Twin Turbo V6 1993 Alltrac Project

underscore

Well that's unfortunate, good to know before I blow a bunch of money trying to get a RHD rack over here though.

MWP

I do a decent amount of competition, and the factory rack is ok for it.
Sure, a bit quicker would be nice, but its really not worth the effort to fit something else unless your at that 10/10ths level.

I manualized the factory rack and then used an electric power steering column with it.
The EPS does work great. Lots of assistance at low speed which makes turning quickly easy, and then its dampened at high speed which helps keep the car stable.
Its also reliable, has no fluids, nothing in the engine bay for it (no PS pump and lines!), etc.

fhalperformance

I have seen the post about electric power steering column swapped in that was very interesting. Im looking to loose weight the new steering column Ive selected has an adjustable steering wheel height and the column itself weights less then 11 lbs. I have the means to make it work for me but Im hoping its close to the original for mounting purposes. I am plagued by power steering leaks and Im truly getting sick of it. I am hoping to have some progress on that front in the next two weeks.

I have to get the mock up chassis back in the garage I just gota get my mk3 mr2 back on its wheels to get it out of the way. Which means getting at least far enough on the custom axles to be able to hold the wheel bearing together on my freshly converted 5x114 hubs.

I spent the weekend stripping the mk3 mr2 to weigh stuff, selling parts and cleaning the garage so i can get one more car in there without putting anything else outside. The new 10 lb fixed back bucket seats will be on their way monday.

fhalperformance

i have thats an option if this doesnt work out. I want a quicker ratio thats the main reason for trying to swap and the steering column for it is lighter which is a bonus.

fhalperformance

Spent the night wiring up an outlet for my new plasma cutter and playing with some things, stripping parts off my mk3 spyder I wont be using in the build to make some cash back on the swap, cleaning up the scrap in the shop, ordered a pair of lightweight racing bucket seats (lost 64 lbs right there), got more stuff ready to weigh while I figure out transfer case question, ordered an extension cord for my plasma cutter so I can use it anywhere within 100 feet, and picking up a electric winch for use on my trailer so I can start moving around my non running cars easier.

I spoke with someone who has fitted a 3vz to a alltrac transmission successfully. And by successfully I mean he has them bolted together: they still havent been run in a car. Looks like it may be possible to grind reinforcements off the motor and clearance the transfer case to make it fit. I have a spare transfer case from a junk transmission Im going to see if I can make it fit and a parts motor that I will be gutting for the brand new block I have. That being said I dont want to grind on the new block so that will probably sit on the shelf for now till I find a way around modifying the block.

I need to weigh my aluminum tank but I dont know when that will ever come out. Im working on a couple of small things while Im trying to get the car into the garage. Hopefully this week I can mate a trans and engine successfully for fab work. The plan for now may be just to run a single turbo on stock internals should be good for mid 400s given some of the turbo tacoma guys ive talked to. Just gota see if that will fly with the compressor maps. I briefly toyed with the idea of dropping both my stock 5vz one into the mk3 mr2 and the other into a trac, putting a turbo on each of them and seeing what the end result would be of both but Ive really gone too far with the 2gr in the mk3 mr2 to want to start over with another v6.

Current weight of my 5vz without upper manifold sections or alternator: 350 lbs so Im lighter then a 3sgte and a 2gr (according to in service weight) I have yet to weigh both but they are on the list for the coming months. I have extra paid help on the weekend so things have been moving faster around here.

-new column weight

-reorganizing shop so I can fit another car.

fhalperformance

Got some parts in. Got a line on a rav4 trans I may scoop to see if I can make it work without modifying the block. As much as Id like to keep the alltrac transfer as I have a ton of them for spares I don't want to modify my brand new block so maybe this will allow me to run it. Spent most of the time cleaning and organizing the shop so I can get the trac in the garage.

-going from 2 factory seats to 1 lightweight bucket will save me 73 lbs approximately per weighed factory components. brings my total weight of the car to 2867 lbs with a half tank.

fhalperformance

Trying to pickup another trac to finish the collection so this build has lost some momentum. I got some motors in some cars to swap around so Im going to be pretty busy the next couple of months.

Debating whether or not to mount my veilside ff-gt wing on rear of the car. I really will have more traction then the power Im making at the moment really needs. Im thinking some rear downforce may help balance out the front weight bias but this is a different car then Ive ever tracked. I got 40+ road course hours in a mk2 mr2 that weights less then 2500 lbs so its a bit different and I did have some reliability issues first time at the track.

New parts:
+Aluminum radiator to replace one in car
+Significantly larger heat exchanger & lighter water pump
+SSBC adjustible proportioning valve to replace factory lines/prop valves
+Picked up some universal splash proof fuse boxes for when I eliminate complete factory harness
+Hoosier 275/35r18 A7 slicks with 3 heat cycles to go on. Got another 2 sets coming when a sponsored team I know gets new tires.
+Got some 25mm 5x100 to 5x114.3 wheel spacers that I can rob off my 00 widebody gts if I need them to fit the rims
+Project Mu MC800 custom ordered brake pads front and rear to eliminate pad heat issues

Coming up:
+Swap in replacement aluminum radiator to replaced damaged radiator
+Install lightweight bucket seat
+Modifying body to fit 275 inch slicks
+Mount proportioning valve in cabin for on the fly changes
+Brake ducts possibly
+Damaged alltrac hood to make a custom roof scoop skin to replace sunroof panel. Still toying with the idea.

-powder coated my exhaust heat shields which probably wont make them on the car. Should probably sell them lol

-restoring a spare ST185 tank

-restoring a spare ST185 tank

-factory timing belt mounting bracket that should bolt up. cant wait to see how this fits.

fhalperformance

The deal on the 92 trac fell through. After offering more then asking price and seller dragging his feet/not responding regularly he tried to start a bidding war for even more then what i offered him with someone who came along later. Everything got kind of sketchy and with having to ship it I had to bail on the purchase which I wasnt happy about. Got a great deal on 205 parts locally so I feel a little better. Still looking for an affordable 92 trac project to v8 rwd swap let me know lol.

Calling to order a custom clutch this week fingers crossed, picking up a st205 transmission and rear st205 complete subframe assembly this weekend that will go in the 90 trac, and hoping to drop motor in car soon. I test fit a rav4 transfer case and it clears the block without modification or so it seems, and fit the 3vz timing belt engine mount bracket (slight trimming required). RC transmission internals, 205 case with some other parts, rav4 differential and transfer case may work out just nicely I think just have to find the special puller I bought and lost lol.

fhalperformance

Picked up some 275/35r18 Hoosier A7 slicks for this season at the track. Fit them to my XXR527s and they look great. Did a quick test fit on my car to see what I need to modify in order to run the tires. Front fenders need to be pulled, rear quarters need to be cut/flared to even bolt the rim and tire on. Looks Like I wont need any spacers in the front the rims fit perfect on several Toyota vehicles that I have tried them on with no rubbing at full lock. They look mean I cant wait to set the car on them for real!!

SSBC proportioning valve will be installed this saturday (hopefully) and its going in cabin for on the fly adjustment if necessary. Hoping to eliminate some more dead weight from the car we will have to see how it goes. Picked up some factory doors for when I start making molds for carbon fiber versions without moldings of course. Factory doors weight approximately 71 lbs without door skins with glass so Im not sure how much weight there is to loose there. Really hoping to use a factory alltrac hood to replace the sunroof skin but I dont know how it will end up looking... Gota visualize that some more.

fhalperformance

-modification planned for rear wheel. I need to make sure the back is cambered all the way after I installed the 205 arms I never changed anything. The camber bolts I used previously to make camber the same on both sides not max it out. Im hoping to get some serious numbers back there more so then the -1 they were. Time to bust out the unused new plasma cutter lol been super busy lately havent gotten anything done except buying a expensive extension cord.

fhalperformance

Bought the transmission parts I need I should have them later this week. Motor is coming out of the mr2 so I can rob the custom flywheel and clutch for the project just havent decided if Im dropping my complete 2nd gen 3sgte into the mr2 or to leave it for the v8 swap i have been collecting parts for the last couple of months.

Havent finished the slick/18 inch rim installation yet got a steal on a spare st205 rear subframe complete with everything, spare st205 transmission to modify with my own personal touches, a 89 camry alltrac tank with sender and straps in great shape for a friend, got some done on the mk3 mr2 5x114 conversion for the front end, lots and lots of stuff. Hoping to get the mounts started for the steering rack conversion once I get the rest of the motor out of my st215 swapped fab chassis.

Ill post pictures when my phone finishes backing up.

fhalperformance

Cant wait for parts tranny to get here so I can finish getting the v6 ready to drop in. Had slight difficulty bolting st185 rear brakes onto st205 rear hubs but that was solved with some washers for now. Hopefully in the next two weeks I can get my steering rack conversion mounted, the remainder of the st215 motor removed & possibly get the v6 installed.

-fab chassis 205 rear subframe installation. Got it off my trailer so I can get the new 92 on it.

-st205 rear end.

-fully installed rear 205 subframe with st185 brakes and wheels so the thing can roll again.

-will have front 5x114 conversion for the mk3 mr2 done this week.

AwdGte

Where did you find all of the st205 stuff? Awesome project, are you worried about the strength of the st185 trans or the Rav4 transfer case?

fhalperformance

I found it from someone with a 205 conversion that they had purchased & were looking to unload. Tried to buy the whole car with everything but the seller changed the deal after it was already worked out so I bailed. 6 months later he texts me and says the guy who bought the chassis never came back and paid for the parts that were suppose to go with it. I got a very good deal on a truck load of 205 parts it was a no brainer.

There is no reliability information for the hybrid transmission with big power Ill have to find out on my own. Im not worried about it the transfer cases are not expensive and I have some ideas about other replacement transfer cases I need to check out when I have a budget for research and development again.

Hoping to have an update on my custom spec brake pads tomorrow since I havent heard anything yet. I need to finalize my bare chassis loading setup, test my winch & get my diesel road worthy again before I can make any more progress on the build.

AwdGte

I'd be interested to see how strong the Rav4 transfer case is.

If you hear of another st205 rear can you let me know?

fhalperformance":27g8ltyi said:
I found it from someone with a 205 conversion that they had purchased & were looking to unload. Tried to buy the whole car with everything but the seller changed the deal after it was already worked out so I bailed. 6 months later he texts me and says the guy who bought the chassis never came back and paid for the parts that were suppose to go with it. I got a very good deal on a truck load of 205 parts it was a no brainer.

There is no reliability information for the hybrid transmission with big power Ill have to find out on my own. Im not worried about it the transfer cases are not expensive and I have some ideas about other replacement transfer cases I need to check out when I have a budget for research and development again.

Hoping to have an update on my custom spec brake pads tomorrow since I havent heard anything yet. I need to finalize my bare chassis loading setup, test my winch & get my diesel road worthy again before I can make any more progress on the build.