1988 Alltrac - Slow Project

mkernz22

Hey guys, just joined the forum the other day because I picked up an 1988 Alltrac. I'm pretty well known on the 6gc.net forum, same username, so all my purchase / selling rep is there and is at 100%.

So I kind of got this for a steal cause it apparently had a "seized" engine.
The PO's story: I was pulling into my apartment complex, the engine shut off, and the wheels locked up. So I think it might have seized and bought a new car.
I thought: Okay, doesn't really sound like it seized up...
Especially since he just rebuilt the bottom end not even 350 miles ago..
So I get the car back to my house after purchasing it, start charging the battery for a bit and just try cranking it. It turned over slightly because of the dead battery. Kept charging it and about 3 hours later, and after 1 slight catch and die, it starts up just fine. No knocking, no squealing except for the alt belt, sounded amazing, but it kept stalling out. So I gave it gas and held it at 1k rpm's and it would hold there fine on it's own. If I revved it up it would come down, drop below 1k to about 500 and would stall. I figured it had to be vac related cause it was getting everything else.
He told me he had replaced this "coolant" hose on the back side of the engine because it was leaking. The piece he replaced it with was way too long and had 2 kinks in it. Not really that great flowing for coolant. I looked at it more to see where it went, and well I'll be damned, it went to the IAC. No ****ing wonder why the car kept stalling out. It wasn't receiving the correct vac at low rpm's because of the kink in the hose. :facepalm: x1,000,000.

Now for a list of the mods done to it.
From the PO before the guy I bought it off of:
-Rear poly bushings on all the control arms, don't think he touched the subframe or rear diff, but will check on that
-MR2 rear struts / cut front springs (oh well)
-ST185 front calipers
-CT26 was sent out to a shop and trimmed. **Talked to the guy and he said it might be a 60 trim now. I'll have to look into that when I rebuilt it.
-Exhaust / Water / Oil temp gauges
-Boost gauge (stock still works too)
-HKS Electronic Boost Controller
-Blitz Turbo Timer
-St205 transmission and rear differential. Both are confirmed.
-gForce ECU chip - semi confirmed, still have to open and check.
-Stupid f*cking hood pins. They're the flushish locking ones. Just need to buy new ones since I don't have the key or get a new hood.
-3" Downpipe to 3" straight exhaust to a Megan Racing muffler.
-JDM block / US head / EGR delete
-ST162 Cams

From the guy I bought it off of:
-Rebuilt bottom end; new pistons, rings, bearings, 1.6 or 1.8mm metal head gasket, ARP headstuds

Photos:

_DSC9381_zps78f464ec.jpg

_DSC9382_zpsa5bdcd86.jpg

_DSC9383_zps785f4f13.jpg

_DSC9384_zpsa4d51b48.jpg

_DSC9376_zps0ecf9f7a.jpg
_DSC9377_zps1f61a853.jpg

_DSC9378_zps47bebec8.jpg

^My cluster**** of a wiring mess I need to clean up and redo. Definitely need some plugs in there...

_DSC9379_zps3a6e1349.jpg

So yeah, that's that so far! As far as plans go, I just want to get most of the wiring installed, put caps on some of the unnecessary vac lines, hook up the boost controller, and small things for now. I really won't be doing much this winter since it'll be sitting. It was also from NC originally so it's not seeing snow. Majority of the stuff will be coming in the summer once I'm done swapping a gen2 3s into my 6gc.

Going to try and source ST185 front knuckles so I can do the st205 brake upgrade in the front and rear and it will also help with the coilover selection and not having to use that odd spacer either.

mkernz22

UtahSleeper":26ne9wsd said:
Great score. In most cases people say there is less wrong, you buy and there is more wrong. I envy you.

Thank you, I appreciate it haha
From the start I had a hunch that the engine wasn't actually seized. Yeah, there are some things wrong with it that I will fix, but I don't think it's anything I can't handle. Engine blown or not, the performance / swapped / other parts in this car are worth more than 3x what I even paid for it so I wasn't going to pass it up either way.

It's going to be quite the project once I can really start going full speed ahead. Mainly a weekend warrior, autoX, track car (not drag). I'll be focusing a bit on the engine with upgraded injectors, fuel pump, and some other things here and there, but I'm not looking to shoot for over 300hp or anything yet. I just want to make it decently quick, but primarily focus on the suspension and handling. It already has poly bushings in the rear control arms, but I have to check the rear sub frame to see if that has poly bushings or not too. If not, then I'll be putting those in as well as a poly rear differential mount. Definitely looking to convert to either st185 or st202 knuckles and source st205 hubs and bearings so I can do the st205 brake upgrade in the front and not have hub centric issues, and also do the st205 upgrade in the rear. Do an ABS delete and get a rear whiteline sway bar with poly bushing and new rear end links. Same will go for the front except the stock bar will stay in there. Then along the way with all that stuff I'll get coilovers too so it's not sitting on just struts and lowering springs. Last, but not least get a front 3pt sway bar and a rear 3pt as well. Most likely going to end up fabricating them myself once I get a welder and learn how to weld since I don't believe there are many options out there, if any.

Those are kind of my current plans, but they'll probably change a bit in time.

mkernz22

I believe this is definitely a gforce chip in the ECU. It definitely looks like it, but can anyone confirm?

10407108_10153412175623298_4252944251136025107_n.jpg

mkernz22

Yeah, so I kind of neglected this thread...oops.

This is how the car is looking right now, except I have all the extension on now.
IMG_20151020_133843_zps3btunska.jpg

Fixed some minor overheating issues
12052640_10154383964028298_3366909296390745067_o_zpsdubfizif.jpg

Left is new, right is old. I'm assuming it wasn't working cause the temp would shoot up when driving and take forever to drop down again.
12132557_10154383926203298_4783496474964064406_o_zpsipfhoush.jpg

Completely stripped another alltrac :cry: and kept all of the parts...literally as you can see.
11721747_10154132403468298_84838506_n_zpsfxwahi6a.jpg

11794261_10154208198868298_6320355865003046136_o_zps3h0o6wex.jpg

Got a full black interior in there now
20150718_193803_zpspakb868h.jpg

Other things I did were gut all of the sound deadening, which was about 25lbs worth (becauseracecar)
Rewired the stock oil pressure sensor and coolant temp sensor on the engine harness as the PO somehow screwed it up.
Boost is finally holding steady with the MBC I installed. Think the EBC wasn't working cause I had that tapped into the BOV line, and originally I just quickly set that up that vac line cause the PO didn't have it hooked up, and recently I realized that I hooked it up pre-throttle instead of post throttle.

Recently resealed one quarter window, have to do the passenger side over the winter, same goes for the windshield and the hatch. Hoping to find a roof with no sunroof before I do the windshield so that way I cut mine out and weld the other one in. Worst case, I just seal up the one that's currently in there and weld panel in place.

And yeah, that's where I'm currently at.

mkernz22

Oh and I bought a Corolla all-trac emblem for the front grille. Should be getting it this week.
Not exactly sure of how the fitment is going to be, but regardless, I'll make it work and look nice.

s-l500.jpg

Tecker185

I really dig the st205 wheels on a st165. If i ever get a good deal on one those will be my wheel of choice. Let me know when your going to do the front st205 brake conversion. Ive got the conversion all figured out. Im just waiting on $$ to buy the rest of the parts i need. Once ive got the parts im going to do a write up. Bolt on rotor no weird spacers behind it or anything.

mkernz22

Tecker184":cb3tps7d said:
I really dig the st205 wheels on a st165. If i ever get a good deal on one those will be my wheel of choice. Let me know when your going to do the front st205 brake conversion. Ive got the conversion all figured out. Im just waiting on $$ to buy the rest of the parts i need. Once ive got the parts im going to do a write up. Bolt on rotor no weird spacers behind it or anything.

That's the one thing I forgot. I actually bought the bracket for the BBBK brake upgrade so I just need to order calipers and rotors for it. Just can't actually put it on the car until I get 17in wheels to clear it, but that's the way I'm going since the 205 calipers cost way too much