Pipedreams ST205, 5S-GTE BEAMS

Pipedreams

I think it's too expensive to put liners in. Such a waste if a piston or rod brakes. So I will try "concrete" block filler.
I forgot about your email, but to answer that I don't believe this is a cooling issue as two cylinders cracked at the exact same spot, the corner of the piston skirt so I guess it's the cylinder wall flexing. And I have seen other cracking cylinder walls with this type of piston design. It doesn't seem to work well with very high power.

abraxxa

Hic":2aclzdtk said:
Gen4 is without sleeves Alex

I finally took the time to upload the photo:

IMG_1299.jpg

You can clearly see the edge between block and sleeve where the block has been milled.

@Pipedreams: I could get a Redtop Beams for a good price, can you please tell me what else is needed to make it fit a Gen 4 3S-GTE block? Thanks! :notworthy:

Pipedreams

That block did not come with sleeves from the factory. It's been repaired.
If you can get a complete beams engine, use the beams block.

But please, enough of littering in my build thread :)

abraxxa

The engine is straight out of an automatic Caldina so I doubt anyone in Japan would repair a stock 3S-GTE with sleeves there.
So far it holds the ~500HP fine.

@Pipedreams: sorry for hijacking your thread, can you still answer my questions?

Pipedreams

Not much. Haven't had time for it due to work. But I will have it running again for the summer and if I can find the time I will put in a cage and lighten it. And I woule really like to put in a SQS gearkit.

gunt

will block filler not leave you unable to drive around on road fuel or long journeys , also do you not have to start with a good block if so why not try liners , hks have goods results for years too

Pipedreams

I'm not worried about cooling, the waterjackets are more than 110mm deep and with 91mm stroke the bottom of the block won't be getting much heat from the combustion. I will be filling just a little above the bottom of the freezeplugs.
I already have a new block as the 5sfe is very common here and I got a complete engine for about 300EUR. I don't belive dry liners would be an improvement so the better option would be wet liners and that's alot of money compared to a 5sfe engine.
And E85 is road fuel here in Sweden :) But I've given up on having it as a roadcar. It will only see track and maybe some late night drag :p

Pipedreams

Haven't touched it since June. Been working abroad alot. And now I'm waiting to move to a new garage and it's taking alot longer than expected for the old tenant to move out. We started discussions in December and I don't want to tear it apart to much before the move.

Pingman

Been following your build from a far for a while now Pipedreams, amazed at what you achieved, totally inspiring can't wait to see further progress :)

Pipedreams

Thanks Pingman :)

I have only stripped down the new block. The garagemove is getting closer so I might get on with it soon.