Bringing a ST185 back from the dead one last time

awdmofo

So while covering things up I while soda blast and sand down the engine bay, I moved the clutch slave cylinder and it fell apart. Its amazing how many things need to be replaced after 33 years. YIKES! MSRP is like $120 for one of these, even a discounted toyota dealer wants $87, yet they are like $21.89 new for an AISIN brand on rock auto. Anyone use any aftermarket ones before??

image000000 (26).jpg

Last edited:

Tippo

So while covering things up I while soda blast and sand down the engine bay, I moved the clutch slave cylinder and it fell apart. Its amazing how many things need to be replaced after 33 years. YIKES! MSRP is like $120 for one of these, even a discounted toyota dealer wants $87, yet they are like $21.89 new for an AISIN brand on rock auto. Anyone use any aftermarket ones before??

View attachment 8131
yup, i got one from rockauto. it's fine. quality doesn't seem like AISIN but it's been working for 2 years so who knows. 🤷‍♂️

awdmofo

yup, i got one from rockauto. it's fine. quality doesn't seem like AISIN but it's been working for 2 years so who knows. 🤷‍♂️
Nice, I just ordered the AISIN one. Hope it stands up for a long time. I remember replacing one on my turbo 91 MR2 that was about maybe 12-13 years old back in the day. So I think this one should be fine for a while.

Xmas came early today!!! my slightly used TT supra pump! And yes, I'm a 40 year old man child that wears santa socks.

Attachments

• image000001 (10).jpg
    image000001 (10).jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image000000 (27).jpg
    image000000 (27).jpg
    149 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

awdmofo

Was tired of holding open the hatch with a wooden stick, man the hatch weighs a lot! Replaced the blown struts with some I got on amazon for $34 shipped. Work great! Time to finish up my TT fuel pump install.

Attachments

• new hatch struts.jpg
    new hatch struts.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 3
  • new struts.jpg
    new struts.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 3

Roreri

Was tired of holding open the hatch with a wooden stick, man the hatch weighs a lot! Replaced the blown struts with some I got on amazon for $34 shipped. Work great! Time to finish up my TT fuel pump install.
Yeah the gas struts were an early replace for me too. It’s the little things. They add up.

At this point OEM parts are hard. Hard to find. Hard to pay for. Eventually it becomes a Ship of Theseus situation, but the main thing is having a functioning vehicle.

When I was chasing down performance issues with my Gen2, I noticed the fuel rail was an Aisin part, so…