Project ST165-ST205 Swap

zaluss

mickeyfinn":15av9e9k said:
I'm also looking to follow in your footsteps on the brakes...
So, 93' ST185 brake calipers will bolt right on without modification? Just need to get new rotors and pads?
Where did you get the calipers & rotors? Looks like they are readily available on rock auto?

You'll need to trim the backing plate as well but yes it will bolt on with the carriers, calipers, rotors, and pads.

4uqhBG8h.jpg

Unfortunately I can't tell you how they feel yet because I've run into issues.

1. The right caliper had deep groves on the brake hose face, causing brake fluid to squirt under pressure so I had to replace that.
3. Both calipers had terrible washers that didn't seal the brake hose ontop of that so I had to pick up Toyota OEM washers.
2. Both calipers have extremely loose brake bleeders, making it extremely challenging to bleed because fluid is leaking past the threads.

So basically these refurb calipers have probably been through the ringer too many times. Maybe find a nice used set and rebuild them yourself.

Thanks for the info!
Let us know how well the new upgrade works once you get things solved.
Where did you end up getting the rotors and pads?

zaluss

mickeyfinn":itcixnrr said:
Thanks for the info!
Let us know how well the new upgrade works once you get things solved.
Where did you end up getting the rotors and pads?

StopTech makes a nice kit that includes slotted rotors and street pads for the ST185. I bought them from PartsGeek because it was cheapest.

I would have preferred plain rotors but it was cheaper.

How is your brake project coming along?

If the ST185 Brakes bolt on to an ST165, I wonder if a Wilwood Brake kit would also fit? Last I checked, it seemed they made an ST185 kit, but not ST165.

zaluss

mickeyfinn":1wtdhjcn said:
How is your brake project coming along?

If the ST185 Brakes bolt on to an ST165, I wonder if a Wilwood Brake kit would also fit? Last I checked, it seemed they made an ST185 kit, but not ST165.

I have the system all bled and ready to test but WA is currently covered in smoke so I haven't taken the car out to road test.

I believe a Wilwood kit for the ST165 can be had from Revolution Brakes but they don't clear 15" which is what I need. My OZ wheels didn't even clear them with the wheel weights :cry:

zaluss

Got the wheels back today all nicely powdercoated and straightened. I was going to order new decals but now I don't know becausse the plain look is pretty nice.

Q95CQyth.png

zaluss

Finally had a chance to mount the wheels and test out the brakes. Worthwhile upgrade.

Took some pictures while I was out with the wife.

Ti1pxqKh.jpg

Ui3a7fqh.jpg

xRNDITQh.jpg

Still liking the ST185 Brakes? Wondering if I should do the same upgrade on my ST165.
Have you noticed a big difference?
I don't really want to spend $1,000 on a Wilwood setup.

zaluss

mickeyfinn":3hjay8ct said:
Still liking the ST185 Brakes? Wondering if I should do the same upgrade on my ST165.
Have you noticed a big difference?
I don't really want to spend $1,000 on a Wilwood setup.

Brakes so far are really good. I mean they aren't amazing by modern standards but they are better than what I had before. Recommended unless you are willing to go with larger wheels then the wilwood setup is probably better.

In other news, I took the car out for a long drive last week and found the steering to be really vague/floaty. I lifted the car and found that the drivers side wheel had significant play so removed the outer tie rod from the knuckle and found no play. Checked the ball joints, steering rack, etc all checked out so I went and started torquing all the bolts down.

Unfortunately when it came to the axle nut it just kept spinning when I tried to torque it. I removed the axle nut and found it completely stripped on both the nut and the threads on the axle :bangshead:

i2nZPqLl.png

Replaced the axle, torqued the new nut down to spec, and now the steering feels much better. While I was in there I replaced the steering ujoint since it was cheap and I've read that it could help with steering feel.

fFf9EWNl.png

phattyduck

Check the rear lateral link outer bushings (pillow balls). They wear out and give odd on-off throttle steering feel.

-Charlie

zaluss

Not much to report but I did mount my snow tires on and put my daily (Focus RS on all season :shrug: ) to shame during this years Seattle blizzard.

Oxmsd0n.png

m9rIbwD.png

Roreri

$26K for a sweet little head turner like that, plus you put a Gen3 3S-GTE in it? Money well spent!

My old OZ Cronos are trending toward tired. It's about time to do a repaint, but I'd want a set of stickers too. How you like them?

zaluss

Roreri":3dn56msk said:
$26K for a sweet little head turner like that, plus you put a Gen3 3S-GTE in it? Money well spent!

My old OZ Cronos are trending toward tired. It's about time to do a repaint, but I'd want a set of stickers too. How you like them?

Stickers were perfect though a bit pricey (I think it was $70 shipped, still need to add to the tracker!) https://www.facebook.com/VeistTees

r4CDzCsl.png