Project ST165-ST205 Swap

Talk about your project car here

Re: Project ST165-ST205 Swap

Postby mickeyfinn » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:49 pm

Still liking the ST185 Brakes? Wondering if I should do the same upgrade on my ST165.
Have you noticed a big difference?
I don't really want to spend $1,000 on a Wilwood setup.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
mickeyfinn
Club Member

Postby zaluss » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:28 pm

mickeyfinn wrote:Still liking the ST185 Brakes? Wondering if I should do the same upgrade on my ST165.
Have you noticed a big difference?
I don't really want to spend $1,000 on a Wilwood setup.

Brakes so far are really good. I mean they aren't amazing by modern standards but they are better than what I had before. Recommended unless you are willing to go with larger wheels then the wilwood setup is probably better.

In other news, I took the car out for a long drive last week and found the steering to be really vague/floaty. I lifted the car and found that the drivers side wheel had significant play so removed the outer tie rod from the knuckle and found no play. Checked the ball joints, steering rack, etc all checked out so I went and started torquing all the bolts down.

Unfortunately when it came to the axle nut it just kept spinning when I tried to torque it. I removed the axle nut and found it completely stripped on both the nut and the threads on the axle :bangshead:

Replaced the axle, torqued the new nut down to spec, and now the steering feels much better. While I was in there I replaced the steering ujoint since it was cheap and I've read that it could help with steering feel.

zaluss
Club Member

Postby phattyduck » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:41 pm

Check the rear lateral link outer bushings (pillow balls). They wear out and give odd on-off throttle steering feel.

-Charlie
'89 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GTE - SV25/ST205 hybrid
'99 4Runner SR5 4WD 5VZ-FE
Previous: '88 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GE BEAMS, '90 Camry 3S-GTE, '90 Camry DX
phattyduck
Established Member

Postby zaluss » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:49 pm

Not much to report but I did mount my snow tires on and put my daily (Focus RS on all season :shrug: ) to shame during this years Seattle blizzard.

zaluss
Club Member

Postby mickeyfinn » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 pm

Nice to see your car out and about!
Looks like fun!
mickeyfinn
Club Member

Postby Rick89GTS » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:33 am

Love that pewter colour. My 165 is unstoppable with snowies on
Rick89GTS
GTFour God

Postby alltracman78 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:12 pm

Rick89GTS wrote:Love that pewter colour. My 165 is unstoppable with snowies on

Yeah, that looks awesome!
alltracman78
GTFour God

Postby zaluss » Wed May 25, 2022 7:10 pm

Haven't updated here in awhile (again) but I added new OZ decals courtesy of Veist otherwise not much as changed.

I also updated and published my cost tracker on google docs for everyone. It's sort of mind blowing how much I've spent on this car.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
zaluss
Club Member

Postby Roreri » Wed May 25, 2022 7:55 pm

$26K for a sweet little head turner like that, plus you put a Gen3 3S-GTE in it? Money well spent!

My old OZ Cronos are trending toward tired. It's about time to do a repaint, but I'd want a set of stickers too. How you like them?
Roreri
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby zaluss » Wed May 25, 2022 8:09 pm

Roreri wrote:$26K for a sweet little head turner like that, plus you put a Gen3 3S-GTE in it? Money well spent!

My old OZ Cronos are trending toward tired. It's about time to do a repaint, but I'd want a set of stickers too. How you like them?

Stickers were perfect though a bit pricey (I think it was $70 shipped, still need to add to the tracker!) https://www.facebook.com/VeistTees

zaluss
Club Member

Postby underscore » Wed May 25, 2022 10:48 pm

zaluss wrote:Haven't updated here in awhile (again) but I added new OZ decals courtesy of Veist otherwise not much as changed.

I also updated and published my cost tracker on google docs for everyone. It's sort of mind blowing how much I've spent on this car.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Spread over 8+ years that's not too bad for a car that's also a hobby. I should really do the same for mine but I won't like the result lol.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby Mateo » Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:52 pm

GT4times2 wrote:Looking good!! How do you like BRD products? Who's blue ST165 is in the background? Any more pics from the car meet/show?

Ha, I'm the owner of the blue one now. Always come to this thread when I need good pictures, I forgot that's now my car in the back. I can recognize that missing bumper paint a mile away.
Mateo
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Postby zaluss » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:19 pm

At the end of July I noticed that my ebay aluminum radiator has once again started leaking from the same place the last two leaked. In addition to that, it looks like my Berk DP bashed in the radiator. At first I thought engine movement and bad motor mounts caused it but it seems that my radiator fans are pressing against my oil/trans cooler and shifted the radiator out of alignment.

I ordered another Ebay radiator which prompted arrived and no longer has an OPL logo stamped on it. It also seems nicer than the last two I have so that works.

I figured while I was there I would replace the downpipe with a nice BRD one. The Berk gen3 downpipe I've had installed for several years has been fine but the flex section has seen better days and it was already several years old when I bought it. Lou was kind enough to supply a new turbo gasket (at Toyota cost to save me some time).

Downpipe removal wasn't too bad. The rear most nut against the oil cooler is the biggest issue but with some creative bending of a cheap harbor freight long 14mm, I was able to get it.

Turbo looking good.

Downpipe installed. The O2 sensor position shifted from the Berk DP and the metal shielding ontop interferes with the factory exhaust heat shield so I had to remove that.

I didn't take any pictures but radiator installed, fans properly mounted, and I redid all the wiring I did for the fans from several years ago with marine grade heat-shrink butt connectors and tidied up the wiring. While I had the car in the air I also replaced the rear diff fluid.

Last thing to do is fill up the coolant and replace the air filter while I have the airbox apart.

I also managed to get a LHD set of grey metallic manual folding mirrors which plug and play with the US cars. I took them apart and will drop them off for paint next week.

Also for those that are aware, Carbon Microsystems has finally completed and shipped our ST165 carbon fiber hoods after a nearly two year wait. Should be arriving in the next week or so. It uses the ST185 RC soop design laid over the ST165 hood and includes everything except the mesh so if any of you have a ST185 RC/CS center mesh screen to let go, let me know!

I've since updated the cost tracker and it still hurts to look at. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
zaluss
Club Member

Postby Roreri » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:31 pm

Seeing a 165 with a CS hood is gonna blow minds. I hope it arrives soon!
Roreri
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby zaluss » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:47 pm

Roreri wrote:Seeing a 165 with a CS hood is gonna blow minds. I hope it arrives soon!

It arrived and it was such an interesting/terrible experience with the airport. I'll detail that another time but suffice to say it took several hours from arrival to actual collection of my hood due too poor communication from the airport cargo companies.

The package was VERY well packaged and it took me at least 20 minutes to remove the hood from the box. The box is so good infact that I kept it to store my original hood in.

The hood itself is really impressive and fitment is reasonably good. You can see in the pictures that it isn't absolutely perfect but it is very close. There are a few issues with the fitment that need to be pointed out:

The hole that accepts the rear latch is missing. I simply drilled this out with a small hole saw and cleaned up the edges with a dremel sander. Carbon cuts through like butter so it was easy. I've noted this to Carbon Microsystems to hopefully address with future production.

• The hood latch on the hood side seems misaligned and when you try to close the hood, it overlaps the drivers side headlight and fender no matter how much adjustment is made. I fitted the hood without the hood latch, and it fits well so I elongated the holes on the hood latch to shift it over slightly to the left which allows the hood to close properly. I'm not entirely sure if this can be addressed at least until I see the others receive their hoods and note their experiences.
  • There are some minor finish issues with the clear but it's in places that aren't really visible. The hood latch catch is rough but acceptable give it's use, at least to me.
  • The grill for the center hood scoop is not provided and unavailable but it was designed to fit the OEM ST185 CS/RC one but good luck finding it.
  • The windshield washer nozzles are also for the ST185 and seem specific to the RC. Too large to fit the ST165 ones.

zaluss
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to My Project