Pipedreams ST205, 5S-GTE BEAMS

Pipedreams

So here it is. I traded my kp62 4agte Starlet for this st205 since I just love the gt4s and had not owned one in a few years. The car had a built engine with a gt3071r turbo on it. 3rd gear was busted and it had a bad leak in the downpipe. So i put in a few days of work building a new downpipe and got the car on the road just to find that it used water so probably blown headgasket. So out with the engine and sold that as it was. Started to look for a new engine and why not use a beams redtop :)

Found a redtoop in Ireland with cambelt failure. It turned out it only had 4 bent valves but Ferreas weren´t that expensive. In the trade for the car I also got a -00 5sfe block, autoverdi rods and cp-pistons that I sold him a few years back, all still unused. The pistons wouldn´t work with the beams head so I customordered a set from J&E.

And in search for a turbo I was looking for something in the 650hp range but due to availability here in Sweden I ended up ordering a Borg Warner EFR8374 good for 750-800hp. Shit happens 8)

Placed an order for a os giken cluth and toda valvesprings from Japan. And custom cams from catcams.

As I find black wheels really boring I set out looking for something else. First priority was weight so I went with Enkei RPF1 in SBC finish, 17x9. The car had spacers that change pcd to 114,3 so that´s what I got but as the other wheels were sitting to far out and these would add 2mm I would have to modify the spacers. But when I got the wheels I found I only had 5mm of clearance from the caliper. That ment new brakes as I love the wheels to much :) Rotors are 330x28mm with Brembo radial mounted calipers from an Alfa 159. Also bought Project Mu HC+ brake pads all round as they worked great on a Skyline gtr I had before.

That´s pretty much where I´m at right now. Waiting for a block girdle and then I will get the block machined.
I took the gearbox apart and everything on 2nd and 3rd gear was toast so new parts are ordered.

Speclist on the engine:
-00 5SFE block, tapped for m11 headstuds
ARP m11 headstuds. 2JZ are the same length
mr2 5SFE crank: no gear for balance shafts
Autoverdi custom rods for 5sfe size bearings
Custom J&E pistons, lateral gas ports, coated skirts and tops, uprated pins. Comp ~10,2:1
Custom blockgirdle in 4mm stainless
OEM bearings
3SGE redtop sump, blacktop oilpump
3SGE redtop head, slight port and polish.
Ferrea oversize valves
Catcams camshafts, 269Deg in 236deg at 1mm, 11,25mm lift. 269Deg ex, 236deg at 1mm, ~10,7mm lift
VVT on intake cam. Fidanza adjustable camgear on exhaust.
Stock 3SGE redtop intake manifold.
Borg Warner EFR8374 turbo
Dual tial MV-S wastegates
Walbro 450lph intank to feed a catch.
Fualab PWM controlled main pump, Fuelab regulator.
Bosch 2200cc injectors
WTA intercooler
OS Giken R2CD clutch

Pipedreams

I will definitely use vvt as it´s great for spool. I will probably use a Link G4+ extreme ecu. As they do a plug and play for the blacktop beams it will be easy to setup. I also love alot of their features and versatility of the output configurations. But I will use a wire-in ecu as I will have to cut my harnesses as my car is LHD and the beams engine is RHD.

MWP

Nice.
I suggest going with a Vipec though, they have a couple of extra features over the Link (Link & Vipec same hardware, different firmware).
Going with a V88 would be a good idea. It might seem overkill at first, but if you want to use the extra features of the Vipec (flex fuel, water injection, anti-lag, traction control, etc), you might run out of I/O pins if you use a V44.

Pipedreams

I know they are allmost the same but I don´t see any features with the vipec that i will miss with a G4+. And you can´t find a price online for a vipec so I don´t know how much more it is though.
And I was going for the Link Extreme that is the v88/i88 equivalent, as I did notice that I would run out of outputs.

MWP

No problems then, sounds like youve done some research :)

Have you worked out where you'll bore the VVTI oil feed in the 5S block?
You'll have to run a redtop/blacktop oil pump and gen3/4 sump too.

Pipedreams

There are plenty of options for getting oil from the block, either from one of the plugs in the oilpan or at the front of the block where the oilcooler/heatexchanger is. The tricky bit is to get it into the head. As the hole in the head sits right at the edge of the block that will have to be plugged. There is a plugged hole closer to the cambelt above the waterpump that I would like to use but that would involve drilling out a steel ball/plug and that can be tricky as they are very hard. Haven´t looked to much into that as the head is away for port/polish and valvejob.
The redtop engine is from a celica st202 so it has the right pump/sump to fit in my car. Bought a new blacktop oilpump as it´s supposed to be uprated since those engines have dual VVTi.

Pipedreams

Some progress. Got my blockgirdle, need some spacers between the girdle and main caps and new bolts.

Modified the fuelpump hanger to have an6 feed. Oem feed will be used as return.

Drilled some water jackets in the 5s block to get water to the head where toyota intended. I used a gen3 3sgte gasket as template as the beams gasket looks like it´s made to have the engine run hotter with more water passages at cyl 3 and 4 and less at cyl 1. Waterpassages in the head are at the same positions on the beams and gen3.

Got my head back. Drilled a new oil passage for the vvt, didn´t get a picture of that before I dropped everything at the machine shop. The head got a light port/polish on the intake side and a bit more work on exhaust.

And just to brag ;) Finished an exhaust manifold for a friend of mine yesterday. He was very happy with it :) It´s for a st205 with a Schwitzer s200 twin entry t3. Mine will be the same design and as the beams has 2 bolt holes in common with gen3 I can use the same jig.

Pipedreams

Oh, I also got my hands on a TRD lsd equipped rear diff. So the plans for tomorrow is get the diff in place, the tank back in there and rear wheels fitted. The wheels got some new rubber to, toyo r888 245/40-17.

Pipedreams

Yes, that´s my other car. It´s a pretty rare TT 6spd targa in Royal sapphire pearl. 17 made in -97 and 10 in -98. Needs some work so I put it aside as I like the celica more :)

Mafix

why are you spending the money on an efr turbo if you are going to use external wastegates and such?

Pipedreams

What do you mean? I got it for a good price, it´s one of the most modern turbos you can get. Fits my powergoal and for the boost and power I´m aming for I have to use the biggest exhaust housing available and that is for external wastegates.

Pipedreams

Things worked out as planned today and the TRD lsd diff is in. Fueltank back in with walbro 450lph pump and rear wheels mounted. I guess I will have to do some cutting and/or rolling and maybe get some thinner spacers :)

Pipedreams

Not much progress as I'm away for work during weekdays. But I got some fittings made for the intercoolerpump and a new radiator for the ic fitted. Didn't have to move the transcooler nor the powersteering pipe. That saves some time.

Pipedreams

Not to much. Sard 68degree thermostat, koyo radiator and st205 waterpump. And E85 will make the engine run cooler as well.