Pipedreams ST205, 5S-GTE BEAMS

abraxxa

I'm still waiting on what is required to make the Beams fit an ST205 and E154F gearbox and make the VVTI work, thanks!

Pipedreams

The engine bolts right in. And getting the engine and vvt to work is all down to wiring and engine management. Since you mentioned you have a haltech ecu I'm not sure what you are asking? It reads camposition from the camsensor and controls it with a solenoid.

abraxxa

Good to know that there are no mechanical problems with the center diff, thanks!
You mentioned earlier that some modifications are required to the VVTi oil line.

humancyborg

Pipedreams":ui6ghfxk said:
That's if you're not using the beams block.

Would you be able to re-post the images of the oil feed modification? The links appear to be dead. I am contemplating using a 5S block with a blacktop head.

Love the build!

Pipedreams

That was fun, had to edit every post with a picture as the posting site changed their url. But now all the pictures are restored.

humancyborg

gunt":1rhi72am said:
IM USING AN ALTEZZA BLOCK FOR OUR FIRST ONE WITH THE 5S CRANK , HOPE IT HOLDS UP BUT IT WILL NEVER BE NEAR THE FIGURE YOUR TALKING , AR YOU CONSIDERING USING A LINER NEXT TIME ROUND

Just an FYI, the Blacktop BEAMS block does not seem to be that strong. This is cyl 2/3.

humancyborg

Pingman":8uf0yzms said:
I think that’s why people use the 5S block.

Could fit a Darton sleeve though?

Already have a late 5S block on the way. Just wanted to share my experience, as I have heard several people say that all 98+ S series blocks were as strong as each other.

abraxxa

Does the 5S block work with the VVTi head regarding oil and water passages?
If so every 3S block should be compatible too.

humancyborg

abraxxa":1g54wxi3 said:

The VVTi block has an oil passage which feeds a corresponding hole in the VVTi head. This hole feeds the VVTi solenoids housed in the front most camshaft caps. The 5S block does not have the oil passage in the block, so the simplest solution is to block off hole in the VVTi head and drill and a tap a fitting directly in to the camshaft cap containing the VVTi solenoids. Then it is a simple matter of feeding a pressurized oil source to it.

The other main difference between the BEAMS blocks and the 5S (and other 3S) is that there is an oil return fitting in the side of the block, which I had been using for my turbo return. A new turbo oil return fitting is needed.

Pingman

humancyborg":3fxkvnxt said:
abraxxa":3fxkvnxt said:

The VVTi block has an oil passage which feeds a corresponding hole in the VVTi head. This hole feeds the VVTi solenoids housed in the front most camshaft caps. The 5S block does not have the oil passage in the block, so the simplest solution is to block off hole in the VVTi head and drill and a tap a fitting directly in to the camshaft cap containing the VVTi solenoids. Then it is a simple matter of feeding a pressurized oil source to it.

The other main difference between the BEAMS blocks and the 5S (and other 3S) is that there is an oil return fitting in the side of the block, which I had been using for my turbo return. A new turbo oil return fitting is needed.

Weld one to the sump?