1992 ST185 Carlos Sainz #4353 - code name ICICLE

SAS0662

I've always found that life is too short to be driving boring cars and God - and my ex-wives - know, I have had my share of 'interesting' rides! As I came out of my mid-life crisis - which lasted longer than of anyone I know - I thought it' was time to 'settle' at one last (?) interesting ride! Thought hard about the meaning of this and the criteria for my choice: had to be something that would not cost crazy money to buy nor upkeep, something sporty but not temperamental, something to be used regularly but be different! And finally, since I work for Toyota, ideally something from the home stable...
So I soon had a shortlist: 4th Gen Crown hardtop coupe, 1st Gen Celica Coupe, 5th Gen Celica CS, MK4 Supra TT.
I was living in Japan at the time and started looking at some of the JDM cars; was actually ready to pull the trigger on a black Supra when I got word of my new assignment back in Europe! Back to the drawing board, as RHD cars were not really my thing for European use...
And then I focused on the 4WD Turbo Carlos Sainz! The ST185 model was offered in the early Nineties; the years that I had joined Toyota! A white Carlos Sainz was actually driven as a company car by our HR Director back then and I remember how much I coveted that car! It was a car that can be had in Europe in fairly good numbers but not always in good condition! I wanted the 4WD for snowy, winter driving but did not want the sunroof! And it had to be White because everybody knows that the white CSs were faster!
So, I started searching online and while still in Japan I found #4353 in Spain! White, no sunroof, 125k Kms, all original, good shape, right price! Pulled some strings and had a local Toyota dealer check the car and provide me with a technical and cosmetic report. A few scratches on the body, nothing serious! No rust, straight and dry! Good leather interior! A few technical little things to take care of: rear hatch shocks, sticking hazard switch, blocked rear washer, small hole in exhaust, sticking radio buttons. But, thermostat, water pump and engine stutter in 2nd gear and between 3000-4000 rpms!
Anyway, I agreed that the owner would pay for the small repairs and decided to buy the car! He dropped it off at the dealership, send me the papers and they did the work needed! I arranged for transport of the car from Spain to Germany and the long wait begun!!!
The dealership took some time to finish the work and the transport company had to wait to fit it in their delivery schedule to Northern Europe! No biggie though; I was still in Japan and while there I started collecting JDM parts that I planned to put on the Celica! Day after day, our Japanese-size apartment filled with car parts and accessories! And then, it was time to relocate...
Within 3 weeks, at 7:00am of a grey Saturday morning, my good friend and genius mechanic Uwe (his story to follow) sms'ed me a distant photo of a delivery truck full of brand new SEATs bound for Denmark! Right in between the Spanish metal, I could barely make out the white silhuette of a Carlos Sainz! "Your car is here!" was the message! "On my way!" I answered back...
...and so, the ICICLE (my son's nickname for the Celica) saga begins!
Thanks for your patience - if you stayed with me so far!
More to come...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    918.9 KB · Views: 12,001

SAS0662

Well...

visited the 'garage' again today - that's Uwe's 'hand-built' Supra overlooking the CS - and started looking at some of the various add-ons...

The TTE roof air vent...

Trial fit of the TTE Light Pod...

Fitting the HKS AFK...

Unpacked the Amplifier...

Door Speakers...

Tweeters...

and Subwoofer!
And, before you know it, it was time to fly back to the North!
Back in 2 weeks for more! Plan to take out the interior then...

underscore

SAS0662":1koli2q9 said:
RCs are the JDM cars; in Europe, the Carlos Sainz Limited Edition did not have a rear badge...

Ah derp I forgot, I was thinking of the Aussie Grp A's with the yellow badge and ended up thinking Europe got a yellow CS badge.

XLarge

Let me know when You´re at Uwe´s garage again. Maybe I could manage it to meet You and your CS in Person.

SAS0662

Dear all,
Thank you for your kind comments!
The car was found on http://www.milanuncios.com/toyota-de-se ... -sainz.htm
Plan is to respect its condition and preserve its originality but incorporate upgrades that would enhance its performance and appearance; it will be done so that EVERYTHING could be reversed to original if one chooses to do so in the future.
Started to disassemble the leather interior in order to replace with a new Recaro sport package of custom design; the original front and rear seats will be kept in storage.
Original door cards will be replaced with System 10 ones in leather, etc...
Received the H4 lights (period correct :wink: ) and retaining rings to built the TTE light pod but the TTE mirrors (from GT4OC) are giving A LOT of trouble, as they require extensive modifications to fit!
Sourcing some exterior and interior Carbon trim from Lithuania and getting interior trim ready for carbon Hydro Transfer.
Compomotive wheels (17" Roulettes) expected at the end of the month and will need to decide on tires soon!
Optima YellowTop is ready for trunk relocation once the holding tray arrives from the U.S.
Photos next week...
So many plans, so little money!!!
Soto

SAS0662

they are shaped different from each other, asymmetrical, triangle insert larger than the A pillar mirror opening, mirror glass shaped different, etc.... Will not fit on the ST185 without MAJOR surgery!!!
I was told that "Yes they are slightly different size as back in the 90s they were hand made not machine; the moulds were taken from original TTE mirrors off my car so exactly the same. I have never had any fitting issues though some times we have to shave across the bottom due to being a bit thick layed up but they always just fit straight on we piolet drill the holes and screw them on. As with all composite parts there is always some fettling to make them fit"
We'll see...really want them to work as I find they look outstanding on the car!