to address the small mystery oil leak and possibly a CT27 and cams.

Nice. I feel you on this one. Got a bit of a mystery leak myself. Had all the front and rear seals replaced when I had the timing belt and clutch changed but she still leaks a bit from the back of the engine somewhere. I hate how inaccessible the back is with the way they mounted the engine.

Very nice fc as well though. Makes me want another car to play around with besides the celica lol.

Have you checked the cam cover gasket as the source of the rear leak?
A little silicone is recommended when replacing to help the seal.
It certainly made a huge improvement to mine when I replaced with new gaskets.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
autojumbled
Club Member

Postby transneptunian » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:22 pm

Yea. I actually just removed the valve cover and painted it and reinstalled with some liquid gasket around the corners and no change.

transneptunian
Club Member

1993 Toyota Celica

Postby FC Zach » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:47 am

It's been a while since I've been active here, mostly due to the Celica being dormant from a trans issue that I'm finally motivated to dig into. I have a decision to make and that is either buy a "good" used trans or disassemble mine and attempt repairing it. Ideally I would like to repair mine so I don't have to beat-the-clock by installing and testing an imported trans before the warranty period ends but I vaguely remember reading posts in the past stating the limited availability of internal parts for our trans. . . Am I remembering correctly, has anyone done any repairs lately? If so, was there a lot of searching involved or were parts readily available?

I know a guy that does great transmission work and he said he'd do it but he'd need specs and parts availability. . Unfortunately, at this point I don't know what is broke until we tear it apart but I'm sure there are specs in the manual, I'll look into that later.
Last edited by FC Zach on Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
1993 Yamaha GTS1000
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
FC Zach
Established Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby FC Zach » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:10 am

So I checked my PDF files and the service manual I have is a 1993 volume 1 and only covers the engine/specifications, does anyone have PDF manual that covers trans that you don't mind sharing? Please and thanks!
1993 Yamaha GTS1000
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
FC Zach
Established Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby sefiroxx » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:51 am

http://bgbonline.celicatech.com/

You could call w whatever it takes transmission parts or Transtec

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
sefiroxx
Club Member

Postby FC Zach » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:15 am

Thanks for that link! I'll keep those sources in mind.
1993 Yamaha GTS1000
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
FC Zach
Established Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby underscore » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:00 am

If your existing trans is already broken you've got nothing to lose by taking it apart and seeing what's up. Bad Obsession Motorsport did some pretty thorough videos on their teardown of the trans that may be helpful to you.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby FC Zach » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:59 am

Funny you mention that, I just emailed that to the guy to use as homework LOL. . That episode was also a great resource for part numbers too, not just required tools (that they didn't use) but mostly the necessary seals.
1993 Yamaha GTS1000
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
FC Zach
Established Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby Roreri » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:01 am

FC Zach wrote:It's been a while since I've been active here, mostly due to the Celica being dormant from a trans issue that I'm finally motivated to dig into. I have a decision to make and that is either buy a "good" used trans or disassemble mine and attempt repairing it. Ideally I would like to repair mine so I don't have to beat-the-clock by installing and testing an imported trans before the warranty period ends but I vaguely remember reading posts in the past stating the limited availability of internal parts for our trans. . . Am I remembering correctly, has anyone done any repairs lately? If so, was there a lot of searching involved or were parts readily available?

I know a guy that does great transmission work and he said he'd do it but he'd need specs and parts availability. . Unfortunately, at this point I don't know what is broke until we tear it apart but I'm sure there are specs in the manual, I'll look into that later.

I am working with a shop to refurb a GT-Four I just bought and I am finding it a hassle. I had to source the parts for a timing belt/timing belt components/water pump change out and found PrimeMR2 and GT-Four Play to be helpful. Lithia Toyota Parts https://www.lithiatoyotaparts.com/ and Olathe https://parts.olathetoyota.com/v-toyota are still offering AllTrac parts but limited part numbers on hand (they appear to use the same parts database)--the only thing they have on hand is the OEM Clutch Flywheel.
Roreri
Club Member

Postby FC Zach » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:07 pm

underscore wrote:If your existing trans is already broken you've got nothing to lose by taking it apart and seeing what's up.

This is the route I've decided to take. . Like you said, I've got nothing to loose.

Roreri wrote:I am working with a shop to refurb a GT-Four I just bought and I am finding it a hassle. I had to source the parts for a timing belt/timing belt components/water pump change out and found PrimeMR2 and GT-Four Play to be helpful. Lithia Toyota Parts https://www.lithiatoyotaparts.com/ and Olathe https://parts.olathetoyota.com/v-toyota are still offering AllTrac parts but limited part numbers on hand (they appear to use the same parts database)--the only thing they have on hand is the OEM Clutch Flywheel.

Thanks for the links, I will refer to these once I assess the damage

I pulled the cover off the ol girl and pulled out from the corner of the garage yesterday afternoon to place on the lift to further motivate me to get started on it and most importantly, stop taking on work for other people. That's been delaying me the most, I kept taking on one little project after the other. Before putting on the lift, I took her for a drive :) I forgot how much I love this car. Hoping to get parts pulled soon :D
1993 Yamaha GTS1000
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
FC Zach
Established Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Previous

Return to My Project