Old build thread: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=48628
I forgot to post a build log here so here we go. I had to remove some of the pictures due to sizing and replaced them with links. Sorry February 27th, 2015
Parts ordered for timing belt kit from PrimeMR2.com
3rd Gen 3SGTE from JspecAuto. $2295 shipped.http://www.jspecauto.com/engine_details/1997/1994-1998_Toyota_TOYOTA_CELICA_3S-GTE_ALL_TRAC_ST-205_GT-4_TURBO_AWD_M/T_COMPLETE_SWAP!_CALDINA_ST215_3S_3SGTE_GT4
Video of compression test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lWE693jFwsMarch 11th, 2015
Picked up the car: The owner was an older gentlemen whose wife owned the car since new, purchased in Michael's Toyota in Bellevue. She passed away a few years ago and he just drove the car the weekends. The interior is absolutely immaculate. Seats were recently reupholstered. Everything works, including lumbar support and cruise control. The engine bay is clean but its leaking at the valve cover. Power delivery seems to be so so but the car has 200k+ miles. I'll get more pics later this evening.March 13th, 2015
Motor is delivered. Everything is settled in. Missing the MAP sensor and plug too though.April 17th, 2015
Timing belt. Looks like I need new cam seals and I stripped the philips screw on the water pump so that needed to be drilled out. Slight delay in finishing while I order those parts!
Ordered this to assist. Milwaukee Fuel 3/8" lithium impact. AMAZING. I never want to use air tools again it was so amazing.May 1st, 2015
Timing belt all buttoned up.
Berk ST205 downpipe received in the mail.
Broke every god damn fuel injector clip. Ordered new ones.
Boat anchor cat/downpipe removed.
Oil cooler and HFH (Hoses from Hell) removed.
Waiting to go on. They weren't this mangled before I removed them but they don't call them the HFH for nothing.May 3rd, 2015
Buttoned up the HFH install and downpipe. What a PITA that was...
This is pretty much all the space I had to remove the clip holding the clamp in place. Either that or remove the entire exhaust manifold :what:
Downpipe installed with this funny looking brace that took the OEM brace's place.
Pretty much just waiting on the axle seals and the fuel injector clips to drop the motor in. It'll be time to pull the existing motor, replace some bits while I'm in there, and drop the motor in. :thumbup:May 8th, 2015
Started to take the original motor apart.
No rusty battery tray!
This insane telescopic looking alternator cooling dust.
Also tested my new Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2" on the axle nut.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXL-wGfhhkUMay 9th, 2015
I was planning on dropping the motor today but I ran into a snag after dropping the subframe and axles. Looks like one of the bolts on the downpipe are stripped. I'm going to need to cut/drill that out.May 13th, 2015
Engine is out. During the removal I forgot to drain the oil which resulted in 4 quarts of oil mixed with trans fluid and power steering fluid. Not fun.
Also noticed the fuel filter bracket is missing. That will make for a difficult removal of the filter. Hard to tell from.the picture but its just floating by the fuel line.May 26th, 2015
Received my package from speed-source.net and proceeded to install the goodies inside.
New shifter bushings to replace the worn rubber.
The stainless clutch line seems to be a bit shorter than the original. I couldn't find any comparison pictures so I shot an email to speed source. Hopefully they will clarify.May 30th, 2015
Motor is all buttoned up and ready to drop in so I started to work on the front suspension.
First things first...something has to break
The control arm nut inside the unibody snapped off, letting the bolt float freely. I had to drill under the drivers side floor pan to get to it.
After that fiasco, I thought it would be best to just finish the drivers side and call it a day. Installed the powder coated knuckles with fresh bearings, new OEM ball joints, and then the coilovers...
The Ceika coilover sleeves I got were incorrect for the front. I swapped them with the rears and they bolted on fine. I shot an email to them to see if I could get the correct sleeves for the front. Its been a few months since I've ordered them so I might be SOL since I didn't check when I first got them.May 31st, 2015
Installed the swaybar endlinks, stainless lines, and new rotors. The brake pads I got seem to be a little too thick and probably cheapies since they came free with the rotors. I think I'm going to look into either Toyota OEM pads or EBC greens.
This little thing won't fit inside the other thing...sigh :banghead: I'll make it work.
Also removed the FRAM fuel filter and replaced with OEM. The OEM one came with the proper bracket to mount to the chassis where the FRAM one was supported only by the fuel lines themselves :facepalm: I mean come on, really...
Last edited by zaluss
on Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.