autojumbled ST185 narrow body

Talk about your project car here

Re: autojumbled ST185 narrow body

Postby autojumbled » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:57 pm

The 8mm Irwin bolt extractor made short work of the final bolt holding the fuel filler neck on the tank.
An old vs new pic to highlight the state of the old filler neck...and this is after I've given it a good wire brush to clean up during removal.
IMG_20200912_134053.jpg

Quick check inside the tank whilst I'm here and everything looks great. Walbro 255 pump was installed a couple years ago but hardly seen many miles since!
IMG_20200912_134147.jpg

New fuel filler neck on
IMG_20200912_135638.jpg

I will grab some paint and underseal just to give the whole assembly a coat of protection and top up any areas underneath before this all goes back on the car.

The tank straps are the next issue - they're pretty rotten but I have to rescue the brackets at either end as they're all discontinued except for 1 (of 4!).
I've got brand new straps from TCB and the single available strap bracket but will need to source new small 8mm bolts that hold the fuel tank cover in place and the larger M12 bolts that are used on the strap brackets, as well as try and recover the remaining brackets from the old straps. Everything has been wire brushed and is now taking a long bath in evaporust to try and see what is salvageable - will sort out pictures once it all comes out of the solution and I know what I'm dealing with. :)
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
autojumbled
Club Member

Re: autojumbled ST185 narrow body

Postby autojumbled » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:31 pm

After the tank strap bracketry came out of the evaporust it was pretty clear I wasn't going to be able to re-use the right hand side threaded bracket without some serious work. Thankfully this is the item that is still available from Toyota!
The left hand bracket was still very rusty and seized but a little more salvageable.

Managed to get the rusted bolt off with plenty of penetrant and careful spannering.

The brackets at the other ends of the straps look like this. Not too bad - will clean up ok.

Something I've recently had (limited) access to is a sand blasting cabinet and this has been invaluable for these parts! I've now blasted all the crusty brackets and taken back to bare metal, followed by a primer. Some new stainless nuts also arrived for when I rebuild.

Now all I need to do is finish painting the brackets and find a few other painting products to protect the filler neck and tank, then it can all go back together.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
autojumbled
Club Member

Previous

Return to My Project