Evan's ST185 GT-Four Build.

EvanP246

Hi guys, my name is Evan and I'm from Barbados. I bought Flying Bajan's old GT- Four in May and have been in the process of restoring it. This is Dennis Heath's old car. I currently own a Gen 3 3sgte mkii MR2 and have also owned a gen 2 3sge mk2. It was only a matter of time before I bought a GT-Four haha. Here are some pictures after I gave her a proper detailing.

The specs of the car are as follows (items in bold are parts that I have installed since purchasing):

1990 Celica ST185 GT-Four

Engine:
2nd Gen 3SGTE
HKS 264 Cams
HKS Cam Gears
HKS Valve Springs
Garrett GT2871R Turbo
KO Racing 3" Downpipe
HKS 3" Silent Hi-Power Exhaust
K&N Air Filter
Turbo XS FMIC
2.5" Intercooler piping
HKS SSQV BOV
Aquamist Water Injection System
Autronic SMC Standalone ECU
Blitz 630cc Injectors
Modified Fuel Rail (twin entry)
Malpassi FPR
Bosch Upgraded Fuel Pump
ARP Head Studs
HKS 1.6mm Head Gasket
Disabled and gutted TVIS
Twin Direct Fire Coilpacks (Evo III)
TRD Plug Wires
TRD IK24 Iridium Plugs
TRD Low Temp Thermostat
TRD 1.3 Bar Radiator Cap
Toyota Carlos Sainz Edition Radiator Fan

Drivetrain:
E150F Gearbox
ACT Street\Strip Clutch
C's Short Shifter

Suspension:
TRD Struts
TRD Springs
Whiteline Adjustable Rear Swaybar
Whiteline Camber Bolts

Exterior:
OEM Toyota Carlos Sainz Edition Conversion (bumper and bonnet)
Raybrig Clear Headlamps
Enkei RPF1 17x8 +35 Wheels
Bridgestone Potenza RE070 225/45/17 Tyres

Interior:
OMP Reclinable Bucket Seats
OMP Deep Dish Steering Wheel
TRD Shift Knob
HKS Turbo Timer
HKS EVC Boost Controller
Defi Advance BF Gauges
Pioneer Bluetooth Head Unit

The owner who had it for the past two years neglected it and it needed some tlc to get it back on its feet. Here are some pics after a some cleaning up.

I bought the car running on 2 cylinders, blowing vapour from the breather and in need of suspension and subframe bushings as well as re-upholstering the interior. The exhaust also has a few holes in it and was pretty beat.

The first thing I did was change the oil and filter (mobil 1 and oem toyota filter) then I replaced the exhaust with the HKS Silent Hi Power Catback installed a K&N Air Filter and changed the plugs to TRD IK24s (this got all 4 cylinders firing)

Then I installed new ball joints and a rear diff cushion. These were the main issues with the suspsnsion/chassis.

After inspection it turned out that my #3 cylinder was low on compression, caused by damaged rings. I decided to re-build the engine with forged internals. Many thanks to Scott from ATS Racing for supplying the parts and good advice.

I ordered an OEM full overhaul gasket/seal set
OEM Timing Belt
OEM Tensioner & Pulley
OEM Water Pump
ATS Racing High Volume Oil Pump
Wiseco (ATS Spec) Forged Pistons (.5 over)
Eagle Forged H-Beam Rods
ACL Race Bearings
Cometic MLS 1.2mm Head Gasket

They arrived last Friday:

I have begun the process of dropping the engine and transmission.
Here is where I am now:

I will have the engine out by tonight.

Other Mods that I will be doing include:

Trackforged 3" Midpipe
BC Racing BR Coilovers
17x9 +42 Rota Grid Wheels
GT4 Racing Polyurethane Bushings (complete set)
H&R Wheel Spacers

The plan is to rebuild and retune for around 20-25psi with water/meth injection. Looking for roughly 340whp.

Stay tuned for more updates!

EvanP246

Thanks! I have a narrowbody so I was planning to use a 5mm spacer in the front and a 12mm spacer in the rear.

Meenya

EvanP246":329i1gey said:
Thanks! I have a narrowbody so I was planning to use a 5mm spacer in the front and a 12mm spacer in the rear.

I don't know how those would fit on outside due to narrowbody but you might have issue at the back with effective offset of 30mm on 9".
This would depend on your negative camber and shocks/coilovers but for sure it would not work on my car with DMS coilovers...again fyi:)

EvanP246

Meenya":1zoezsdt said:
EvanP246":1zoezsdt said:

I don't know how those would fit on outside due to narrowbody but you might have issue at the back with effective offset of 30mm on 9".
This would depend on your negative camber and shocks/coilovers but for sure it would not work on my car with DMS coilovers...again fyi:)

I got my information from this post:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1327&start=645

DJS has a narrowbody fwd. I believe it's the same as my body. He ran a 17x9 +30 all around on bc coils. Do you think it would be any different with the awd drivetrain?

Meenya

I hope my attachment works...this is how 255/40/17 on 17x9" 12mm offset looks on my car. There is about -1.5 camber as well when this pic was taken and from what I have seen DMS coilovers sit lower than other brands.
But you can see that there is no way 30mm offset will work. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• tapaupload0.jpg
    tapaupload0.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 7,493

underscore

EvanP246":3qg8x167 said:
Meenya":3qg8x167 said:
EvanP246":3qg8x167 said:

I got my information from this post:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1327&start=645

DJS has a narrowbody fwd. I believe it's the same as my body. He ran a 17x9 +30 all around on bc coils. Do you think it would be any different with the awd drivetrain?

he also has hugely stretched tires.

EvanP246

Okay, I see the clearance. It looks like it's your tyre that is causing it to be so close more so than your wheel.
After speaking with magnum I have decided to run a 5mm spacer up front to have an effective offset of 37 and a 25mm spacer in the rear to have a 17mm effective offset. I will be running 225/45/17 Potenza RE070s. Thanks again magnum!

EvanP246

Cams are way out of whack though, I will be dialing them in. I never really felt this turbo spool properly since #3 wasn't doing much. It should be a pretty different animal after all this.

Here is the culprit. I thought it was gonna be rings but it was the ringlands that cracked.

Here's the damage:

Luckily, the bore is fine.

Speaking of bores, the block, head, intake and exhaust manifold and turbo are at the machine shop having work done.

That includes:

Bore block to 86.5 and hone
Port and polish head
Seat valves
Port match intake and exhaust manifold as well as turbo exhaust housing inlet.

Hoping to have the bottom end back by tomorrow. I'll start rebuilding Friday evening.

Turns out I need a clutch, the old one is showing signs of slipping. Too much torque. The solution is an ACT XTSS rated up to 510ft/lbs at the flywheel.

Eventually I want to upgrade to a 3076/ 5858 and try to make 400whp on pump and water/meth. :D We'll see how next year goes.

CSAlltrac

Im curious to see your numbers when all said and done. Im kicking around the idea of a 2871 for my next turbo. All Im wanting is around the 300 range for AWHP and TQ. Awesome find under the timing cover, surprises like that are always nice! Keep up the work and dont forget the updates!

EvanP246

Thanks guys. I should be looking at around 340whp at 24psi on pump and water/meth injection. The machine work on the block and head is just about done so we'll be starting the longblock assembly next week. Stay tuned for updates.

EvanP246

So I got the engine back from the Ullyetts (machine shop) last month. Thanks to everyone there for all the help. I learned a lot and had a blast doing it.

Here are some pictures from the build:

20131205_230144_zpsc0788b8a.jpg

20131205_230114_zps24bbcfed.jpg

20131205_230210_zps84dd74ef.jpg

20131205_232557_zps0cb6180c.jpg

20131205_112107_zps0cbaee91.jpg

20131205_112121_zps3f39dc19.jpg

20131205_112153_zpsb1abdf93.jpg

20131218_153605_zpsc2a2bb13.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/ ... 7ca100.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/ ... edfec9.jpg

I'm painting all the parts to bolt on the engine. Turns out my turbine housing was cracked so I'm waiting on the new one to arrive.

20131227_130845_zpse202d7ed.jpg

I managed to get an ebay manifold at a really good price locally so I sent it to the machine shop to be reinforced, port matched and have the flanges resurfaced. Here is a mock up of it on the engine:

20140107_080515_zps1e195df0.jpg

My Tein SS coilovers arrived this week. They're beautiful.

20140107_093816_zps2d95e4d8.jpg

20140107_094518_zps8bb8e44a.jpg

I'm still waiting on my ACT 6 Puck clutch, KO Racing TB Inlet, Trackforged 3" Midpipe, Defi 80mm Tach, H&R 20mm wheel spacers for the rear and a TRD oil and radiator cap.

I got the engine harness back from Dennis Heath (tuner). He cleaned it up and repaired the damage from the 23 years of wear and tear.

EvanP246

Extremely long overdue update.

I had the car running for about a year and a half on the freshly built 9.2:1 motor with a ported head and the same 264s from before. I ran 22psi on our crappy pump gas and the car felt good, pulled strong and sounded great. I thoroughly enjoyed driving it on the road and the track butttt.......

I decided that I wanted more. Specifically:

a bigger turbo kit with an exhaust manifold
top feed fuel rail with bigger injectors
springs and retainers
Side feed intake manifold
Water/meth (the old aquamist died)
Bigger radiator with fan

I ended up selling the 2871 4 months ago and putting the car into hibernation until I had stockpiled all the parts that I needed.

Finally as of last week I have everything I need. This is what I ended up putting together:

Extreme Boost GT3040 turbo kit with tubular manifold
Clean Injection fuel rail with Seimens 880cc injectors
GSC valve springs and retainers
3sge sidefeed intake manifold
AEM water/methanol kit
Mishimoto radiator with XIII Motorsports fan shroud kit

I need to slightly modify the #1 runner on the exhaust manifold modified slightly to clear the alternator (originally an MR2 kit), and make some block off plates for the intake manifold.
Other than that the springs and retainers have to go in and then run some intercooler piping and I should be ready to tune.

EvanP246

Here is how the new setup came together.

0bb54e47d234b865b926f5f6acfb6e33.jpg

db8ab54c47d7473136bb1fe0401c31ff.jpg

Unfortunately my bores were not done properly from the last build and over time the pistons started to rock as the bore became more oval.

d39d0182ae6946cc38e71b9f4a60d878.jpg

I'm in process of rebuilding the engine with a fresh block. I didn't want to go to 87mm as I fear it the cylinder walls would be too thin for the power level I'm aiming for.

Here is the car in the wrecker going to the shop.

36f573781fc5c29a2739207f41a62371.jpg

7df48c0e91990b385956eaee83e51ea0.jpg

I never got to finish tuning the car and was only on 6psi of boost. Hopefully I can have everything back together in the next month or two and get her tuned and running properly on the new setup.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk